Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was getting in a game w/ my friends 'crons the other day & was slaughtering them pretty bad - until his 'lith's showed up. I normally don't worry about them too much (Monoliths) but this time they really gave me a beating.

He explained to me that 'liths got new rules on the FAQ section on the GW site. He didn't have them printed & my internet wasn't working, so I couldn't verify, but didn't think to much of it, we're good friends & I didn't think he'd have any reason to cheat me.

I had a unit of TS's defending an objective, their Rhino having long since been destroyed, they were standing in open field - apparently ripe for what happened next. My friend indicated to me that now, when the 'lith fires it's particle whip, if the target unit hasn't moved in the previous turn, it's an automatic hit (& of course since they were defending an objective, they hadn't moved last turn). If the target unit has moved in the previous turn, the blast template only scatters 1D6 minus BS. Essentially meaning that the blast will always only scatter 2". He also said that the model under the hole in the template HAS to take the AP1 wound; it can't be allocated to any member of the unit as per the wound allocation rules. :shok: Now, this part really didn't bother me so much due to the 4++ saves all TS's have, but unfortunately the model under the hole was my Aspiring Sorcerer & of course - he failed his save. :angry:

I still won the game, but only due to his 'lith's not coming in until turn 4, and I was able to really cripple him before then, luckily. However, I've poured over the FAQ, Errata & any other information I was able to find about the 'crons & have seen NOTHING indicating the rules he told me were now in force. I have repeatedly asked him about this (we only play 1x a week or so) and he just keeps saying he will show me exactly where it is the next time we game, he say's it's in an 'obscure' portion of GW's website.

So.. did my friend actually cheat me on this? I hope this is not the case, as I would hate to think a good friend had to cheat in an attempt to beat me, but I can see no rules anywhere on this & he just keeps dodging me & not answering my query on where these rules are.

~Lord Xythius

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
He was cheating, kick him in the happy sacks so he will have something to remember it by. Amazing that some people try to get away with crap like that, how can they not expect to get found out eventually?

All you need to do is make sure you have the current version of the codex (it will say 'second printing' on the first page), and read the PDF FAQ.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If the target unit has moved in the previous turn, the blast template only scatters 1D6 minus BS. Essentially meaning that the blast will always only scatter 2". He also said that the model under the hole in the template HAS to take the AP1 wound; it can't be allocated to any member of the unit as per the wound allocation rules.
That's crap. It will scatter 2D6" - BS as normal.

The model under the hole can be hit with AP 1 but if he's with a squad the wound can be allocated to someone else in the unit. Again he got that wrong. Or invented it. Take your pick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice... guess I won't be playing him anytime soon. Kinda puts a strain on the friendship too. I can't stand being lied to - especially over a GAME!

~Lord Xythius

·
Registered
592 Posts
The model under the hole can be hit with AP 1 but if he's with a squad the wound can be allocated to someone else in the unit. Again he got that wrong. Or invented it. Take your pick.
He was right in this, though.

It states the model under the hole gets the AP1 hit, so it could be used to snipe the Sorcerer, for example.

Other than that, he is a cheating bastard - it rolls for scatter as normal.

Edit: I stand corrected!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
He was right in this, though.

It states the model under the hole gets the AP1 hit, so it could be used to snipe the Sorcerer, for example.

Other than that, he is a cheating bastard - it rolls for scatter as normal.
No, it can't be used as to snipe out characters. It's a wound, like any other from shooting, and can get allocated to anyone. From the Necron FAQ:

Q. Can the AP1 hit from the particle whip be
assigned to any member of a squad or does it
have to be assigned to the model under the
centre of the template?

A. Any model directly under the centre of the
large blast template of the particle whip takes an
AP1 hit. The rules for blast weapons state that the
defending player may remove casualties from the
unit as a whole, not necessarily those under the
template, and this rule still applies here, so the
player can assign the AP1 hit to any model in the
unit.
As for the OP, I would suggest printing out a copy of the FAQ (you can find it on GW's website under "Gaming - FAQ's and Errata") for your friend, and don't take it too personally, or too seriously - it's not worth straining a friendship over, and he might just be getting things confused somehow. If he continues to bend the rules though, just play other people instead, and he'll quickly get the point.

Hope that helps somewhat :)

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
If they don't have the rules, it doesn't happen. Pretty simple really. make them show you the rules so that both of you may read and understand them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts