Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello I'm new to 40k and was thinking of a list to buy before I put my money down on models. So I wanted to have a second opinion on my list.

HQ
Sorcerer w/familiar
Mark of Slaanesh
Doomblot
Lash

Elites
Chosen
5 marines w/5 plasma guns
Chaos Glory
Rhino
Extra Armor
Dozer Blades
Combi weapon

Chosen
5 marines w/ 5 plasma guns
Chaos Glory
Rhino
Extra Armor
Dozer Blades
Combi weapon

Terminators
3 Terminators
Combi-bolter

Troop
Chaos Space Marine
9 marines w/ 2 plasma guns
1 champion w/ Power fist and Chaos Glory and combi weapon
Rhino
Extra Armor
Dozer blades
combi weapon

Chaos Space Marine
Rhino
Extra Armor
Dozer blades
combi weapon

Chaos Space Marine
Rhino
Extra Armor
Dozer blades
combi weapon

Heavy Support
Chaos Havocs
4 marines w/ Missile Launcher one marine w/ Chaos Glory
1 Champion

Chaos Havocs
1 Champion

The main idea behind this is to make a Rhino wall (have my rhinos come into a \/ shape so I can shoot for a turn and not be attack in close combat because the space between the rhino is big enough for me to shoot but not to big to get assaulted and I can jump back in next turn and fire from the top and rinse and repeat). The Havocs are there to help blow up other light tanks and the terminators are for a termination team to blow up a land raider
Any info to make this list better plz give your opinion.

OK here we go again

HQ
Daemon Prince w/ Wings
Mark of Slaanesh
Lash

Elites
Chosen
5 marines w/5 melta guns
Chaos Glory
Rhino
Extra Armor
Combi weapon

Chosen
5 marines w/5 melta guns
Chaos Glory
Rhino
Extra Armor
Combi weapon

Chosen
5 marines w/5 melta guns
Chaos Glory
Rhino
Extra Armor
Combi weapon

Troop
Chaos Space Marine
1 champion w/Chaos Glory and combi weapon
Rhino
Extra Armor
combi weapon

Chaos Space Marine
Rhino
Extra Armor
combi weapon

Chaos Space Marine
Rhino
Extra Armor
Dozer blades
combi weapon

Heavy Support
Chaos Havocs
5 marines w/ 4 melta guns 1w/chaos glory
Rhino
Extra armor
combi weapon

Chaos Havocs
5 marines w/ 4 melta guns 1w/chaos glory
Rhino
Extra armor
combi weapon

total 1980

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
first off if your gonna put 20 pts into upgrading rhinos get demonic possession

2nd trade out the havocs for oblits (teams of 2) - this will save you 60 pts

i havent run chosen yet, but the majority of the time ive seen them run with meltas (or combi-meltas) so that they can pop tanks.

only other recommendation would be to tell us WHAT combi-bolter that they are taking, just listing that they have it can be a big difference if its plasma, flamer, or melta.

good list other wise

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
alright heres my oppinion, i have never played another army besides chaos i have played for 3 years in league 2 years with friends. i recognized that you are a new player without reading your post name or your bio on the top simply because your list show new player traits. first i want to give you acolades for using chosen that is a great unit to use considering the ability to spam plasma fire. also you have a good idea about havocs for popping light armor. i personally like that you are runing more than 2 troops because a lot of new players run minimum troops and take large expensive heavy supports or elites.
Alright here are the problems i see in the list that gave away your new player traits. alright rhinos are cheap and only have 11 armor their job is simply to act as a barrier to your troops so giving your rhinos extra armor, doser blades and combi weapons are just taking points away from the rest of your army. spending 65 points on a rhino is a waste considering their main job is to get destroyed. take the 30 points off the rhino and get it to base 35. moving on Troops, i personally think that taking cult legion troops is more affective but some people like taking regular troops in large numbers, which is perfectly fine but you really dont want your generic marines at 300 points they are meant to be cheaper than cult legion your troops are as expensive as thousand sons and less effective then thousand sons. i would suggest dropping the aspiring champion with the powerfist. i know power fist sound and look cool but the problem with taking them in troops is you shouldnt be in combat with something you need a S8 powerfist against youre not going to be rushing a squad at a carnifex are you. most things in this game are T4 so you dont need a powerfist. like i said you shouldnt be rushing carnifexes or nightbringers or tankis with your troops, their job is to shoot and if something that you think your troop can handle gets to close to you move up bolt pistol and assualt.
Now you play chaos so nothing really gets the privilage of assualting you because you have lash of submission so you dont have to worry about you squads ever needing powerfist incase they get assualted by something big because your not going to ignore a T5+ character or monsterous crature running at your stuff if you get assualted by one its your own fault because they should have picked out and tooken care of before hand. alright so i would drop the aspiring champions with powerfist and combi weapons.
Sorcerers are cool i like them but i take daemon princes they are more affective they are monsterous creatures so you get 2D6 to pin vehicles. they have eternal warrior and they are just awesome but im assuming you are taking a sorcerer because you can put him in a rhino with a squad. i respect your thoughts but if you insist on taking a sorcerer i would take the familiar off because if you are going to spend points on familiar you might as well take another 25 to 30 point spell not stupid doombolt. but yea take familiar off you dont realy need it and it just makes your cheap unit more expensive. lash is all you need. oh and take 2 if you are going to take them. 2 lashes is better than 1. another thing is drop the aspiring champion off your havocs its stupid because your havocs are 5 man with 4 heavy weapons if you get shot and take a wound who are you going to take off. probably the 5th member so you might as well drop the champion and just take a regular cannon fodder troop. now i said that havocs are great for destroying light armor but take lascannons a 5 man with no mark is 215 its better and for the job not to menchin you can also pop 13 armor easier and possible 14 if your lucky. id take 3 squads.
Terminators, they are cool looking but often time not paying for themselves the only way you can maximize a terminator squad is in a landraider deep striking sucks and for the job in your list of popping land raiders i would'nt suggest trusting that 1 job with a squad of terminators with combimeltas simply because if they fail they are just garbage they will get shot and killed. drop that squad and spend the points upgrading your sorcerers into daemon princes remember 2D6 for armor penetrating at S6. for 155 points you take a Daemon Prince with MoS with Lash and wings.
alright the only thing i can suggest to you is to take cult troops. if your job of your troops is to just sit and shoot plama guns plague marines are better at that and plus you can have 2 special weapons in a 5 man squad. you dont have to buy plague marine models you can just mod regular marines to look like plagues by drilling small holes in their armor and adding green stuff for corrosion not to menchin you can still give them your army paint job and use them as regular marines if you wanted to aswell.
alright theres my oppinion you can use the info i gave you or not its up too you i learned what was good over time and their is a learning curve that every player must go through with their army. also i am curious what legion you are playing, i play Emperors children and i take lots of noise marines.
hope that helps and good luck with the army.

·
Halloween Town
477 Posts
I would have to agree with most of the points 5tonsledge said!
Hq choice would be better as a DP
Elites, I don't use them myself but everyone seems to rave about them! Although I'm not too keen on plasma guns, gets hot can be quite frustrating!
I would certainly take off all the extra crap off the rhinos! In my opinion the only rhinos that need anything are ones that carry zerkers or assault minded NM's and they need EA!
I love termies and do take them occasionally but to be fair they usually do very little! But thats just my experience with them!
I would have to disagree with the PF factor though! I find them very useful!
Troops wise I think (unless you have a particular theme in mind) I would get some PM's in there! 2 squads of 7 would be quite tasting, Rhino PC with PF and 2 PG's (I know I originally disregarded PG's but with PM's FNP they just have that extra cushion!)
I would Also throw in a squad of zerkers just coz they are assault joy!
But now we are completely changinging everything which isn't useful so. . . .

DP
MofS wings Lash - 155

Elites

5 chosen - 175
5 meltas
rhino

5 chosen - 200
5 plasma guns
rhinio

Troops

10 CSM's - AC with PF IofCG 2x MG rhino - 255

7 PM's - PC with PF 2 x PG rhino - 266

7 PM's - PC with PF 2 x PG rhino - 266

8 KB's - SC with PF rhino EA - 258

Heavy support
either

2 oblits - 150

2 oblits - 150

or

2 Vindies with DP - 290

which leaves you with a 125 points (if you went for oblits) or 135 (vindie option) which you could squeeze in a Sorcerer MofS and lash
If you are not keen on KB's you could swap them out for another squad of CSM's or (if vindie option) another PM squad!
Just a few thoughts hope it helps!

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Khorne's Wrath

If your looking for a list, i'm going to try to recruit you as a Blood thirsty, screaming Khorne Follower...

These are my best lists:

HQ-

Kharn the Betrayer - 165

Daemon Prince - 155
Wings, Warptime

Troops-

(8) Khorne Berserkers - 263
Skull Champion with Powerfist, Meltabombs
-Rhino with Extra-Armour

-Rhino with Extra-Armour

(7) Khorne Berserkers - 197
Kharn the Betrayer will ride with these.
-Rhino with Extra-Armour

Heavy Support-

Defiler - 150
4x Dreadnought Close-Combat Weapon

Defiler - 150
4x Dreadnought Close-Combat Weapon

(2) Obliterators - 150

Aaaaaand

HQ-

Kharn the Betrayer, Champion of Khorne - 165

Angron, Primarch of the World Eaters (Daemon Prince) - 155
Wings, Warptime

Troops-

-Rhino with Extra-Armour

(8) Khorne Berserkers - 238
Skull Champion with Meltabombs
-Rhino with Extra-Armour

(8) Khorne Berserkers - 168
Kharn the Betrayer will ride with these.

Elites-

(8) Khorne Chosen - 194
5x Meltagun

Dreadnought, Warmachine of Khorne - 135
Lascannon, Dreadnought Close-Combat Weapon

Dreadnought, Warmachine of Khorne - 135
Lascannon, Dreadnought Close-Combat Weapon

Heavy Support-

'The Divider', Kharn's Personal Land Raider - 240
Daemonic Possession

(2) Obliterators of Khorne - 150

(2) Obliterators of Khorne - 150

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hello I'm new to 40k and was thinking of a list to buy before I put my money down on models. So I wanted to have a second opinion on my list.

HQ
Sorcerer w/familiar
Mark of Slaanesh
Doomblot
Lash
You can't use two powers with MoS so why take two?

Elites
Chosen
5 marines w/5 plasma guns
Chaos Glory
Rhino
Extra Armor
Dozer Blades
Combi weapon
You don't really need max specials, see the Rhino only allows two models to fire from the hatch so three specials are being wasted. Or get out the Rhino to fire and putting your models at risk..bad idea.

Just take dual specials on and IOCG if you have points.

Chosen
5 marines w/ 5 plasma guns
Chaos Glory
Rhino
Extra Armor
Dozer Blades
Combi weapon
As above.

Terminators
3 Terminators
Combi-bolter
If you're using this for suicide melta I'd rather take Raptors. Reason is they get two meltas on tap while combi are single shot and once spent your load that's it, so if you miss mad times. Also, Raptors got more movibility.

Troop
Chaos Space Marine
Rhino
Extra Armor
Dozer blades
combi weapon
You cannot charge after firing plasma guns so why the power fist? Champion is just a big point sink.

Chaos Space Marine
Rhino
Extra Armor
Dozer blades
combi weapon
As above.

Chaos Space Marine
Rhino
Extra Armor
Dozer blades
combi weapon
As above.

Heavy Support
Chaos Havocs
1 Champion
Look ok to me, but Champion is a point sink. Should be 125 per unit if I'm right, missile launchers are 10 points.

[quoteChaos Havocs
1 Champion
180[/quote]

As above

Get those things sorted and the list will be loads better :)

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Angron!?

where are the rules for him?
counts as Daemon Prince mate, he's calling him Angron.

Great advice by everyone so far, but if he’s going for MEQ spam….

Drop the Familiar and Doom Bolt from the Sorc.; he is not a MC or have MoT, thus he cannot shoot twice per turn.

Yeah, DP’s are great but they can die easily because they’re MC’s and can’t hide in a squad to soak up firepower. I’ve killed several with my Eldar and ‘Nids in the first turn, and I didn’t even get to go first.

Give the Chosen meltas instead of plasma: it’s cheaper and more reliable. Drop all of your upgrades on the Rhinos.

Chosen typically become suicide troops if you outflank with them but are great for killing Thundernators or LRs.

Not sure about the role your termicide squad is to play with this list, I’d drop them.

Whilst you may be attempting a Black Legion list, if you’re going to use that much plasma with your Troop choices, I highly recommend you use Plague Marines. You max out the squad at 10, but I’d use no less than 7.

And while you may not want to play Nurgle, don’t play a Nurgle list. Your Plague Marines don’t have to be painted like Plague Marines, just use the rules for them. Too many people will tell you that your unit has to look a certain way just because you take a Chaos mark. Bollocks. It’s your army. You’re paying money for it and painting it. Paint it however you want.

Again, drop the extras on the rhino, unless you’re planning to use them as an assault force, otherwise give the Rhinos Daemonic Possession.

I like the Havocs: Oblits can be better, but Havocs can be harder to kill if you take enough of them.

Drop the Champion upgrade, and add more ablative wounds to them.

That’s all I got. With all that being said, my opinion is not to discredit any advice already given. The whole point of this is to give you options on what you could do to make your list; make up your own mind. The lists posted are viable, and very successful.

If there was a disadvantage to them it would be that they may expected (and therefore, potentially easier to counter) in your gaming area. Personally, I love MEQ’s. There’s nothing more I’d like to see than an army list with 80 traitor Marines marching into madness to gouge out the eyes from the corpse-Emperor.

good hunting.

·
Halloween Town
477 Posts
And while you may not want to play Nurgle, don’t play a Nurgle list. Your Plague Marines don’t have to be painted like Plague Marines, just use the rules for them. Too many people will tell you that your unit has to look a certain way just because you take a Chaos mark. Bollocks. It’s your army. You’re paying money for it and painting it. Paint it however you want.
Very true words!!! Although just to point out if you are going the way of black legion then there is no reason why you cant paint them black legion colours! Its what I have done with my bezerkers!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yeah, DP’s are great but they can die easily because they’re MC’s and can’t hide in a squad to soak up firepower. I’ve killed several with my Eldar and ‘Nids in the first turn, and I didn’t even get to go first.
god you have played some dumb fucking players if they put their daemon princes die so quickly. most games i might lose 1 daemon prince but that is a rare chance. if you move your daemon prince around good you dont have to worry about dying. and they have eternal warrior with 4 wounds so they soak up a lot of high Strength shots. but yea you must have played some dumb players if they lost theirs that quick.

Give the Chosen meltas instead of plasma: it’s cheaper and more reliable. Drop all of your upgrades on the Rhinos.
Players who say plasmas are unreliable useually have never used plasmas or have used them once or twice and had bad experiences with them. i would much rather be able to put off 10 shots S7 ap2 then 5 S8 ap1. this unit isnt going to be a tank killing unit so why give them meltas when firing at terminators is so much better with plasmas. i take 3 squads of 5 with 15 plasmaguns total i have mowed down so many assualt terminators from marine players and other chaos players before the terminators even make combat.

Chosen typically become suicide troops if you outflank with them but are great for killing Thundernators or LRs.
wait why would you use chosen as suicide god they are way to expensive to just use as suicide troops. put them in rhinos move them up with the rest of your army use them with your Daemon Princes dont send them out just to kill one or 2 things. god

Not sure about the role your termicide squad is to play with this list, I’d drop them.hey we agree on something

Whilst you may be attempting a Black Legion list, if you’re going to use that much plasma with your Troop choices, I highly recommend you use Plague Marines. You max out the squad at 10, but I’d use no less than 7.
again we agree

never said he had to paint them nurgle, just said you might want to model the unit as plagues. some people are picky on you having regular units playing as plague marines. i personally dont care because i play for enjoyment and like to have friendly games but i have played players that didnt aprove of using generic marines as plagues or bezerkers, or thousand sons. but yea i agree it is youyr army and your money so might aswell make your army 100% the image you want to look at.

I like the Havocs: Oblits can be better, but Havocs can be harder to kill if you take enough of them.
true i like oblits but they are limited and often people get so worried about killing oblits they often time kill them instant death anyways.

Drop the Champion upgrade, and add more ablative wounds to them.
Agree
If your looking for a list, i'm going to try to recruit you as a Blood thirsty, screaming Khorne Follower...
thats all we need is another person screaming "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD"
You don't really need max specials, see the Rhino only allows two models to fire from the hatch so three specials are being wasted. Or get out the Rhino to fire and putting your models at risk..bad idea.
Dumbest thing ive ever heard of. how often are you going to just jump out of your rhino when you can see that your squad will die. maxing these plasmas will stop just about anything. if you must get out of your rhino to kill something disembark the squad and move the rhino in front of the squad blocking line of sight from the chosen this makes great cover and you will be able to rapid fire the plasmas.

If you're using this for suicide melta I'd rather take Raptors. Reason is they get two meltas on tap while combi are single shot and once spent your load that's it, so if you miss mad times. Also, Raptors got more movibility.
True raptors do make great suicide squads but you shouldnt really take any unit just for suicide missions. you should never waste points like that just to take a target out. its 50/50 on deepstriking not to menchin it could take up to 3 turns for them to get on the table. the only things you need meltas for is landraiders and dreadnoughts. if you want meltas with raptors id put them on the field at the start of the game and put them behind rhinos if land raiders get close jump out from behind the rhino and fire the meltas. much more affective and plus you wont lose the points for the raptors as easy.

You cannot charge after firing plasma guns so why the power fist? Champion is just a big point sink.
yes you can, they are rapid or assualt,so you can fire and still assualt just dont rapid fire the plasmas if you are going to assualt.

Look ok to me, but Champion is a point sink. Should be 125 per unit if I'm right, missile launchers are 10 points.
missle launchers are 20 points for havocs besides you should use lascannons. 215 for a 5 man squad with 4 lascannons
:)
had to clear some stuff up, not to offend just to voice my oppinion. other than that everyone here has done a good job making good constructive advice.

·
Halloween Town
477 Posts
Erm since when have plasma guns been assault weapons?? They are rapid fire weapons! So if you shoot them at all you cant assault that phase! Although you can use the squads bolt pistols to soften the enemy up before said assault!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
ah apears you are correct luckily i have never assualted with my chosen after firing. good that you pointed that out or else i would have never checked the codex. but i also just noticed for the first time that its rapid fire at 24 inch range. ive always tried to get with in 12 inch range. i guess its not my fault thats just what someone told me about the gun. thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts