Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im new to Warhammer 40k and im starting with Imperial Gaurd, and was woundering what i should start out buying?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well Start off with a codex then buy those big boxes of imp gaurd and eventually you will have a great army. Don't miss a chance to get some basalisks

·
Registered
414 Posts
get codex (obviously), command squad, some platoons, and a leman russ tanks. that will give your army a backbone. then just build off from there for whatever fits your taste.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
guard armies are basicly lots of low-point models, backed up by some heavy weapons teams and tanks.

i would get some units of Guardsmen, a Leman russ, 1 or 2 heavy weapons teams and either a basalisk or some sentinals. this will give you a strong backbone for your army, as well as a bit of variation.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I would personally suggest
1 codex
1 command squad
1 or 2 battleforces
1 basilisk
1-5 troop boxes
Then your choice of elite and fast attack.

this will give you a solid force to start with and give you enough guys to get a fairly big view of the guard

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I would say the basics first.

Codex
HQ
2 troop choices mandatory

THen it is up to you as to how you want your army to look. So read the codex and see what appeals to you and your playing style. I have seen tank heavy IG armies and I have seen pure foot troop armies with heavy weapons squads. It was the only time my 177 model foot slooging ork army had fewer models than my opponent. So it really is up to you and how you want your army.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts