Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently thought about starting a new army and since i did necrons for quite some time, i would like to have something really conversin heavy. and what's better for weird conversions then latd. to begin with i thought about the regular 3 aspiring champions with powerfists on daemonic steeds leading 3 squads of maybe 20 tzeentchian mutants (move as cavalry) with powerfist sarge, 3 traitor units with heavy stubber and autocannon and an arch heretic as leader of the force, i thought about a sorceror with 2 thralls and bodyguard of 4 chosen with some cool psychic power riding in a rhino.

so far so good, what should i take for fire support? that army so far is very fast and cc oriented so i'll need some serious firepower to back it up. should i use leman russes? maybe a basilisk or a chaos predator? maybe a defiler? maybe i should add some flamers as elite choices, that'd be fire support, too but i think i already got enough anti infantry in the mutants.

so please tell me what you would add to the mutant/traitor base and what else you suggest for the army to get more style and be more playable cause i don't have experience in playing non 3+ save armys

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
Three squads of 20! Man that would be something to see. With a Mutant boss with Powerfist (gotta be done) thats 265 pts a squad totaling 795 in all.

If you have never played without Power armour saves it will take some getting used to, the 5+ save means boltguns cause real damage and be Very afraid of Whirlwinds and massed heavy bolters.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah henc the neede firepower. what do you suggest? with two units of traitors and a cheaper arch heretic, that would be 300 points left in a regular 1500 points battle to add some artillery. maybe a basilisc and a leman russ or a sentinel squadron with autocannons? or even 2 basis?

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
Defiler with mutated Hull is always nice.
Basilisks are good but the minimun range on the indirect fire is a pain.

But to be honest throwing the old pie plate template around when you have that many figures trying to close with the enemy that fast can be risky.

I love Hellhounds, they are just so nasty, give em a hunter killer if you want, its the fact you can place the template and you get two chances to hit with that Strengh 6 template :twisted:

For tank hunting or accurate fire Havocs mate with veteran skills.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well havocs are not allowed since you can't take a unit of the heavy support section for codex: chaos space marines as i realised when rereading the army list in the eye of terror codex. so yeah a hellhound would be really cool. but what else to add there for those remaining 200 points or in greater games. maybe a leman russ, cause when the pie plates are to dangerous, it could shoot with 3 heavy bolters but this is again anti infantry and i'd like to add some anti tank, that's not cc dependant. a posibility would be to add said chosen with those tzenntch str8 ap2 psychic power but that would come down to very many points for few models which die as fast as normal csm. the arch heretic could fulfill that purpose by beeing armed with that psi power and riding on a tzeentch daemonic steed which gives him 12" movement. but again it would be really points heavy and maybe he'll get shot at. i could use chosen as an havoc replacement but i don't want the army to include that much csm... hell that is really a problem to decide...

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
Oh poo I forgot about the Havocs not being allowed. (I now have codex EOT in front of me :oops: )

The Russ is a good bet used as you say and then a couple of small Traitor squads or CSM squads with Lascannons of such.

One of your main problems with this army is running away, use things from the CSM codex to make your units Fearless if it becomes a problem. (traitors are really prone to legging it.)

·
Registered
630 Posts
From what I've seen from the Lotd they do seem to struggle with ranged firepower and AT fire. For a couple of options I'd maybe look to Infiltrate a few traitor squads with LC's or missile's to provide some flanked AT fire. Is It possible to have two Lehman Russ's? If so I'd go with the tri HB set-up, having two AV14 vehicles on show should do well, providing the good all-round battle cannon for multitasking and your HB's for ranged anti-Infantry fire they should do a great Job.
Generally having the odd Hellhound or Defiler on show may look promising but If It's the only tank on show It'll end up taking ALL of your opponents AT fire and with their relatively low AV they may not last too long. :cry:
Can Lotd get hold of Obliterators? If so these guys are great for multitasking with their range of weapons and high Toughness/save.
As for your LD Issues you could look to adding a Dirge caster to one of the Russ's or one of your mainstay tanks, will make any unit within 6" become fearless!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i'd definately add as many russes as possible, since you can only take as much russes as traitor guard units i'll get some infiltrating heavy weapons anyways. i only got a problem with that bs3 and lascannons, so i thought about autocannons for those 2 shots, and since they infiltrate, it won't be too hard to get these into the side of the enemys tanks so that they can crack harder nuts, too. pity it isn't allowed to add chaos upgrades to imperial vehicles hence no dirge casters on russes but i won't need them anyways i think, i'd just have those mutants rush up the battlefield, the russes give cover fire and the traitors are somewhere at the flanks. so if the enemy wastes shots on the traitors, i'll thank the chaos gods for all those mutatnts that are still alive. additional anti tank could be provided by a sorceror on a tzeentchian daemonic steed wielding that s8 ap2 psychic power.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Autocannons are definately nice with S7 AP4 a good troop and light~med vehicle killer and 2shots are nice, but still might wanna LC or two to have a better chance on those AV13 and 14
Russes will be a good addition but dont rely on them too much, it will still take mutants time to hold up the opponent in CC and expect the russes to take alot of attention during that time
Hellhounds are nasty nuff said, just need something else then to ballance out AT
Defilers are alright, daemonic possesion to make sure it will keep shooting(it comes with it :D ) mutated hull to give it that extra AV if your going to be moving around alot, and it has heavy flamer and reaper autocannon along with the battle cannon plus it counts as monstrous creature in CC in case it gets tied up, but then also even though battle cannon is S8 ordinance you dont wanna rely on it for AT because of the scatter, so again need some support for AT
As for troop choices, mutants are good with just about any set up, but if you go with hell hound or defiler may wanna take some CSM to give you a little back bone with power armor, but with russes you would have to take traitor guard for them so best bet make your traitor guard very versatile in what they can shoot with

1 - 9 of 9 Posts