Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting back into Warhammer though I never really "started" playing an army of mine. I've narrowed it down to three choices: space marines, chaos space marines, or Necrons. I am more leaning toward chaos and then Necrons followed by sm.

Originally I wanted to make a berzerker army but felt that only being good at one thing maybe not the best option. I guess you can say I'm a little perfectionist where I try to get the best I possibly can have. I'm not an extremely competitive person or a sore loser but I do like knowing I have the best for what I need.

So I was wondering what you guys thought about having plague marines or other chaos forces in combo with Berzerkers, yes I realize this can't be a world eaters army. I'll justify it by making my own warbands and saying they don't really worship chaos much at all, rather see it as a tool to be used. So they don't worship any one specific God, just use whatever is most useful to their needs.

But what are your thoughts? I might make chaos my dedicated cc army if I later plan on getting sm or Necrons. But would it help or hinder me to maybe take away Berzerkers and add other units for more balance rather than sheer melee force. I know this is a very open question and there is no best army but I'm very new to this and don't even have the up to date codecies.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Far as winning is concerned, I don't think you could go wrong with Death Guard with Imperial Guard allies. Plague marines are your objective holders / tar pits, IG ordnance does your mass killing.

[Edit] Laying down pie plates and watching hordes evaporate is fun as hell, but not for your opponent. Just thought I'd mention that bit.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Beserkers actually aren't as good as Khorne-marked Space marines in close combat. Khorne bikes are fairly impressive, and Death Guard really are amazing objective holders.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I'll justify it by making my own warbands and saying they don't really worship chaos much at all, rather see it as a tool to be used. So they don't worship any one specific God, just use whatever is most useful to their needs.
Sounds like you could go with Night Lords. They aren't really chaos marines as such, more renegades following their own agendas. They do however use chaos when they feel it necessary, and some individuals fall into worship of particular gods. Their paint scheme is also one of the best out there.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually don't like Night Lords at all. Least favorite traitor legion lol

Xabre, are you sure? every thread ive read (not exclusive to this forum) says otherwise...

I just need to know if it would be better to have a more balanced out army or just go all out with my initial idea and use my berzerkers warband. Want to get the best bangfor my buck, so to speak.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I actually don't like Night Lords at all. Least favorite traitor legion lol

Xabre, are you sure? every thread ive read (not exclusive to this forum) says otherwise...
Are you sure that your not reading posts from pre 6th ed and the new CSM codex. As they were one of the CC staples in the 5th edition, with the old codex.

But all I can say in regards to choosing an army if your leaning towards CSM (good choice, I myself play Iron Warriors,amongst DA.) Is get the Dark Vengeance set as you get the mini's the rulebook and templates so you can paint up the chaos 1/2 and sell the DA 1/2 or get a friend who plays DA get a set each, swapping the CSM for DA.

Hopes this helps, SoI

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I'd say a Berzerker army is perfectly do-able, since Khorne is the god of battle, blood and has the whole fire thing going on (with Hellblades being really hot, Khorne's realm being like traditional images of Hell and the general satanic theme); you can take two or three Heldrakes with Baleflamers which make your army semi-competitive no matter whatever else you include. I'd go for a Chaos Lord on Juggernaught with Axe of Blind Fury, 30/40 Berzerkers in 3/4 squads, Havocs with Autocannons or Missile Launchers, 2 or 3 Heldrakes, and then Cultists with CCWs.

If you want Havocs and CSM in the army, say your army is the Blood Legion of Khorne. They're exactly the same colour scheme, had a Khorne Lord with Daemon Weapon (Axe of Blind Fury...), but ran CSM and Raptors with a small contingent of Berzerkers rather than relying on them. They're in Dawn of War: Winter Assault if you want more info.

Midnight

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I think it's important to point out that Khorne is the god of war/battle, not the god of punches. Shooting is a part of war, and therefore shooting is a part of Khorne's philosophy.

From a fluff perspective, it's perfectly "acceptable" (although the only person who' opinion you should care about on this topic is YOURS) to include shooting units in a Khorne army, despite GW's insistence on making every Khorne unit about "Rawr punches". You might want to consider some regular CSM backed up by a couple of berserker squads, and then rounded out with heavy support in the form of obliterators/havocs. I don't think this will be top tier competative, but it is certainly capable of holding its own against any typical casual LGS style list.

Of course, if you want to go competitive, just buy a couple of heldrakes :p

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Bezerkers are not a competitive choice with the 6th ed codex (and not really with 6th ed rules in general)

I second/more'd the idea of using a couple Khorne marked CSM (however i suggest getting squads of 20) backed up by some filler cultist squads to block charges and such.

and pending how else you want to utilize the rest of your points, 2 min sized plague squads with 2 special weapons (i go with plasma, with the sarg getting a PF & Melta bombs if wanted/applicable) in rhinos to claim/hold OBJs as needed.

now this set up is practically using up all of your troop slots 1-2 20man CSM squad, 2-3 cultists, 2 Plague squads

add in whatever else you want (bikes/drakes/raptors/havocs/terminators/etc) and you have a pretty balanced and effective while staying "friendly".

this list is not really designed for competitive play at any stretch FYI. so if you are planning on pwning anyone, besides new players i would not expect it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts