Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new throne of skulls GT grandtournament pack has been released...

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1240205a_ToS_Rules_Pack.pdf

In brief its now a case of playing versus the same armies as yourself and beating the mean average of that armies points by the biggest margin.

The winner is never the guy on the higher tables at the end.

There's also some kind of "favourite army" voting system which for me seems way too high.

3 points for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss.

Over 5 games you can score up to 15 points.

Bonus points are awarded for every coach that picked you as their best for whatever reason out of their 5 opponents. So, for example if your opponent has tits she'll get more points... Don't deny it, geeks will vote it.

If you get 1 vote you get a bonus point, 2 votes you get 3 points, 3 or more votes you get 5 bonus points. Yum. Total bollocks.

Also you only get 5 games now in a two day event. 5 for the price of 6. Result!

I missed my first ever GT last year and frankly don't intend to ever attend another.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The GTs sold out super fast- they were popular and worked. Now this. I can't fathom the boy in a bubble mentality (or pure arrogance) that has brought this about.

They already had campaign weekends, why did they need to take away the only GW event I actually liked?

·
Registered
765 Posts
What. The. Fuck.

So say I got some mates to bring...what would the least popular army be...tomb kings? And we agreed that they would all play terrible on purpose and I would play my best so that they kept the average score for tomb kings very low and I would be well above it. Then even though I didn't score as high as the best player - lets say dark elf - I could win because I'm so high above the average.

But what do I care anyway? Never been to a GT and never intend to.

Edit: BTW, how much were the tickets to this thing?

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What. The. Fuck.

So say I got some mates to bring...what would the least popular army be...tomb kings? And we agreed that they would all play terrible on purpose and I would play my best so that they kept the average score for tomb kings very low and I would be well above it. Then even though I didn't score as high as the best player - lets say dark elf - I could win because I'm so high above the average.

But what do I care anyway? Never been to a GT and never intend to.

Edit: BTW, how much were the tickets to this thing?
Its a valid point though. The system is so open to abuse. It's crap.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
If eight players got together at the Local Store, and all played different armies and each other, and all agreed to give one opponent best player he'd win without actually winning a single game it would seem!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
so you turn and play armys the same as you. so if im the only player who turns with say, a radical DH inquisitor army, does that mean i get 5 auto wins??
it does leave the tourny open to abuse and some possible score/vote rigging

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Fynn, you would be playing against random opponents, but the overall victor is determined by the margin of victory of the best person playing each army. The person with the greatest margin over their comrades would be the overall winner. The situation you are proposing is actually one of the biggest weakness of the system.

Lets say you are the only person playing army X in this ToS tournament and you score Y points. To determine your margin of victory you first find the average.

Your score (Y) points / Number of players for your army (1) = Average score for your army (Y) points.

Therefore the average score is your score. Then you subtract the average score from your score to find the average.

Your score (Y) - Average Score for your army (Y) = Your margin of victory (0).

It is therefore impossible both for a player who is the only person playing their army to lose Best Player Army X and to win Best Overall, even if they table their opponent every game and never lose a model. That is why ToS is a horrid system.

EDIT: Disregard that, valid point though I believe it is, I neglected to finish the packet to where GW artificially sets the average at a draw every game. Still not a system I like, but at least they realize they would bollocks that one up if they hadn't put that in there.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Look at it this way. You come with Orks, and there are 10 other ork players, they average 5, and you have an 11, then you get a 6, even if you never played anyone. This is a blatant "Mech Guard Always wins" poke, becuase if Mech guard win every round, and everyone averages 15, and the winner of guard gets 16, he wins a delta of 1. If you come with Eldar, and there's one other player, and you get 15 by massively good playing, and the other guy averages 3 cause he's just not that good, then you win by 12, taking the tourney by storm. Even if your win/loss ratio was worse than the mech guard.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
So let me see if I've got this right, your graded not based on your overall performance, but against the players using the same race as you?

So if I get this, then let's say out of twenty players, you've got ten playing Space Marines, three each playing Chaos Marines and Orks, and then two Eldar, and two Tau players.

Let's say that one of the Space Marine players wins all five games, and one of those playing as the other races wins all five as well, let's say a Tau player, then the Tau player would win the tournament, right?

Seems a strange way of determining the winner to me, but I suppose it's intended to encourage people to be more diverse in choosing which race they play, still and odd system.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Not forgetting that stupid bonus point addition.... As said, pretty much if you've got boobs, you've won.
Clarification: If you are female with boobs - congrats you've won. If you are a male with boobs - not so much.:eek:k:

·
Registered
564 Posts
i'm not a big fan of the GTs mainly because i'm more of a campaign weekend player but also because i'm a bit of an uncompetitive (pronounced shit) gamer, however it strikes me that if you intend to have a tournament have a bloody tournement. don't try a wargaming version of a special school sports day where everyone gets a pat on the back and a rosette to make mummy proud.

and what the hell is the friday registration crap all about? are you supposed to get there and hand in your roster a day early or is it an optional thing to speed things up if you are able to do so?

does anyone remember the Standard Bearer article a year or two back when JJ stated his son had started attending tournements. anyone wonder if he wasn't doing so well?

as for the boobs thing, hell they don't need to face me on a gaming table to get a prize!

·
Registered
941 Posts
so then if another player in my race sucks ass I have to pay for it??!! WTF ??!! Grrrr.... %&(&*^&*&*( %##%^

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmmm Now I know why the GW tourneys here in that states get little attention and its all about the big Wargame conventions. Adepticon being the big one near me. These rules are stupid. In theory GW could have whoever they wanted to win take home the prize with some trickery and well placed people. Or just making suggestions.

Whatever happened to just stomping your opponents and calling it good. being the best Orc or Guard player does not make you the best in the tournament, unless there is only one other guy playing your army and doing crappy apparently.

·
Registered
282 Posts
so then if another player in my race sucks ass I have to pay for it??!! WTF ??!! Grrrr.... %&(&*^&*&*( %##%^
Nope! it is, indeed, the opposite; if the other player in your race sucks you will win by a larger margin than him, he's doing you a favour. The problem is, if another player with the same race as you rocks, even if it's the least powerful race out there, you both hinder each other by rising the average.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts