Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hail to fellow furryhaired comrades, though I havent seen any skaven threads (erp)

Im a 40k vet but Ive heard the call of the horned rat and its my first time at a FB army.

I didnt want to play an orthodox skaven army whereby one must construct a system of clanrats, slaves and flank protectors and then charge across the board. My painting hand also died thinking about all those identical rats.

So, having a weak spot for Skyre, Ive decided to go for a firepower based skaven army. Is this possible? Or is it just for friendlies?

Ive assembled the following list-as ive not heard any comments i wont do wargear and magic and points yet, because as a newbie used to simple 40k wargear ill choose the wrong ones and ill have to change them anyway, but ill make all the general choices. (Points is indeterminate, but tell me if im vastly overspending for 2k)

Grey Seer

2xWarlock Engineers

3x Clanrats (20) Ban, Musician, Champ, Hweapons and Shield, and Ratling

2x Slave unit 25 (B, Spears) Am i allowed to add a weapons team here?

4 Rat Swarms

2 x 6 Jezzails

Doomwheel (Yes i like giant hamster wheels- i dont see why people voted it out in the first place)

2 x Warp Lightning cannon

(Seems a bit light on hth - would it be a good idea to pop censer bearers in there?)

I understand it may be a bit cheesy with the two wl cannon to some but from my point of view with a Skryer army it seems perfectly fluffed up to me.

Comments are welcomed, and please tell me If Ive included anything illegal.

cheers

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I like the character setup, and used the same, with the addition of a Chieftain BSB to help hold the blocks. Only Clanrats and Stormvermin can have weapon teams, so that's a 'no' for the Slaves, who should be used without upgrades and should be no more than the minimum 20 models per unit. Clanrat units work best upward of 25 models each with Standard and Musician, but no Clawleader. The Rat Swarms are not nearly as useful as they once were, and are expensive to boot. I'd rather go with Giant Rats. The Jezzails are cool, as are the WLCs. The WLCs are not as good as the book would have you believe, as they tend to leave the board very quickly against any army with at least one fast flying unit. That always retreat rule hurts, a lot.

Of the entire list you posted, only the Doomwheel is no longer legal. There are 'opponent's permission only' rules available, but the unit would not be permitted in local or national tourneys.

As for shooty Skaven and Skryre, well, I've always liked the concept of Hordes/Magic/Shooty death, and Skaven can pull it off very well. Skryre themed armies may be the only theme besides the 300+ model horde to become a fan favorite build.

Good luck on the army!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
i think a shooty skaven army is more than viable, although your main issue imo is always going to be leadership. with 5 big units you have enough bodies to absorb a fiar amount of damge before you start to scarper.

You need to maximise on magic, so adding in a third engineer is probably a good idea

Not sure if the doomwheel is even around anymore.

Who cares if people think its cheesey, your skaven you should love cheese :)

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Since you can't use the doomwheel except in certain games I would say use those points and the points you save from giving your slaves nothing but a standard add some globadiers to your army. their range isn't that great, but they are really good against heavily armoured units and aren't too expensive

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
yeah might be a good idea to have a contingency list, incase opp doesn't feel comfortable with you using rules that aren't official.

after having more of a think, maybe a bsb would be a good idea for skaven to keep your units around once combat starts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
if you want a shooty skaven army try equiping the slaves with slings the two shots can be a winner if you stand and shoot and to be honest they wont do much else than absorb a few casualties before running away

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A BsB?

Taken yoru comments to mind but i would love to paint the dwheel anyway and our house rules are real flexible as long as it doesnt prove to be imba.

So- bare slaves? The thing is then it would perfectly obvious that they would be dummy units. At least if i give them spears or hand weapons they could do some damage if frenzied or if i charged them into the flanks of a unit.

I love the globadier models and surely fluffy but ive heard that they never ever get to shoot because they either get shot first or their six inch range means that combat is joined before they do enough damage to win back their points. Is this true?

Thanks for all the comments guys, really helped.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
yeah but instead of giving them another weapon give them another model for the same number of points.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts