Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To cut to the quick:

1. Can Vanhel's Danse be cast more than once? Including Bound Spells?

2. Can any Lore of V spell be cast more than once, either by single of different models?

I'm finding it really hard to grasp the concept of the new magic rules.

It's like 8th is the reverse of 7th to me; easy movement and quicker more savage combat, but complicated (for me) magic.

Thanks.

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Well the question regarding Van hels is acutually tricky. Becuase it can be cast more than once, BUT the only way to get it more than once, would be to have a vampire or two with forbidden lore, than one vampire rolling it on the table. Or obviously a necro with it. If you have the spell multiple times, then yes ti can be cast multiple times.

But the only spell that a single wizard may cast more than once per turn is Invocation of Nehek. As listed in the armybook.

·
Registered
442 Posts
the answer is much the same as what kittyclaw has said but he is wrong about the multiple times, a vamp necromancer can cast necromancy spells more than once a turn the necromancy spells are listed under the vampire magic in the vc army book

·
Registered
152 Posts
1) Van Hal's can be cast repeatedly by the same caster as it is a necromany spell. This includes bound spells (meaning you can cast the Book of Arkhan multiple times provided you don't roll less than 3 on a casting attempt or roll a 1 after using it)

2) Only the necromancy spells can be cast multiple times by the same caster; however if multiple casters have the same spell then you can cast that spell multiple times per phase. This could be for example if one vampire had forbidden lore (vampires) and another rolled for a spell and got summon undead horde, then summon undead horde could be cast twice, once by each caster.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Only the necromancy spells can be cast multiple times by the same caster; however if multiple casters have the same spell then you can cast that spell multiple times per phase. This could be for example if one vampire had forbidden lore (vampires) and another rolled for a spell and got summon undead horde, then summon undead horde could be cast twice, once by each caster.
Just want to add that this is the ONLY way to get more than one caster to have duplicate non-necromancy spells. For instance, if you rolled a 2 and 6 for one Vampire (Vanhel's Dance Macabre & Summon Undead Horde) , and then rolled 2 and 6 for the next Vampire, both the second Vampires spells would have to be replaced, as per the spell generation rules on pg. 490 of the BRB.

·
Registered
443 Posts
No, you would Replace the 6 second 6 rolled, by CHOOSING another spell in the lore. As has already been stated.
First, I never said that you didn't get to choose the replacement spell, I only said you had to replace it.

Second, you would replace both spells in the example I gave, and I made sure to use a Necromancy spell and a non-Necromancy spell so there wouldn't be any confusion.

Pg. 490 in the BRB: "Ordinarily, each spell can only be known once in the same army. The only exceptions are where a spell is not generated randomly...if you roll a spell twice (whether for the same wizard or for a different Wizard in the same army) you must normally replace the duplicate spell with another of your choice from thee same lore. If you cannot, because all the other spells have already been taken by other wizards, for example, then this extra spell slot is lost.

Since the Vampires in my example were generating their spells randomly, BOTH of the duplicates rolled would have to be replaced by choosing a new, yet unclaimed spell. The exception of course is Raise Dead, which can always be chosen by any caster as per the Vampire Lore rules. Raise Dead is effectively a 'signature spell' for the lore.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Surely as VDM is a necromancy spell, any necromancer can take it, with multiple necros taking it, therefore multiple castings?

Necromancers do not randomly generate their spells you pick them before the game and pay the points to do so. Vamps would still be subject to the random forced rerolls though

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Any spells that are picked, or given automatically don't count towards the 'multiple spells' rule: its only if you roll a spell that it cannot then be taken by another wizard rolling for spells (except for the sig/no.1 spell).

·
Registered
227 Posts
So, if I've understood this correctly you could have the following:-
1. Vampire Lord with Forbidden Lore +
2. Vampire Hero with Forbidden Lore +
3 Vampire who has rolled up VDM +
4. Necromancer whose paid for it.

As it's a Necromancy spell they can all cast it multiple times so the only limit would the power dice available.

That right?

The power dice limit of 12 in the pool should be a real factor, but I'm still a little unsure how some of the ways of generating extra power dice come into play here.

So let's suppose my Vamps roll '11' for the Winds of Magic. One of my Vamps has Master of the Black Arts which allows an additional 2 power dice. I think that the way it works is that these are added to the pool at the start of the magic phase. As they would take the pool above 12, one is effectively lost. Correct?

Another of my Vamps has Crimson Gem (sacrifice a wound to get a power dice). This has no effect to start with so I can wait until I've used a couple of power dice and then top up the pool using this item. Correct?

As an aside I assume that the DE spell that allows them to generate extra power dice works in the same way - wait until the pool is running down then top it up.

Regards
TT

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
So let's suppose my Vamps roll '11' for the Winds of Magic. One of my Vamps has Master of the Black Arts which allows an additional 2 power dice. I think that the way it works is that these are added to the pool at the start of the magic phase. As they would take the pool above 12, one is effectively lost. Correct?

Another of my Vamps has Crimson Gem (sacrifice a wound to get a power dice). This has no effect to start with so I can wait until I've used a couple of power dice and then top up the pool using this item. Correct?

As an aside I assume that the DE spell that allows them to generate extra power dice works in the same way - wait until the pool is running down then top it up.

Regards
TT
I would say yes. It is possible to top up your dispel pool throughout the phase via 'activated abilities'- it only says that your power pool cannot go above 12- since using dice removes them from the pool, your crimson gem wouldn't be bringing the pool above twelve, and so this will effectively top it up. Note that the Lore of Death's attribute acts in a similar way.

·
Registered
679 Posts
1) Van Hal's can be cast repeatedly by the same caster as it is a necromany spell. This includes bound spells (meaning you can cast the Book of Arkhan multiple times provided you don't roll less than 3 on a casting attempt or roll a 1 after using it)
You may only activate the book once per turn. While the spell it contains is a necromacy spell you are effectively activating the item not casting the spell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts