Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have recently decided to start playing after 14 years away..

As you have probably guessed I'm going for chaos but it in all honesty in rather clueless..
I have purchased the dark vengeance box set to get me started (1 hellbrute, chosen squad, 20 cultists, and a lord I believe) I am also thinking of getting Kharn the betrayer. I would like to create a pretty competitive army, but as I have not much knowledge right now any help would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Chaos is very tempting, as many models are very cool, and the fluff is very appealing.
I always like to play the bad guy.

However, these days you're actually very limited in creating a competitive Chaos army. They're definitely not very competitive by themselves, and stand close to no chance against better armies like Eldar.

First of all, the Dark Vengeance set is great, but do not even think of using those chosen as they're kitted out from the box! I've converted most of my Chosen to have bolt pistols and ccw, and use them as Aspiring Champions, as the models are great!

You should look into the Traitor's Hate supplement. The formations are mostly crap, but the Chaos Warband is very entertaining, and I enjoy running it a lot.

It's not competitive in itself, and if you want to stand a chance in a competitive environment, then you should consider units/formations like Be'lakor, Cyclopia Cabal (from Black Legion supplement) or possibly Daemon Allies.

Are there any units that you really like, or some sort of direction you want to head in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh so the chosen from the box are not any good?

I have kharn the betrayer now so I was thinking of getting some bezerkers and putting them and kharn in a rhino. I've also been thinking of getting a forgefiend for some long range. Some terminators and a daemon prince..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not looked into which supplement to get as yet but I also hear a new chaos codex should be in the way soon?
My current load out is
25 cultists
1 hell brute
6 chosen + champion (not very good?)
Chaos Lord
Kharn the betrayer

I could maybe try to convert some of the dark Angels?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Unfortunately "Competive" and "Chaos Space Marines" tend to not mix well, so if your looking to find a world beater list out of the box it's going to be extremely hard as it does not exist.

You'll want to get the Traitor's Hate book, as it gives you formations that you'd be otherwise lacking.

And IIRC it gives you rules for CSM Knight Titans.

You'll probably want to get the Demons Codex as well to add in demon allies, and for them I would recommend to find the rules portion to Curse of the Wulfen as there are quite a bit of Demon related stuffs there.

----

As for the models from DV, they aren't exactly modeled for winning - more so for Fun. The chosen are perhaps best just to use as Aspiring Champions for CSM squads rather than a squad themselves.

As for converting the DA of the box, it's possible but for myself (not a great converter in any stretch) I wouldn't mess with them, as there is far too many minor DA stuffs all over them that just make it more of a hassle than help.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Welcome!

Chaos are awesome, but as previously mentioned; shit competitively.

The chosen in the DV box are rubbish, use them as aspiring champs or if you've got a decent modelling knife and some skillz, crack on converting. One tip i picked up, is don't just glue stuff together if you do plan converting, dry fit and cut then glue as the way the join lines sit make it very difficult not to cock up the model after.

Good luck with the army!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts