Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen many rumours from reliable sources (Atia, Hastings) about new chaos Knights (possibly new swords of chaos?) to follow from the release of archaon.
There's a picture floating about which I regrettably can't find ATM, that shows te nose and hooves of some kid of chaotic armoured monster. It's head looks reptilian, and its size is comparable to a demigryph/dracoth.
Thought it was worth a mention!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Those to the side of Archaon are blight kings and blood warriors painted black. No pics of the knights have been seen yet

No, there is some kind of mount in the far left. As said in the OP you can see a reptilian snout and the front Legs behind the blight kings. Looks not to far from the dracoth.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here we are lads, each knight the size of the Dracoth Lord from the starter box. Weighing in at a whopping £60 for three, what a box though.
If tear things are literally that stat line of a character each, then I have no quibbles here. If I need six for ten tk function, GW can get stuffed though. Love the sculpts anyway!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
The Varanguard are awesome, no doubt about that. And the first new Chaos unit whose name isn't cheesy as hell or very unimaginative.

Price though... pain. Really the question is would I rather have a box of Bloodletters, a box of Horrors and two boxes of Slaaneshi Seekers, or a single box of Varanguard. Hard call.

LotN

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'd not get that many boxes for the price of these, all that lot is surely at least £10 more?
Anyway, I love these models. And I feel that it's hard to compare these to a kit like blood letters. Bog standard infantry, that lack any individual personality. Which is fine for what they are and what they do.

These guys however, each is a multi part plastic character with a shiz load of options for modelling, and buckets of characterful menace and detail to boot.

Would you buy a single pose finecast mounted chaos Lord for £30?
Is that a superior kit opposed to one of these boys for £20?

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
You'd not get that many boxes for the price of these, all that lot is surely at least £10 more?

Would you buy a single pose finecast mounted chaos Lord for £30? Is that a superior kit opposed to one of these boys for £20?
Well I pay third party prices, so the Varanguard will cost me £45 while the assorted Daemons would cost £53. So for eight more pound I get far more figures. Really it's the question of would I rather have a smaller army with more impressive figures, or a larger army which in a different way is impressive.

I was actually making that point early by comparing them to the Lord Celestant on Dracoth kit. That would probably go for about £20, ideally, and thus three of them would cost three times that. The Varanguard's price is understandable, that said I think £50 would be a better price for them.

Really it just depends on what I decide I want my WoC army to be. Archaon is already guaranteed a place, so my conumdrum is would I rather have three of his elite champions or would I rather have around thirty Daemons in his wake?

LotN

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
And they're up. Not hugely impressed. I know the whole universe has moved on, but the AoS chaos minis are to me just way over the top with the spikes and skulls. The older ranges, like the marauders and chaos warriors and knights got the message across without having to stick a skull, spike or icon on everything.

Not to mention the price for a box of three minis.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-IE/Varanguard-Knights-of-Ruin

·
Closet Dictator
3,436 Posts
They have in my opinion just done what they did with the Dark Angels and Blood Angels, which is just slap as many relevent icons on as possible to every square centimetre of the mini, to me this is lazy design and making the minis a paradoy of what they are, those models actually hurt my eyes and lack the sinister menacing look of their previous incarnations, and for €80 quid for three models, no way do I think you are getting value for money

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I like the look, the price is a bit cringe-worthy though.

I thought the old Chaos Knight plastic kit was one of the coolest kits GW had, and it was what, $35 USD?

but, I hate whining about prices so enough of that from me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts