Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the new cover arts have been released and they are looking excellent. The dragon on Caledor looks bloody awesome, as does Victories of the Space Marines. The Grey Knights are returning, perhaps we can expect Ben Counter to continue the series.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I am hoping that Gav Thorpe continues with his Renegades for this, if I remember correctly, he mentioned in his thread on the Bolthole that they were coming back at some point. Anyway, onto the covers :p

All, in my opinion, look good. Savage Scars is probably my favourite however, it potrays a White Scar as I have always imagined them. Fall of Damnos is another that I really like, although from afar (In other words, not zoomed in :p) I couldn't really make out much. I do see C.L. Werner's name upon the Victories of the Space Marines cover, perhaps he will continue in some way or form with the Orks in Fear the Alien? Well, give them a cameo or something..

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I do indeed, Bane. Am I the only one who has noticed a considerably better quality upon the covers of the novels? I don't think any of these are bad, nor are any of the new ones (Bar the Death Korps one.....That is...Bland.) that I have seen so far.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cover art is getting a lot better in recent releases. The only cover that is a step back is Dead Men Walking, its just awful, and even worse considering which regiment is the star. The Death Korps of Krieg deserve a cover that shows off their might and the best armour in the Guard.

My favourite new covers are Blood Reaver, Caledor and Age of Darkness.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Fuck me sideways, Caledor is unimaginable. After my earlier... slandering of Sullivan`s works, this very Anne McCaffrey-esque cover makes my girly Dark-Elf dreams come true in a simply spectacular fashion. I want that on my duvet/shirt.

Fall of Damnos is epic, Age of Darkness is mediocre; the positions of Horus` limbs look askew, but still, seeing ''him'' in his full, Chaotic glory is a treat anyhow.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Victories of the Space Marines kind of looks like a step backwards compared to the cover of the Grey Knights Omnibus:

And yes, the current/forthcoming artwork is substantially improved over earlier cover art.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Loving the Savage Scars cover the most myself; looks absolutely beautiful.

In regards to Dead Men Walking, well why should it be terribly flashy or anything like that? The Death Korps of Krieg aren't a flashy bunch, they don't like showing off and impressing. They get the job done whatever the cost, the cover for their book is appropriate. You know its a gun, it has some skulls and the regiment symbol but unless your looking for them they don't pop out; from that I got the impression of no nonsense, not flashy, just get the job done. I don't know about some of you, but that puts me in the mindset for them from the very start.

Shadow Walker, remember that though some covers feature the main character(s) on the cover, not all of them do. That may very well not be Garro, but some other space marine. Also, wasn't Libertes just a broadsword or am I thinking of the weapon used by Tarvitz?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Altough the cover is bland the cover of Victories has got me excited anyway. Could the grey knight mean we are finnaly getting the written account of the 1st war for Armmeggedon i have been waiting for? I can only hope!

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No it wont be Armageddon. It'll be a Justicar Alaric short story, a sequel hopefully but the Terminator makes me thing Justicar Tancred, so it could be a prequel.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I would like to point the attentions of the Garro audio, to the chest area. There is clearly a Luna Wolf head on there. Loken or Qruze my bets are on now! Also: On the case of Dead Men Walking, I do like the cover, but I wanted to see the Death Korps in action. Like marching across a battlefield in well organized ranks, firing at the hip.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Huh DA is right. Well I see hints of a beard around the face so thats likely Iacton Qruze, hmm he looks cool.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am hoping that Gav Thorpe continues with his Renegades for this, if I remember correctly, he mentioned in his thread on the Bolthole that they were coming back at some point. Anyway, onto the covers :p

All, in my opinion, look good. Savage Scars is probably my favourite however, it potrays a White Scar as I have always imagined them. Fall of Damnos is another that I really like, although from afar (In other words, not zoomed in :p) I couldn't really make out much. I do see C.L. Werner's name upon the Victories of the Space Marines cover, perhaps he will continue in some way or form with the Orks in Fear the Alien? Well, give them a cameo or something..
Gav Thorpe said on his website that Renegades is getting a sequel in the next Space Marine anthology so it looks like we can expect it in Victories. Steve Parker has confirmed that Headhunted will be getting it's sequel in Victories of the Space Marines as well. This is probably the most excited I've ever been for a Black Library book. :biggrin: My two favorite stories from Heroes of the Space Marines are getting sequels in the same anthology!

As for the covers....I was hoping for a Deathwatch cover for Victories but the Grey Knight looks good. The rest are all nice but the cover on Fall of Damnos is my favorite by far.

·
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect
4,632 Posts
I've said it a thousand fucking times... the gayest thing in 40k is Cato's frilly little boom top... Jesus, does that not look absolutely retarded to anyone else!? "Hey! Follow the prick with the broom on his head! Yeah! He knows where all the best gay bars are!"

ugh...

CP

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
I've said it a thousand fucking times... the gayest thing in 40k is Cato's frilly little boom top... Jesus, does that not look absolutely retarded to anyone else!? "Hey! Follow the prick with the broom on his head! Yeah! He knows where all the best gay bars are!"

ugh...

CP
quoted for truth there Ploss.

Some epic cover art, it's nice to see.

Grish

·
Registered
5,934 Posts

ugh...

CP
As you once said to me 'calm down, go get a beer' (I'm paraphrasing of course).:alcoholic:

That 'broom top' is very much an Ultramarine thing, Sicarius is hardly the first UM Captain to have one and it gels with their classical inspiration/background.
Just liking have a 'crocodile dundee' style necklace of wolves teeth does with Space Wolves.

·
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect
4,632 Posts
As you once said to me 'calm down, go get a beer' (I'm paraphrasing of course).:alcoholic:

That 'broom top' is very much an Ultramarine thing, Sicarius is hardly the first UM Captain to have one and it gels with their classical inspiration/background.
Just liking have a 'crocodile dundee' style necklace of wolves teeth does with Space Wolves.
i still think he'd be better off with a white mushroom cap, at least he'd fit the part. lol

you are right, i did say that to you once. lol I will take that advice. i just needed to vent my feelings about that silly ceiling brush. :)

CP

1 - 20 of 22 Posts