Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So I've decided to try my hand at Warhammer 40k and am trying to decide on a army to start with. I'm debating between the Space Marines, Chaos Marines, or the Necron. The necron mainly because I love the idea of commanding undead types, but not sure how well they are to play for beginners. The Space Marines do seem the most versatile and seem great for beginners, as do the Chaos Marines (from what little I've read so far). Does anyone have any hints/suggestions/tips? I'd love to hear criticism for all three armies, pro's, con's, playing experience, etc.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
also consider what you think will be fun to paint. you will be spending a good amount of your hobby time building and painting your army, so you want something that catches your eye.

that being said, sure, SMs are forgiving, you can screw up and leave em in the open and a good chance they will survive. but its also exhilirating when you have your eldar or tau units work just the way you wanted to and you smahsed your opponent. just something to consider.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
i went for Necs because they have the We'll be back rule, which can bring them back to life. it also has the fun ability to make your opponant get very fustrated. the troops chices' guns can hurt/kill anything. And they look kwl!:)

btw, wait for more replies b4 u make ur decision. Necs dont offer a lot of choice in models :(

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would go for SM or CSM, as you easily could build a whole army using just plastic parts in the case of both, but you could not do so with the necrons.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Chaos is always a good choice, the army has too many options and "toys" to play with. Necrons really only have a few tricks they can use and I got bored using the same stuff all the time (No real character to the army). Space Marines are good to start with, lots of tactics and model options to choose from. You could also go with any other flavor of Space Marines instead of just the vanilla flavored ones. Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Black Templars, Space Wolves each have thier own Codex. I recommend researching and reading the "fluff" before choosing.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Space Wolves might be nice as they are expected to get a new codex sometime here in the next year. I would expect the basic troops to be something similar to Khorne Berserkers and of course they will probably have some of the coolest characters (Logan Grimnar and Ragnar Blackmane). Their very unique as far as Space Marines go.. they should be vastly diffrent than the rest of the codex marines and BA, DA go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, so after reading some more I've decided to start with SM, as they seem to be the most versatile army, and I cant quite make up my mind how I want to play yet. So, heres another question, perhaps more suitable for the modding/painting forum, but would it be allowed to use CSM helms/armor peices on SM forces?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep, Look in the eye of terror campaign book.

A special part of the Space Wolves called the 13th Company a nice mixture of Chaos and SM parts!

no vehicles allowed thugh, just lots of marines running across the board!

They're so cool!!!!

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
For other formations though, (and admittedly, even the Space Wolves 13th Great Company) you'll get the evil eye from Inquisitors, and they'll look more like Chaos Space Marines than loyalists, even with the most minimal use of Chaos parts.

·
Banned
135 Posts
I too was also choosing my first army a month ago. I chose Space Marines because it was pretty obvious they are the core army type of GW and will always have lots of support products devoted to them. But ...

I got the Chaos Marines Codex too and a lot of their units are better than Space Marines in a head to head comparison. But I think space Marines get a lot better vehicles overall, except the Defiler. So you might want to pick Chaos instead.

Or make two armies like I'm doing now.

PS - As a beginner I think Space Marines are a lot easier to paint than Chaos. Chaos minis have lot of little bits and details on them that take more time and precision to paint. Nercons are hard to paint (well) because they are dark and only a few colors, so advanced techniques are needed to make them look special, but if you just want them for play and not show then that won't matter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Necrons, reasons why. 1 there aren't 10 billion other Necron players... actually they are few and far between (I'm the only one in my area for example)

2. They are badasses plain and simple. They get up from even the most punishing fire and if they don't they can even get a second chance at it if you do it right!

3. As far as interesting painting opportunities go they have some of the most varied. From simple black with lighter highlights, to drybrushed boltgun (in the simplistic designs area) to, copper edged, red 'lit' cavities, on a black cherry finish, with striking blue shoulders and glowing yellow eyes. (can you tell what I did for mine?) to several others that exist. There are many ways you can paint Necrons, more so than Space Marines or Csm in my opinion (after all who in their right mind -doesn't- paint all those nice details different colors?)

Also, with Necrons you get an excuse to try out some lovely automotive paints like I did. (think red metal flaked anodized paint for my monolith and some of my scarabs)

The only flaw with Necrons though is they are very much a love or leave army. They don't play like Meqs (sorry they aren't... they just aren't) so they actually require alot more thought than alot of supposed veteran gamers will give them credit for.

(and in most cases a victory from the crons comes because the necron player was either extremely lucky or simply out played his opponent, maximising his own synergies while denying his opponent them)

Another plus for Necrons, the harder someone pushes to wipe them out (read someone using cheeselists 101) the harder the Necrons become to stop. Necrons can shut down most of the cheese lists in 40k while they can struggle immensely against the balanced lists.

Also seeing the look on a whiney marine 'veteran' player's face when you tell him you play Necrons is priceless. Even better when you beat him, swap lists, and beat him again.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Its a lot to do with what you want to paint and if you like the fluff those are the most important bits for me it doesnt matter to much about the playing as if you had fun its a win... 100th post yay:)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I started with Imperial Guard because they looked the best (in my opinion) and have quite a lot of random fluff. Though I wouldn't advice IG, as the standard guardsmen aren't that tough. a great starting army is Space Marines, and even more so ultramarines. They are very easy to by and simple to paint. IG makes a good second army

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, update, I made it to a semi-local gaming shop tonight and talked with a few players. After being asked alot of questions about how I like to play, I came to the conclusion of Chaos (More infantry, assault/melee type).

So, my next question would be, anyone by any chance have any tips on where/how to buy an army? Should I just go with the $90 mini-army set, or should I try to piece it together piece by piece?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would buy in bundles as much as possible. Start with ebay. then go to Gw as a last resort.

I would not do the battleforce. Get the boxed army instead.

see if you can find it on ebay cheaper first though. never know might be a damaged box out there. *I saved half on my cron battle force that way*

It's worth it easily.. trust me. Two weeks or so later after I bought my Tau battle force, the megaforce was released. I felt ripped off even though I 'saved' quite abit!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, you can take the above advice, however it really depends on your budget. If you're willing to dish out $250+paints, brushes, codex, etc then that's cool.

Since you (assumingly) haven't played Chaos yet, I'd buy a box or two of troops and an HQ choice, along with your codex. This way you can try out a bit of the army to see if they are to your fancy. As people are about to reply, a small force like that really doesn't give you a grasp of the army, and I agree, it doesn't-however it gives you a general perspective imo.

As for where to get the models, obviously they need to be GW models if you plan on gaming in tournaments, or depending on which other models you might have been thinking to use, standard games. I do hear a lot about Ebay, however I'm one of those people that just buys it from GW so I know it isn't broken or used, blah blah.

So yeah, Chaos is a very cool army, I'm not really a fan of the chaos models overall, but most of them are pretty nice. The army in general plays well too, my BA has been beaten twice in a row now by a 13yr old chaos player. :shok:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
its always always good to start with a mini army set and develop your force from there. of course it helps if you angle your force towards a Chaos God.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would sit down with the Codex and work out what you want to use first. Just dont go out and purchase a ton of mini's that you probably won't use. Make a few Army List's of 1000-2000+ pts and see what you want to use. Then go out and get the mini's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts