Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Does the new super glue still have the brush in it? Or have they gone back to the nozzle? I -hate- the brush-- I'll buy citadel glue occasionally if I really need glue since it's convenient to get at the FLGS, but I generally prefer Krazy Glue for half the price at the drug store. (As a side note, a fun game to play at the drug store is to buy cold medication with codeine in it, superglue, and small measuring cups all in one transaction-- they have to get out their little book of "This person might be cooking meth if they're purchasing the following in one transaction...") I stopped buying Citadel glue when they switched to the brush for superglue, since it's just a pain in the ass to apply sparingly with it, and it's hard to tell how much is on the brush. But I'll probably pick some up again at some point or another if it doesn't have the brush in it and they've gone back to a precision tip/nozzle.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
i just bitch about the price... its ~$7 for a little bottle of glue, not even remotely competitive in the market.
Need it be in that price range?

If I'm at my local GW and I realise I'm running low on glue, I'm not going to wait and go to another store just to save $2-4 if I'm totally honost. I'll be buying it right there because of convenience. A couple more dollars or euros for convenience isn't really that big a deal...

So yeah, it's more expensive, but it's right there in front of me at that time.

If I'm sitting at home and making an online order at a third party retailer for my miniatures, I'll get a cheaper alternative. But not at the actual brick and mortar store and that IS the GW marketing strategy in the end.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I'm a poundland man ten tubes for a quid is good enough for me, Yes it doesn't last as long as better glues but it's a fraction of the price and to be fair once somethings glued it's difficult to tell the price of the glue and yes it takes a little more care when using it but the old GW glue with brush only took a tiny drop of water on the brush to turn the bristles into a clogged up ball of crap so I'll keep the extra cash to spend on models thank you.

·
Innovative Forge-Lord
2,579 Posts
Bottom line people...overpriced!

If you have been around this hobby any length of time (and visited the modelling tutorials section) then you will know that there are cheaper alternatives to GW's glues.

I am not saying what they are selling is a poor product...they only re-package and mark-up but look around.

Thick and thin super glue @ £4.10 a pop from GW for 5 grams.
Try Zap-A Gap Medium CA+ and CA instead (or Zap green and pink as it is sometimes known).

I get 14 gram bottles @ £2.95 from my favourite online provider for £2.95 plus £2.95 postage. This stuff is some of the best superglue I have ever used and comes with a double seal so your glue doesn't start to dry out and congeal like the GW stuff does.

Thick and thin plastic glue @ £4.10 for 20 grams from GW.
The only glue you should ever need is a thin liquid poly glue. I personally use Humbrol liquid poly which costs me £1.50 per 28 gram bottle from my local model shop. Team it up with an old paint brush and you should never want for anything else...ever! Try typing 'liquid poly glue' into google and see how many hits for Humbrol you get.

Of course there are stronger versions like Plastic Weld (produced by Plastruct and excellent for a range of different plastics, including ABS). A 57 gram bottle costs me £2.99 at my model shop.

Now for a positive point for GW from me...which doesn't happen often.

Liquid Greenstuff. I have used liquid putties in the past like Tamiya putty and Squadron Green putty but it is pretty vile stuff and not that nice to use. I have not yet tried GW's Greenstuff but it has a massive positive of being water soluble and can be applied by brush so sounds like a good product. It actually seems like a fair price too so long as it doesn't suffer from drying out.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts