Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, very new to the game, trying to get a feel for my army before spending a lot of money on something I may not enjoy. I like the concepts of the Eldar, they match my playing styles and my strategies; plus what's not to like about Space Elves? XD At any rate, tell me if I need improvements, please!

Autarch w/Mandiblasters, Scorpion Chainsword, and Fusion Gun (95 pts.)

Harlequin Troupe w/8 Harlequin, 1 Troupe Master, and 1 Death Jester; Harlequins w/2x Fusion Pistol (230 pts.)

Fire Dragons w/9 Fire Dragons and 1 Exarch w/Crack Shot and Tank Hunters (192 pts.)

Dire Avengers w/9Dire Avengers and 1 Exarch w/Diresword & Shuriken Pistol, Bladestorm, and Defend (172 pts.)

Rangersx10 (190 pts.)

Guardians w/Warlock w/Conceal and Weapon's Platform (Starcannon)(225 pts.)

Swooping Hawks w/9 Swooping Hawks and Exarch w/Sunrifle and Skyleap (252 pts.)

Fire Prism w/Shuriken Cannon & Vectored Engines (145 pts.)

Total = 1,493 pts. (Possibly 1,501 pts. My math may be off.)

Input?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi Daemus, welcome to Heresy!

Eldar are a really good army, but they're very fragile. They also have a number of units that are basically deathtraps unless fielded in a very particular way (or sometimes, if they're fielded at all). Which gets depressing, if you field your lovely new army of elite soldiers and they all get gunned down by a space marine sergeant with a bad accent and a worse haircut.

Here are my suggestions, and I'll probably say something more general at the end.

Hey all, very new to the game, trying to get a feel for my army before spending a lot of money on something I may not enjoy. I like the concepts of the Eldar, they match my playing styles and my strategies; plus what's not to like about Space Elves? XD At any rate, tell me if I need improvements, please!

Autarch w/Mandiblasters, Scorpion Chainsword, and Fusion Gun (95 pts.)
I don't recommend the scorpion chainsword; I'm not sure I recommend the autarch at all. That S3 (even 4), T3 hurts. I'd recommend a power sword; no, scratch that. This is a 1500 point list. I'd have a moderately kitted out Farseer, Eldrad Ulthran or Prince Yriel. Don't be put off by their craftworld allegiances, either of those guys have a much stronger allegiance to the bitter, salty tears of your opponent.
Harlequin Troupe w/8 Harlequin, 1 Troupe Master, and 1 Death Jester; Harlequins w/2x Fusion Pistol (230 pts.)
These guys need a Shadowseer if you're going to field them. Honestly, I'd leave them for a while. Field a squad using proxy models to see if they met your expectations. These guys hurt on the assault, but they also GET hurt very, very easily.
Fire Dragons w/9 Fire Dragons and 1 Exarch w/Crack Shot and Tank Hunters (192 pts.)
Okay, there's going to be a theme to the rest of my posting. This theme is, "transport." All of your models are expensive and also T3 with a 4+ save. Put them in a Wave Serpent. Fire Dragons are amazing, but I'd probably drop the squad to 6 and drop the Exarch. You'll find that's enough to melta whatever tank you put them against (monoliths excluded; in the case of monoliths, shoot necrons instead).
Dire Avengers w/9Dire Avengers and 1 Exarch w/Diresword & Shuriken Pistol, Bladestorm, and Defend (172 pts.)
Solid choice, maybe with twin catapults instead of the diresword. Again, transport.
Rangersx10 (190 pts.)

Guardians w/Warlock w/Conceal and Weapon's Platform (Starcannon)(225 pts.)
There are several traps here. One, large Guardian squad. Two, warlock with Conceal. If you use these guys at all, use ten, no warlock. They're mewling weaklings and if you treat them as such, they're okay.
What I mean is this: if you use these guys, they should be back in your lines, permanently in cover. That's why you don't need the warlock. The advantage of these guys, and it's a little strange, is that they take longer to kill than their points should. Close combat or cover-denying weapons aside, you can spread these guys out and have them hang on for most or all of a game.
If you want anything more than that, use Pathfinders or Dire Avengers

Swooping Hawks w/9 Swooping Hawks and Exarch w/Sunrifle and Skyleap (252 pts.)
Trap! These guys look amazing; unfortunately, they trip over their own feet any time they try anything. If you shoot, well, you need to shoot at infantry, else it's pointless. If you shoot at infantry, you can't assault tanks. And if you do either of those things, you can't skyleap, because you do that in the movement phase.
Think of Swooping Hawks as posy whiners that lie around all die saying,
"But I have so much potential!" and you'll do alright.
Fire Prism w/Shuriken Cannon & Vectored Engines (145 pts.)
Cool. Sorry to have something negative to say about EVERYTHING, but I wouldn't bother with vectored engines.
Total = 1,493 pts. (Possibly 1,501 pts. My math may be off.)

Input?
Hmm. Okay, it's been long enough since I made a list of my own instead of pissing on other people's that I'm going to go make one. I'm not trying to tell you how to play, just suggesting a difference in attitude towards your units. You can't afford to run around on the ground; you're never where you need to be, and enemy fire gets costly quickly.
On the other hand, in tanks your men can travel in speed an style; the wave serpent special rules ensure the maximum frustration for enemy commanders, and the blood of your enemies is available on tap in a specially refreshing chilled beverage.

The list I just made is here:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?p=718034#post718034

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the input. I have never played the game (except in small squad based skirmishes) so the input is VERY appreciated. I like my set up for now, though I agree with the swooping Hawks. As for the Wave Serpent, I was considering instead substituting the Fire Prism with a Falcon; both tank AND transport) and attaching the Fire Dragons to it. As for the Harlequins, I just thought they looked cool and points wise compared to other units used as Elites, they are more efficient without spending a TON of points. I may be incorrect however, so I'll just take the advice for now and TRY it with a friend's army. If it works out well, then awesome. If not, then I'll rework my army again. Thanks!! XD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts