Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Apathetic Megalomaniac
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
via an anonymous source from the Faeit 212 inbox
There is some talk about GW still working on a new App. It is supposed to launch with the new website next year.

It will be a full-fledged App allowing online purchases and, maybe more interesting, allowing GW to better enforce DRM for their digital books (i.e. the purchase of an ebook from GW will be linked to the account and can only be used through this account). The bright side is that it is supposed to include an army builder (this might be build into a new format of digitial codex), the downside is that it might be the end of the regular printed codex book. Collector's editions are selling so well that GW is considering to only offer the limited edition printed book "while stocks last" and the ebook version.

Orcs, supposed to be released after the launch of the new website, will be a kind of trial run offering all three versions of the codex (Collector's edition, new style digital codex and "normal" codex) with a big campaign to persuade customers of the advantages of the digital product.

In this regard, actual army lists might disappear from the Collector's editions. Instead they will include a version of the digital codex. This is considered to get rid of the FAQ/Erratas, those will be entirely solved through database updates on the App.
It's an interesting rumor, I kind of like an increased focus on digital codices, and this app might solve the problem of no interactive codices on Android devices. Holding a book in your hands is always nice, but automatically updating rule changes makes up for it I think.

Of course, it is an anonymous source from Faiet 212, so it could all be bullshit, take some salt.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'm not sure on the discontinuing of printed books. I'm new to the hobby and know GW has some odd practices. But, I also went to school for printing and such so I am familiar with that realm.

But to raise a few points, they'd be narrowing their market to only those with tablets, which currently their market consists of: those with tablets AND those without, ie, everyone.

They've massively upgraded the quality of the codexes this edition, not sure why they would bother making a quality leap like that if they were only to digitize them and erase the hard cover standard they've established. Not to mention, digitizing them would remove them from stores all together, not having a retail presence in stores limits new customers. No one can walk by, pick up the book and "ooh and ahh" at it. (Not that they really care much about retailers from what I've read)

And, the books are printed in China, I highly doubt that breaks the bank for them.

All in all, it seems like going digital only hasn't been a viable choice for any market. Video game publishers didn't do it with this generation, book publishers haven't bother despite the advent of e-readers, and heck, they still print newspapers despite the entire internet. It seems like the general consensus is that it only stands to limit the customer base.

Or maybe I'm wrong.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
There is some talk about GW still working on a new App. It is supposed to launch with the new website next year.

It will be a full-fledged App allowing online purchases
Awesome. Their site currently sucks cock on mobile.

allowing GW to better enforce DRM for their digital books (i.e. the purchase of an ebook from GW will be linked to the account and can only be used through this account).
Super, super lame.

the downside is that it might be the end of the regular printed codex book. Collector's editions are selling so well that GW is considering to only offer the limited edition printed book "while stocks last" and the ebook version.
Almost as lame as the last quote. I mean, I am enough of a wanker to buy their severely overpriced limited collectors bullshit crap, but limited only? Fuck off.
But then, I really cannot see them doing it this drastically. Whilst I personally use Digital Codicies on my iPad and iPhone for playing, I don‘t think a whole lot of other people would like this change and it would alienate a lot of GWs customer base.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
If i spend £35-60 on a book I want a decent sized tome that will double up as a self defence device.

Personally i'd like to see digital codex rule sets for around £10-15 (with no fluff or pictures) and the print editions as they are. You could even bundle the digital rules with the book for an extra £5 or something.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
GW won't stop producing printed Dex's, it's not just going to happen anytime soon, if they do they are more idiotic than I think they are, and that is quite something!

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
100% of their players don't have a system to display their Ebooks. This I have to imagine is nonsense. The app? Probably, that way they don't have to worry about multiple copies of their prduct being DRM-Free out there. that I believe. No more printed books? Not going to happen.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The part im honestly more interested in is the army builder. I mean if its true i could definetly see more people buying the ebook becuase i think its alot easier to use a digital army builder than putting it all on pen an paper. But then again this is one mans humble opinion

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
What the FUCK is a tablet?
It's a Scottish desert mate, if you have a pan big enough you can make one to rest your codex on.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Printing out the codexes would end up being like 180 pages + the rule book, would make it like 1000 pages. Printer ink ain't cheap and I'm sure GW would charge plenty for the ebooks as it is. Assuming people don't want to lug their Desktops to their local spot.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Printing out the codexes would end up being like 180 pages + the rule book, would make it like 1000 pages. Printer ink ain't cheap and I'm sure GW would charge plenty for the ebooks as it is. Assuming people don't want to lug their Desktops to their local spot.
First off, you can get Staples or Office Max to do it for $10 or less. If you remove a lot of the fluff (which some people do) you cut the book in half at least. And you can change font size to reduce page count.

And there is also a .mobi file type that works on Smartphones.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
First off, you can get Staples or Office Max to do it for $10 or less. If you remove a lot of the fluff (which some people do) you cut the book in half at least. And you can change font size to reduce page count.

And there is also a .mobi file type that works on Smartphones.
Staples would do it for around $37 B&W, and about $180ish for color (600ish pages = 400 pages for the BRB, 90ish for the Codex, multiplied by 2 for front and back, and halved for fluff removal) + tax.

This price in addition to what the BRB and Codex already cost you to purchase from GW in the app. Let's assume they charge maybe $10 less than the usual price (considering their prices). That's around $65 for the BRB, and $40 for the codex.

Including the printing fee, that's $142 for black and white printed out, and $285 for color printed out. Far more expensive than the physical copy price for a massive decline in physical quality, with the only added benefit that it can be displayed on your PC (since you're printing it out for mobility).

Even if you reduce the printed pages, it still ends up closer toward what the price of the books are currently for, still, a decrease in quality.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Staples would do it for around $37 B&W, and about $180ish for color (600ish pages = 400 pages for the BRB, 90ish for the Codex, multiplied by 2 for front and back, and halved for fluff removal) + tax.
Odd, because I've heard prices quoted quite lower and very recently.

This price in addition to what the BRB and Codex already cost you to purchase from GW in the app. Let's assume they charge maybe $10 less than the usual price (considering their prices). That's around $65 for the BRB, and $40 for the codex.
That is assuming you didn't buy a hardcopy (which isn't being pushed out the door by the actual rumor here), and decided to print your digital copy instead.

Including the printing fee, that's $142 for black and white printed out, and $285 for color printed out. Far more expensive than the physical copy price for a massive decline in physical quality, with the only added benefit that it can be displayed on your PC (since you're printing it out for mobility).

Even if you reduce the printed pages, it still ends up closer toward what the price of the books are currently for, still, a decrease in quality.
Again, that's only if they completely remove books entirely, which the rumor doesn't say. It says they're pushing the digital books first as a primary means of getting the rules and the books second. And it's also assuming you don't have a smart phone or a tablet (which is a shrinking number of folks in the states from what I've seen) and couldn't use those instead.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I used this http://www.staplescopyandprint.ca/downloads/brochureeng_pricelist.pdf as a source, but now that I look at the URL, it's ".ca" so DERP on my part. I can't imagine the exchange rate varies to an extreme degree though.

I feel that this rumor is just an inaccurate extrapolation of what they're doing with the codex supplements: Releasing the digital copy first, then the printed copy later, which is probably only because their printer is busy working on printing the main codexes and next edition rulebooks, etc. Supplement's aren't the priority, but they're done so they want to move the finished product faster.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts