1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All right thanks for the feedback. I've got no other way to do robes that I know I as such, but I was aiming for a sort of aged/worn/dirty look.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. Im fairly new to 40k and that was my first robe ever, so its not bad per se. How do you suggest going from dark to light? Blending the colours or just layer upon layer?

Cheers.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Im fairly new to 40k and that was my first robe ever, so its not bad per se. How do you suggest going from dark to light? Blending the colours or just layer upon layer?

Cheers.
I like the effect you are going for bud.

Just progressively build up the layers. If you are aiming for a used/battle worn look keep the highlights more muted than crisp and sharp.

The technique I would use would be a basecoat of the darker coloured robe. For example, I use Vallejo paints but would go for a black undercoat, a dark brown base and then as I build up to the outer folds/creases I would add perhaps Green Ochre or Iraqi Sand. I always avoid using white as it tends to look too sharp. The robe will have a deep base colour within the folds but maybe three or four layers on the creases.

Hope that makes sense :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the effect you are going for bud.

Just progressively build up the layers. If you are aiming for a used/battle worn look keep the highlights more muted than crisp and sharp.

The technique I would use would be a basecoat of the darker coloured robe. For example, I use Vallejo paints but would go for a black undercoat, a dark brown base and then as I build up to the outer folds/creases I would add perhaps Green Ochre or Iraqi Sand. I always avoid using white as it tends to look too sharp. The robe will have a deep base colour within the folds but maybe three or four layers on the creases.

Hope that makes sense :)
Yeah definitely thanks! I've been surfing YouTube and found a tutorial by JudgeGudge on how he does his robes. I like his finished effects so I will try that tomorrow and then add my own "dark" spin on it. Any idea what the paints you suggests would be in Citadel? So far I've thought of using a black base, then Scorched brown, then Mournfang Brown, then a full layer of Rakarth flesh. Then Ushabti Bone for the shadows, a mix of Rakarth and Ushabti for the areas leading to the highlights and then a mix of Rakarth and Celestra gray for the hightlights slowly blending in. Possibly adding skull white for the very edge highlights.

I'll link that YouTube clip here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQkg0oyCzXI

Cheers for your time,
Chris.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Altho i said about doing layers, myself im lazy doing em, i just do Bleached Bone (or whatever its called now) then go over in Devlan Mud(now called Agrax Earthshade) then high light with Bleach Bone, then for a worn look, i just do a few layers of Devlan Mud on the bottom of 3rd the robe or loin cloth getting darker lower to the bottom i go.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Altho i said about doing layers, myself im lazy doing em, i just do Bleached Bone (or whatever its called now) then go over in Devlan Mud(now called Agrax Earthshade) then high light with Bleach Bone, then for a worn look, i just do a few layers of Devlan Mud on the bottom of 3rd the robe or loin cloth getting darker lower to the bottom i go.
Sweet I might try that too.
Cheers.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Any idea what the paints you suggests would be in Citadel?
I don't use any Citadel so don't know what the equivalents would be sorry.

Generally anything beige, desert, bone colours will all work. The brown will be lighter than the base coat but not overly striking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've tried to do the layering approach, with darker colors in the recesses and building up to highlights, but it doesn't look right.....anything I might be doing wrong? Or anything that seems to make the robes look better? I'm not happy with it myself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried the whole blending colors from shadow to highlight thing. Didn't exactly go to play and didn't come out nicely. Any Tips?

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
To be honest i think considering your experience your model has come out very well, the robes look clean and its darker where it should be and lighter at the edges, very well done i say!

tip for the future, try to get used to the idea of not sticking your model completely together and paint it in sections, so for example glue the legs to the torso and then to the base and paint that, then glue on the other bits on top that way you wont be trying to get your brush into difficult areas and get paint on to the head and shoulders and such.

to be clear, there is no real right or wrong way to paint a model, its really what you want at the the end of the day, there are different techniques you can learn,from very simple stuff like dry brushing to wet blending, you tube is a great tool for learning, only wish i had youtube twenty years ago when i was learning, all i had was lies printed in white dwarf.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To be honest i think considering your experience your model has come out very well, the robes look clean and its darker where it should be and lighter at the edges, very well done i say!

tip for the future, try to get used to the idea of not sticking your model completely together and paint it in sections, so for example glue the legs to the torso and then to the base and paint that, then glue on the other bits on top that way you wont be trying to get your brush into difficult areas and get paint on to the head and shoulders and such.

to be clear, there is no real right or wrong way to paint a model, its really what you want at the the end of the day, there are different techniques you can learn,from very simple stuff like dry brushing to wet blending, you tube is a great tool for learning, only wish i had youtube twenty years ago when i was learning, all i had was lies printed in white dwarf.
Thanks for your kind words! I've been following a few tutorials from white dwarf too, especially for the dark angels armour. Thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail! Cheers.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Its looking good dude :)

The tip from Bits about partially constructing your miniatures during painting is good advice. When I'm putting something together I glue the legs and torso together, base and work on it from there. When you come to put the arms/heads/weapons on, you aren't trying to manipulate your brush into obscured areas and all parts like sides, joins between limbs etc are going to be fully painted. It works especially well with Marines.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Honestly man, layering is a technique that is more on the advanced side of painted especially to get it to look good. With this type of bone/white robe you are going for is even a bit harder to pull off. However let's say you wanted to go with Brown, blue, red or green then you could pull off some very impressive results easily. Just follow this 4 step process (for explination purposes we will use red)
1. Paint entire robe in a smooth coat of medium red.
2. Paint in the folds and crevices of the robe in a dark red
3. Paint the high points and edges of the robe with a light red.
4. Apply a medium/heavy wash of red, let dry then apply another light/medium wash if red

To go with a different color, just swap out red with whatever color you want.

It's easy and will look great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts