Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after playing a couple games with my son, trying to teach ourselves everything, I have some questions....

1st. during CC, should both players being attacking during their turn

ie: Game Turn 1
player 1 - move, shoot, assault: player 1 and 2 models
player 2 - move, shoot, assault: player 1 and 2 models

so on and so forth....

I think we have decent grasp on the movement and shooting phases and we are intentionally keeping it simple by adding 1 new thing per battle. Assaulting has me a little confused tho as it feels a little weird to essentially fight H2H twice per game turn. :scratchhead:

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
So, after playing a couple games with my son, trying to teach ourselves everything, I have some questions....

1st. during CC, should both players being attacking during their turn

ie: Game Turn 1
player 1 - move, shoot, assault: player 1 and 2 models
player 2 - move, shoot, assault: player 1 and 2 models

so on and so forth....

I think we have decent grasp on the movement and shooting phases and we are intentionally keeping it simple by adding 1 new thing per battle. Assaulting has me a little confused tho as it feels a little weird to essentially fight H2H twice per game turn. :scratchhead:
It is a little odd, but yeah, during a player turn, each player gets to participate in an assault attack. So, in each game turn, if you are locked in an assault, you get to fight twice. However, only the person whose turn it is can initiate an assault.

·
Registered
795 Posts
yeah the owning player on their turn may assault with any unit that is within distance and didn't run in the previous turn (unless they have the Fleet USR), but during the assault it's all about Initiative levels. So if your unit with I3 assaults a unit with I4 the unit with I4 gets to assault first, eventhough it's your turn.

·
Registered
62 Posts
they are right on. Let me just add that of the three phases the assualt phase is by far the most complicated. When my friends and I were learning it took us several games befor we had it down. stick with it, and it will be second nature in no time. One more bit of advice (though it sounds like this is what you're already doing) keep the games small and managable at first...and the rule book close by.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I was really feeling like it wasn't right and wanted to be 100% sure before we continue playing as having something we've been doing completely wrong would be a real PITA to correct later.

We are currently using my kitchen table, 4"x4" with no terrain and only our AoBR starter Armies. I figure a couple more games like that and then we might be ready for some Blds (ie: books lol):grin:

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
Everybody started somewhere ... and you already have a good start by coming to heresy. This community has been the best I have found so far for helping new players ( like myself ) to learn the game properly. Do not be afraid to ask questions as almost every response you will get will be helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts