Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate skimmers moving fast, We all do (except you eldar players, you guys love it)

I was thinking about a possible rule to benefit tanks for moving slow.

This is what I was thinking,
If a fully armored, non-open-topped tank Moves more than 1 inch and less than 6inches it benefit from the crew being able to adjust thier steering and benefit most from the armor, and All Glancing hits are downgraded to Failure to hit.

Any ideas?

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Problem is, a rule like that makes land raiders almost unkillable...it also doesn't make a whole ton of sense...if they're moving slow then they're easier to hit and slower to react to incoming threats. I could see how on a 1 on 1 perspective, a crew taking its time could position the vehicle just so, so as to present a single enemy with the hardest point on the tank for a target...but on a war field, shots are coming from everywhere. If you're crawling along, you can't hope to maneuver your armor to block it all.

Big, huge, slow-moving tanks generally have a lot better armor than fast moving skimmers, and can more effectively use cover. Not to say they're evenly matched, but it helps.

Now, as has become customary for whenever I post in the rules forum, I pose a puzzler ;-)

Skimmers moving fast convert penetrating results to glances.
AP1 weapons always penetrate.

Which one has priority?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I don't think it's as much a matter of moving the tank so shots hit armored spots, the tanks just rumble along, not a whole lot of maneuvers can make a huge tank move faster than say a bullet.

That being said, the effect is the same: moving targets are harder to hit than stationary or nearly stationary ones.

Odds of hitting the turret ring/ driver hatch/ fuel port are pretty small, but the odds of hitting an armored plate pretty good.

@Galahad. The latter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
with the exception of Tau vehicles, the moving fast rule was designed to represent the fact that hitting a 90km/h+ flying thing with a lascannon is pretty damn difficult and even if it did hit, what section was hit? its impossible to pinpoint weak spots
Even our modern day AA guns just spray shots into the enemy chopper and pray something Critical was hit, the faster the chopper the harder it is to hit

if you are moving slow, the enemy can easily outmaneuver your vehicle to position themselves at a more favourable angle so the benefits of the "shield" of front armour is negated

Second reason is that Skimmers moving fast can DIE if an Immobilised hit is scored, a normal vehicle just sits there waiting for repair so the advantage of Glances is quite evenly balanced out

I'm pretty shure the AP1 rule overrides the moving fast rule but we have a lot of advocates who believe that the Fast rule overrides all. personally the AP1 makes sense, hows moving extremely fast gonna protect you from something that is designed punch through Landraider armour, hitting you?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AP1 does not work against SMF, it says so clearly in the book. under the SMF rule.

I played a game the other day against a good friend at work, I played a Mech SM army, total of 12 vehicles. he played eldar and had one wave serpant, It took me till the 5th turn to shoot down his wave serpant, whereas he was shooting down 1-2 of my tanks a turn, and his army wasn't even prepared to shoot at tanks, his strongest weapon was S8.

·
Registered
131 Posts
+ A bucketload of S6 too i would imagine.

Wave serpents and tau skimmers really aren't that hard to kill - especially in relation to their cost (80 pts for a none upgraded none scoring devilfish isn't great). The thing that does make most players groan though (Me included) are holofields.

Glancing only + holofields can be a real bugger to take out of play.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Don't forget Tau decoy launchers.

·
Registered
804 Posts
hmm question... what would override the other, holo-field rule vs. ordinance rule? or would you roll 4 dice, choose the 2 lowest, then choose the highest of the 2 remaining?

·
Registered
41 Posts
holo field make you roll 2 dice and choose the lowest on the effect of the shot, while ordenance makes you roll 2 dice and choose the higest on the penetration roll.
And on the GW home page erreta the Q about ap1 and skimmer mowing fast has been addresed. It gets only glanced :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have an Eldar codex at hand but the rules for holofields vs the rules for ordinance really depends on the exact wording. I remember playing the holofields as working for every dice rolled against the vehicles armor. When I used melta we rolled 2 dice at a time (one pair represents on dice I would get from melta) and the eldar player would choose the lowest in each pair for me to use and then we added the lowerst from each pair together. This method does give a lot better chances to destroy the vehicle than rolling four and the eldar choosing the lowest 2 and I think it represents the rules a lot more accurately.

As for ordinance I would suggest you do the same. Roll 2 pairs with the eldar player discarding the highest in each pair and then you have 2 dice to choose form for your ordinance.

I will be reading an eldar codex later today and I will gett he exact wording for holofields to see if it says "for every dice rolled" or something equivalent.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is unfortunately completely incorrect

Ordnance is 2d6 take highest for the penetration roll
Holofields are 2d6 take lowest for the effect on the damage chart.

you can use both rules without them interfering with each other at all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
you would be surprised how often those holofields give out. My falcon more often then not (even with careful playing) bites the dust eventuallly (but not nearly as soon as my non-holoed vypers)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts