Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was thinking of starting an imperial guard army as a support regiment sort of thing for my SM army. Does anyone have any suggestions for making a 1000 pts army for as cheap as possible (Am in UK so I may not have access to some things in america etc.)

I was thinking of going with at least one veteran squad so I don't have to pay for 4 infantry squads and 2 command squads just to fill up troops!

Thanks

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm sure there would be somewhere that still has a few of the 20 man £18 boxes left for sale (maybe in ebay shops for instance) Use them, you've got two veteran squad troops choices for £9 each. :)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Check out the IG army list forum. They will have it all listed there and you'll get an idea of what you'll need. But IG army's are not cheap! Couple battle boxes, some vehicles (leman russ's, valks, chimera's) all add up. Have to pick what you want first and go for it.

What do you mean support regiment? Cause you cant mix the two army's. Or is this a houserules thing?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Fluff wise he can mix the two armies (ie fight side by side) he just cannot put IG troops under the command of Space Marines.

Back on Topic - If your going with Vets your probably gonna want a chimera to transport them round in, to get in rnage of all those lovely special weapons, and if you want one your gonna need three. Its the age old 'Rule of 3' when it comes to guard squads becasue when you need a squad to do something, the first will be dead, the second will miss, and the third will get the job done.

As to the army list, I run two 25 men platoons which are both mechanised, it gives me a range advantage of a similar no of points of vets, and once backed up with tanks and artillery, allows me to setup a gun-line while still keeping the mobility to contest and capture objectives. But it all boils down to what you want the army to do. As Loki said, stick your head into the IG army list part of the forum and you'll have lots of help from people who know the army inside and out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts