Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not really asking for a set list to play but more of asking which units are the best/ combination of units are the best and why and what wargear to take with them. Example: Destroyer Lord with a WS and MSS, SW with 2 Wraiths with coils is brought up a lot.

One thing in particular I want to know is what to do with an overlord. Also, what's better for Immortals, tesla or gauss?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Scarabs tear vehicles into ribbons. Taking lots of them is good against armored opponents.

I'd also partial to Anrayker the traveller for his special ability.

Night scythes are also worth investing in.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
My Overlords typically are loaded with a Warscythe, Semp Weave and Res Orb. In larger games I'll add in the Phase Shifter. The Mindshackle Scarabs are a nice edition if you have spare points. But you don't want to put too many points into one model.

As for Immortals, Tesla is usually going to work better for you. Gauss is slightly better if you get into Rapid Fire range but Tesla is also better at Overwatch. Gauss in general should be covered by Warriors in your army.

There are many other combos to consider, such as Deathmarks with a Destroyer Lord. Zahndrekh is a great addition to almost any list. And of course Scarabs plus Spyders. Take a careful look at the Crypteks, especially the ones with anti-assault abilities.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Wraiths with whip coils are really versatile,
make sure u have a res orb in every unit with 7 or more models
Unless they are in a unit which gets into combat, Lords are best with res orbs and staves of light.
D-lords are best in big units (such as 20 warriors) or combat units but don't take unless you already have an overlord as courts are good
Scarabs are cheap and really good at taking out vehicles
Deathmarks are really good with a veil of darkness despair-tek
Anhialation barges are really good
Flayed ones are really bad.

For starting units focus on all the stuff in the battleforce, + a barge, and maybe a tomb spyder ( as they are good cheap MCs that create more scarabs).

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Overlords
Crypteks (all but the Harbinger of Eternity)
Warriors if you're running mech
Immortals with Tesla Carbines if you're running foot
Annihilation Barges
Ghost Arks
Night Scythes (if you know what you're doing)
Scarabs
Tomb Blades (depends on list)

Special Characters, pretty much
Destroyer Lords
Lords
Destroyers
Doom Scythe
Wraiths (perfectly good, but encourage you to do combat
Lychguard (likewise)
Doomsday Ark
Tomb Spyders

Flayed Ones
C'Tan Shards
Monolith

For your Overlord, go with Warscythe and Resurrection Orb. If you're playing big points or he's going to be in combat, take Sempiternal Weave (the Phase Shifter really isn't worth it for nearly 50pts) and Mindshackle Scarabs.

Immortals should pack Tesla Carbines, the whole army can do Gauss more efficiently than they can.

Midnight

·
The Curmudgeon
646 Posts
From the games I've played with my Necrons, some of the best units I've had out there are my Tesla Immortals, Annihilation Barges, and my Monoliths. They are all excellent units and you can't go wrong with a pyramid of rape or two deep striking like a boss.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I need to buy more immortals, haha. Mine are all already assembled with gauss. Don't want to try to remove them and damage them. I might use them eventually.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Immortals with gaus aren't that bad, and I actually prefer them against non Meq armies as AP4 will do something somewhere, plus u have that bit more anti-tank. I wouldn't actually spam immortals, I personally prefer warriors because ghost arks make them tough as hell especially when you have big blobs, immortals are more expensive and can only be taken in squads of 10 (also you get 12 warriors and 3 scarabs for £20 and only 5 immortals for the same price)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
If you take Gauss then throw them in a night scythe with 2 voltaic staff techs. Instant anti-hord unit that can also one shot any vehicle in the game, even flyers if you get lucky. The strength this unit has over ground pounding tesla is that its fast enough to potentially get behind cover (Defense line) and remove any 4+> armored enemies (Like those bastard tau).

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I had the privelidge of getting 20 Scarab Bases, 30 Immortals, 2 Lords, 2 Scythes and the Necron Codex for the low-low price of £115 (With P&P). I got my last three scythes for £60 total (Two new and my friend's brother sold me one for a fiver) and got a lord on top of that. If anybody has eight scarab bases to sell, I'm very interested. I find that scarabs do enough anti-tank for me to make-up for having no Gauss in my army. They're also good for tying units up in combat, and with the doom scythes I can attempt to arc into them as well (Though it's not greatly effective and DOES kill scarabs at the same time).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts