Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around because I want to have two armies so I might be able to have relatives and such pick up the game with me. I'm pretty sure I am going to start an Ork army but I have no idea where to start.

Basically what I am getting at is: What is the first thing I should get to start an ork army?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
boyz...lots and lots and lots and lots of boyz then after that get some more boyz and a Warboss

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Well first things first get the codex and read it.

Next look through Culler's Ork Tactica thread. This will give you a run down of the ork units as far as game play.

This will help you develope a theme for your army. Footsloogers, mechanized or a combination of the two. I have found that making a list at a certain point range helps me decide what to purchase.

The first things to purchase would be a warboss or big mek and two troops chioces since you need those for any army you create.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
Always the Codex as has been said by others.

The Assault on Black Reach box set is a good value for money buy, as it contains all the troops and command you need for a basic starter army as well as some Nobs and DeffKoptas.
(You also get some pesky Marines and a Dreadnought in the box but as you play them they may be of use. :) )

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody... Ya I just ordered a Black Reach set mainly for my marines but it was just a bonus to come with Orks. I want to thank everybody... I'll probably be getting the codex soon and I'll probably go for a mech army... anyways thanks and I will keep everyone posted

·
Registered
23 Posts
And the next thing is a couple of trucks. Mobility is good for orks. You can strike first as you move a half move of 12 or 13 inches, disembark and assault, giving you the plus one on initiative and strength. James

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Lets see, you could go for a Nob-Battlewagon spam, Loota-Battlewagon spam (or a combination of these two), Nob Biker spam, and the "see you tomorrow"-type of green tide of choppy Boyz. These are the competitive lists. Fun lists can be pretty much anything that doesn't have an overdose of these because these units, with a bit of luck (looking at you, Lootaz) can win the game for you, unless your opponent has a dedicated countermeasure to said unit.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The above posters are correct. I just want to add that if you want to go mechanized, then you really need a KFF. It gives all your vehicles within range a 4+ cover save, which is pretty incredible, especially for battlewagons.

Also, don't forget to have at least one unit of grots or shoota boyz on foot, for claiming objectives in/near your own deployment zone.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Everybody has pretty much said what needs to be said. So we'll wait on you getting the Codex and choosing the type of army your looking for, then maybe we can throw a few idea's in with your own as to what to populate said list with.

I pesonally would recommend a Mechanised List:
Battlewagons loaded with Lootaz, Burnaz and MegaNobz, A Trukk or two with boyz and Gretchins in for Objectives. Definitely need a BigMek w/KFF. A Cybork/MegaArmor Warboss is a good choice too. I personally use Ghazghkull Thraka and a BigMek w/KFF.
Welcome to the WAAAGH!!!
Good Luck

SGMAlice

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Everybody!... and hopefully I will have the codex soon. Unfortunately I only have so much money (being 16 and jobless after all) but hopefully I will have one soon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some others may frown, but I would suggest downloading my paper waagh set from this link here.

With some scissors, and some glue, and 110lb cardstock you'll be able to proxy out your army and test a variety of layouts until you find out what you need. Then you can slowly replace proxies as needed/wanted to fill in your eventual troops choices.

This link has pictures so you have some idea of what the proxies look like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts