Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a little bit tired of painting black models. Black templars, Black sisters, boring. It doesn't help that both of them are black, white and red. I started doing red on the BT bolters long before I decided I'd mix SoBs in to the mix.

So just for the hell of it, I decided to finish the quartet of Chaos Daemons armies in my group. We now have one of each flavour!

I've just been going over the Daemonette stats, and they appear to be truly terrifying. A squad of 20 that charges gets 80 attacks. That's hilarious.
Genestealers vs Daemonettes seems like a very funny (and bloody (and quick)) fight.
What I'm wondering it how often a toughness of 7 shows up for them to be unable to do anything?

Other than that, my plan is basically:
Keeper of Secrets,
Masque
Herald

2x 20 Daemonettes. (one with Masque, the other a herald)

And probably some beasts of Slaanesh and a daemon prince. Note sure about Seekers. whats the point of fast attack if I'm just DSing in anyway? Its going to be weak against tanks, which I'll have to work on...

·
Registered
324 Posts
get lots of fiends. As in, 18 of them. Right now. no, 5 minutes ago.

daemonettes can be pretty nasty but they are also barely more survivable than guardsmen. You want speed even though you're deepstriking because you have no way of doing secure deepstriking like drop pods can, and you definitely want to be in combat turn 2, so having a 19-24 assault range gives you more possibilities for deep striking with less risk. Also, since your troops are squishy you want your first wave to tie up as many problem units as possible as fast as possible, so when the second half of your army arrives bit by bit it doesn't get shot to death.

The masque is kinda crappy; sure pavane looks nice, until you realize that it's just a gimpy lash of submission and everyone is sitting inside their transports (which you'll already have a bitch of a time to break). go for heralds in chariots instead. They are like souped up fiends and will add more of a speed element. I'd recommend going with 4 heralds rather than a KoS, since that is more point efficient, but the KoS can be nice. Give them all Soporiphic musk so you can hit and run around the table. 3d6 and then 19 inches next turn will get you pretty far, and means you can hide in combat more (which you need desperately)

Slaanesh princes aren't so hot, mainly because they aren't very survivable (the 2 most common choices for DPs are nurgle if it's CC or tzeentch if it's shooty). As you can see, both of those increase their survivability, since T5 with a 5+ is not that hot. If you do take them anyway though, give them armour and no wings (since the rest of your army will be super fast anyway)

ok, that's all, sorry I went a bit in a different direction, but hopefully it can help you make an army that you'll enjoy

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Having new directions is a good thing. I'm not really used to anything in the army, and only really started reading the rules yesterday. I like the masque, which means I'm likely to use her (I tend to go for what I like over power) - I'll have her in my second DS lot. That way, 2/3 fights, the squishies will be out of transports for me to pavane.

Okay, Fiends seem like a very nice way to spend 570 points.

DPs not being viable doesn't bother me too much. I was never set on having them.

I'm sadly likely to stick by my old HQs, but I may drop the KoS. I do like having a solid 'leader' unit, though. The Masque doesn't cover a leader role and I like her more than a herald...

re. heralds. What's a Chariot? I haven't seen a model for it If its a mod job, then I'm, very much unlikely to go for it, as the CD army isn't a priority monetarily...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the other hand, Heralds may be an easy alternate list for me. I can have the list that feels fun, and then every now and then field a herald heavy list. It's not like the heralds have anything in particular to represent them... And in saying that, should I represent them any differently?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Something you should know regarding the Masque is that she lacking the Independent Character rule. Thus shes not allowed to join units.
This means that she is a single unit model that always can be shot if she is within LoS. Dont expect her to survive very long.

Chariots are, just like their medieval counterparts, a steed+wagon+rider contraption and will require conversions yes, as there are no models for them.

Regarding how to represent the Heralds: Just make it obvious that they are "more" then a normal Daemonette. Thats about all you need to do with them :)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
You want fiends. Fiends are absolutely amazing. The models are expensive though, so I'd just convert them out of either chaos spawn, or seekers.

Daemonettes are iffy. They're not quite good, tough, or strong enough to warrant their points. Seekers are a lot better.

Heralds are good as long as you give them a chariot/musk/unholy strength, but not really worth it any other way.

The keeper of secrets is AMAZING! Just be sure to give him musk, so he can jump from enemy unit to enemy unit as he pleases.

If you want all Slaanesh, then use a few units of 15-20 daemonettes, plenty of fiends, daemon princes of slaanesh (ironhide, pavane), a herald if you like, and a keeper of secrets.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I say Daemonsttes are worth taking. Unfortunatly Nothing save PBs hold Objectives well. I would just get some Zombies or Crypt Gouls and use them undead cultist (PBs) of Slannesh to hold Objectives.

2 squads of 10 Daemonetts to charge. 2 KoS for Mech/ICs/MCs. Then just add nothing but Fiends, Fiends, and more Fiends with Unholy Might. It helps. Then Pin Ball your way to victory. Mech will still be hard to beat and 2 KoS isnt enough, so add in DPs for HS. 5 2D6 MCs on rear armore will wreck about anything.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome. Thanks for all of the feedback. Probably this weekend I'll go through everything in the thread and work out what my list (and alt. lists) will be.

I'll definitely have at least an alt. list with a Masque, as I want to paint one.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Problem. PROBLEM!

The Masque doesn't have the Independant Character rule, meaning you can't hide in squads.

2 wounds at T3 means she'll just end up getting shot to ribbons. Replace with a Herald.

·
Registered
592 Posts
For an all-slaaneshi list, I think you may want to look into Seekers. Same threat range as the Fiends, but they have grenades. They are daemonettes with a long charge range, being able to get into the likes of Long Fangs etc quite quickly, while you'd have to DS your 'nettes closer.

Other than that, what everyone else is saying makes perfect sense. Load up on fiends, heralds on chariots (you can use Tomb Kings chariots for an easy conversion, that's what I did for my Tzeentchian heralds.) etc etc.

If you run with princes, don't use wings and have Pavane instead. With BS5 you won't miss as much, and it allows the prince the extra movement like Wings etc. Musk is also a must for heralds and princes, if you run them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm currently looking at High Elf chariots for the chariot conversion, as I just like the look of them a bit more. Any thoughts on that?

Also, how do I base that? Three bases (two mounts, chariot), or one big one? Will it just be a dread sized base?

As I haven't seen the Seeker models yet, are the backs bare, or is there a slot for the daemonette to fit into that I'll need to putty over?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts