Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now then, I am aware that MSU is not a new idea, I am also aware that MSU Lizardmen is also not a new idea but whenever I see it done the majority is always with the Skinks.

However I was thinking of the 'key' concepts of the MSU playstyle which are in my opinion as follows

1. Keep your units cheap (less than 200 is best, 200 is pushing it), you don't want your enemy to be able to target a specific unit to get huge Victory Points
  2. Don't spend points on unnessecary upgrades - unit champions often fall under this point in MSU
  3. You want to keep your characters cheap as well, often no more than a unit unless you can really justify their cost
  4. You want around 15 unit drops minimum
  5. Synergy is key

So here is my first draft:

Total Roster Cost: 2389

Slann Mage-Priest - 375 pts
Level 4, Lore of High Magic, Focus of Mystery, Battle Standard Bearer, Standard of Discipline

Saurus Scar-Veteran - 100 pts
Light Armour, Shield, Biting Blade

Saurus Scar-Veteran - 100 pts
Great Weapon, Light Armour, Dragonhelm

Skink Priest - 90 pts
Level 1, Lore of Heavens, Dispel Scroll

Skink Priest - 95 pts
Level 1, Lore of Heavens, Cube of Darkness

17 Saurus Warriors - 207 pts
Musician, Standard Bearer

17 Saurus Warriors - 207 pts

10 Skink Skirmishers - 70 pts
Javelin & Shield

Javelin & Shield

Blowpipes

20 Temple Guard - 335 pts
Full Command, Jaguar Standard

Bastiladon - 150 pts
Solar Engine

Bastiladon - 150 pts
Solar Engine

5 Chameleon Skinks - 65 pts

5 Chameleon Skinks - 65 pts

3 Ripperdactyl Riders - 120 pts

3 Ripperdactyl Riders - 120 pts

As you can probably tell I have broken a few of these guidelines, but for (what I feel is a good reason)

The First thing is the Slann, he is the most expensive thing in the list and a single model. However being a Lizardman army it offers an amazing amount of synergy to the list through the Lore of High Magic. The lore itself has pretty much everything that I could want in a lore, buffs, debuffs, direct damage and my favourite a movement spell! Plus using Skink Priests the Slann can change the position to cast direct damage spells (mwahaha)

The second thing is the Temple Guard who when joined by the Slann are stubborn, not really a great deal more to say about the unit apart from it is a very expensive bunker, which if I decide are too much of a anchor will be the first thing to be dropped.

Now the rest of the list

Saurus & Scar Vets - the workhorses of the list, they are here to put an insane amount of damage for their unit size with thanks to the Predatory Fighter special rule the Scar Vets to increase the amount of attacks and damage that the unit can throw out in a turn.

Skinks, Camo Skinks & Skink Priests - Poisoned attacks at close range as well as a place for me to hide my Skink Priests who will be used as a 'node' to cast direct damage from as well as be able to throw out Iceshard Blizzard to really mess with my opponents shooting.

Bastiladon - Taken for the Beam of Chotec direct damage spell as well as being hopefully able to hold up a unit in combat for a little while.

Ripperdactyl Riders - My fast cavalry and harassment troops, hopefully will also be able to do damage to small elite infantry units with armour piercing and stomp attacks.

Hopefully should be able to get some good ideas from the community and look forwards to hearing your thoughts, I hope to be able to test the list over vassal

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re-visit time.... more speed and hitting power needed

Total Roster Cost: 2399

Slann Mage-Priest - 360 pts
Battle Standard Bearer, Focus of Mystery

Saurus Scar-Veteran - 115 pts
Cold One, Great Weapon, Light Armour, Dragonbane Gem

Saurus Scar-Veteran - 113 pts
Cold One, Halberd, Light Armour, Charmed Shield

Skink Priest - 90 pts
Lore of Beasts, Dispel Scroll

Skink Priest - 95 pts
Lore of Heavens, Cube of Darkness

24 Saurus Warriors - 284 pts

10 Saurus Warriors - 120 pts
Musician

10 Saurus Warriors - 120 pts
Musician

14 Temple Guard - 231 pts
Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Swiftness

7 Chameleon Skinks - 91 pts

5 Cold One Riders - 170 pts
Spear

5 Cold One Riders - 170 pts
Spear

Bastiladon - 150 pts
Solar Engine

Bastiladon - 150 pts
Solar Engine

·
Registered
136 Posts
There doesn't seem to be a lot of activity on this part of the forum.

Was hoping to stir up some debate around your list (s)

As I was probably going to do something similiar.

Why have you dropped the ripperdactyls? They seem strong for their points cost. A load of killing blow reroll to hit attacks on the target of their toad marker. Also able to fly so hopefully durable if they can avoid stuff. Maybe only issue is frenzy?

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WHFB seems to be getting less forum activity of late everywhere.

I dropped the Rippers mainly due to a lack of targets against the majority of players that I face, they were included to tackle fast cavalry or small elite units (sword masters, empire detachments etc) however my skinks quickly clear chaff with poisoned shooting and I just dont see small support units. Frenzy wasn't an issue simply lack of viable targets

1 - 4 of 4 Posts