Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
forget the stormboys for now. i surgest some trucks and/or a barrlewagon and some looterz, and if you can more boyz (either shooter or sluga boyz)
check ebay for any nice bargins you may sport, as theres always loads on there

·
Registered
147 Posts
Leave the storm boyz atm, I would suggest a battle force a wagon and nobz, this will give you 3 bikes 20x boyz 1x trukk as well as the nobz and battle wagon. More boyz always a good thing for orks, the truck and wagon will give mobility, the bikes could be coverted to nob bikers or left as are, with these will give a nice rounded force to start with. In time you can decide what shiney bits takes your fancy a buy later .
But boyz will always come in use regardless of what build you make and the larger the better.
GL with your new army :biggrin:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Stormboyz can hold off, Zaggy kinda sucks anyway :p

First off, figure out what kind of army you want to do. At present, Orks have a few decent builds. You can go mech with Battlewagons, Trukks and Lootas/Buggies/Kanz/Kannons in support. Very fast, very assault, lots of fun (if risky). Foot is generally a poor choice, but with Kill Kanz, Lootas, and Shoota boyz you can make quite the effective dakka army. Biker armies are a mix between the two: fast and shooty. Wazdakka is a must.

Based on what you have, either Kanwall/shooty or BW mech would be fine. For the former, pick up Kanz, convert your boyz into shootas or lootas and pick up more shootas/lootas. For the latter, Battlewagons and Trukks are order of the day. A KFF Mek and Lootas are also essential.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Boyz Boyz Boyz. And if you arent going with mobs of 30 on foot, then mount them up, either in turkks or BW's.
A nob per mob of boyz with PK, Bosspole.
Run them a few times see what you think you are missing.
as Chumbalaya suggests a mek w/ KFF and lootas. ( i personally run with a mek w/ SAG, but i play for fun more than winning and like the orkiness of it)

A mob or 2 of loota gives you some ranged support, that can seriously help.

Again i run all in transports and dont have any walkers, but from i read here, and other places, pick kans over dread.

I guess that best thing to do is play and play, try using proxies, if able, to test new units.

And use them more than a couple of times. Good games/rolls and bad games/rolls may not be a good indicator of their waagh value.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Well, if you go Bikers it would be best to bring all Bikes with Buggies/Koptaz, Kanz/Kannonz and Grots in support. Taking a Trukk or two would really dilute your effectiveness.

Wazdakka is a big 'un, then a couple smallish (6-9 strong) units of Bikes with PK Nobs. Zoom around and blast stuff then follow up in melee. Nob Bikes, while pricey, do give you a real hammer unit to throw around. Take a Warboss and they become Troops. Buggies, Koptaz, Kanz and Kannonz help you bust up armor at range and Grotz end up cheap objective holders.

·
Registered
670 Posts
1 Warboss
5 Nobz
20 Boyz
3 deffcoptas

I have around $300 (Aus) (not including AoBR) :popcorn:
and I'm finking about getting the following:

3 Killa kans - $74 (or Deffdread? - $83)
Nobz (5) - $41
Ork stormboyz (10) - $82
Zagstuck - $36

Or I could drop the stormoyz and zagtrukk and convert some Nobs on bikes with a painboy :biggrin:
I got around $65 left.. what els should I get?
(weirdboy, shokk attack gun or 3 nobz in mega armour maybe?)
The stuff from AOBR is ok. Just make sure to get the most from the warboss by making those nobz troops, and get more from the nobz by giving them different wargear so you can play wound allocation :security:

Kanz depends what kind of list you want. Reading what you do want to get you're going a foot list with kanz. So I'd get more boyz for a start say 4 x 30 with rokkits per unit and then max out the kanz for heavy support. Then get a big mek with a KFF which gives the kanz a 4+ cover save and the kanz give the boyz a 4+ cover too. However, this list needs two big meks so your army isn't all bunched up and a list like this doesn't need a warboss and nobz.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't take Mega Armored units without a Battlewagon or a trukk. Footslogging Mega Armored units are suicide.

You can either mount your nobz on bikes with a painboy, or put them in a battlewagon/trukk. The painboy is a good upgrade, and it will increase the survivability of your nobz by a lot.

A deffrolla battlewagon is also one of the Ork's key weapon to kill landraiders, Monoliths and other high armored vehicles.

If you plan to get Killa Kans, don't just get a squad of 3 of them...get MORE! Ok...another squad of 3 will do. :p

Get a Big Mek w/ Kustom Force Field too, they increase the survivability of your vehicles and boyz with just a small cost.

A deffdread is a big shooting magnet, and most of the time it'll die quick. So don't think to get them first unless you like the model. They mostly excel in bigger scale games (1700pts above) and you can get them later when you have the cash.

And lastly, get Shoota Boyz. They are more versatile than Slugga boyz in your AoBR set. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey people!
So I got some models of a friend for a low low price :)
And now I've reconsidered my army list.. I was thinking about getting 2 battleforces..
If I did I would have the following (plus the fkn price rise means I'll be saving $50 per battleforce :p )

formation:
- 1 Warboss with power klaw on bike with entourage of 8 bikes
- 5 Nobs (2 power klaws, 2 Big choppas 1 normal) in truck with painboy
- 30 boyz with sluggas n choppas, 2 rokkit and 2 big shootas and 1 power klaw
- 11 boyz with sluggas n choppas, with 1 big shoota weirdboy in trukk
- 10 grotz with runtherd (for objectives)
- 3 Killa kanz with grotzookas
- 1 deffdread with 2 big shootas

What do you think now??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts