Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of making a entirely new army from scratch and I would like some input or ideas.
The basis of the army is a mixture of advanced alchemy, necromancy and summoning.

This is a 40k army. I find it odd that just because time has advanced the age old creatures and techniques have vanished. So here we go, Time to bring 'em back from the dead. (pun intended)
There will be standard troops, however specialized troops such as constructs or re-animated creatures will only be able to be selected if a corresponding HQ is chosen. For example there is a unit in the works of a skeletal troop that is effectively a shield wall. The skeletal troop can only be chosen if one of the HQs is a necromancer.

My girlfriend is a fan of vampires so I'm making them a big part of the army so she'll have a bit more fun playing it.

anyway heres what I have for a rough draft for the categories.
alchemy - golems, chemical-like grenades, summoned demons (gotta use my minis some how), obscure life forms (kinda like chaos spawn)

Necromancy - Skeletal troops, undead beasts, crippling diseases, the ability to resurrect slain units as a different unit.

Vampires - stealth units, minor wound leeching, fast melee units, ranged units. decent WS and S but not so good T and W.

Thats my rough idea, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heres what I have drawn up for some HQ choices. They come with the option of a retinue but I haven't fully statted those out yet.

Cazic Nubal Cost: 140 points
Unit type: Infantry (Vampire)
Number/Squad: Unique
WS BS S T W I A LD SV
7 0 5 4 3 5 4 8(10) 5+/6+
Equipment: Rune etched mail
Special rules: Children of the night, Thrill of the hunt, Devour essence, Independent character
May come with a retinue of up to 4 shadow wolves for 35 points per model.

Kobiyashi Cost: 120 points
Unit type: Infantry (necromancer)
Number/Squad: Unique
WS BS S T W I A LD SV
3 5 3 4 2 3 1 10 6+
Equipment: Rune etched cloak, Grave-skull sigil
Special rules: Aura of undeath, Spell caster
May come with a retinue of up to 6 Bone-shard walkers for 40 points per model.
Spells: Shade's tendrils

and heres what all that means:

Undead - counts as normal infantry for all purposes. (its just for certain mechanics)
Necromancer -a psyker with an affinity for the undead. Raises and controls said undead.
Vampire - counts as undead. (once again, for certain mechanics)

Rune etched mail - grants a 5+ armor save and a 6+ invul save.
Rune etched cloak - grants a 6+ invul save.
Grave-skull sigil - a non-undead model equipped with this counts as undead.

Devour essence - For every model this character slays in close combat roll a D6. For every 6 rolled, add 1 wound to the character with this special rule. This cannot bring the character's max wounds past 5.
Children of the night - All friendly vampire units gain +2 to their LD.
Thrill of the hunt - when a model with this special rule assaults a unit with at least 1 wounded model, it's assault range is 12" instead of the normal 6". If a model with this ability joins a unit that is without the rule, the model looses the special rule until it leaves the unit.
Aura of undeath - All friendly undead within 6" of the character with this special rule gain Regeneration and ignore the Slow and purposeful special rule if they have it. The Character counts as being within 6" of itself.
Spell caster - The model with this special rule counts as a psyker.

Shade's tendrils - This is a psychic shooting attack with a range of 24". If the target unit gets hit hit place a large blast template over the center of the unit. All models under the template (friendly and otherwise) take a strength 4 hit that ignores armor saves. This does not effect units in transports.

Well here you have it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm guessing by vc you mean vampire counts?
The fluff is still in early stages, but its going to end up (hopefully) as a mixture of chaos, tomb kings, vampire counts, necrons, and what ever else manages to crawl its way out of my head.

I just looked in the vampire count's codex for the first time, and I must say I feel cheap. -_-
No matter, the horrors must go on!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well the Shadow wolves and Bone-shard walkers are done so here they are. The walkers were based off of the Plaguebearers except they have a higher armor save and toughness. I figured the 1 point higher T was worth an extra 10 points and the armor save was worth at least 15 points.

Fast attack
Shadow wolves Cost: 35 points
Unit type: Beast (undead)
Number/Squad: 3-10
WS BS S T W I A LD SV
5 0 4 3 2 6 2 8 5+(invul)
Special rules: May only be taken if one of the HQ choices selected are either a vampire or necromancer. Attacks from Shadow wolves ignore armor saves.

Troops
Bone-shard walkers Cost: 40 points
Unit type: infantry (undead)
Number/Squad: 1-10
WS BS S T W I A LD SV
3 0 4 6 3 2 1 6 3+
Special rules: Slow and purposeful, Feel no pain, may only be taken if one of the HQ choices selected is a necromancer. If a unit of Bone-shard walkers is not within 12" of a necromancer at the end of a turn a model in the unit takes 1 wound with no saves allowed.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Okay, after some down time heres the next batch up for the criticism.

Troops
skeletons Cost: 6 points
Unit type: infantry (undead)
Number/Squad: 10 - 30
WS BS S T W I A LD SV
4 0 4 3 1 2 1 7 -
Special rules: May only be taken if one of the HQ choices selected is a necromancer.
"The Unfeeling"
Whenever a Skeleton takes a wound in close combat Roll a Dice on the Roll of a 6+ ignore the wound. This effect cannot be used against power weapons, weapons that cause instant death, or weapons that do not allow armor saves.
Note: this save may be used after any other form of save. (IE Cover save armor save or Invulnerable saves may be taken before this save if appllicable)

night stalkers Cost: 15 points
Unit type: infantry (Vampire)
Number/Squad: 5 - 20
WS BS S T W I A LD SV
4 4 4 3 1 6 1 7 6+
Equipment: Cross star launcher
Special rules: Blending, May only be taken if one of the HQ choices is a vampire.

Techrat Cost: 10 points
Unit type: Beast (Construct)
Number/Squad: 5 - 20
WS BS S T W I A LD SV
3 0 3 3 1 6 2 10 4+
Special rules: Deep strike, Blending, May only be taken if one of the HQ choices is a Technomancer or an Alchemist.

Elites
Stalking skeleton Cost: 25 points
Unit type: infantry (Undead)
Number/Squad: 3 - 10
WS BS S T W I A LD SV
5 0 4 3 2 5 3+1 10 5+
Equipment: Dusk blades (attack included in profile)
Special rules: Blending, Deep strike, May only be taken if one of the HQ choices is a necromancer.

And what it means:
Construct - counts as normal infantry for all purposes. (its just for certain mechanics)
Blending - Gets a +1 to their cover save while in terrain. While in C.C. this bonus is negated.
Cross star launcher - ranged weapon. Range:18" AP:4 Str:4 Type:assault 2
Technomancer - A character specializing in constructs and improves their performance.
Alchemist - A character specializing in aberrations and biological weapons.
Dusk blades - A pair of close combat weapons, allows for a re-roll on a to hit of 1.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The reason why there are no age old monsters and things like necromancy have died out is because GW has stated that Warhammer and Warhammer 40k are separate entities. The only army that GW has allowed to transverse both realms are the Chaos Demons army which apparently doesn't change no matter what universe you are in.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Here's a general concept idea for fluff.

A rift in the warp appears on an Imperial world, and armies of Daemons of Nurgle pour out of it and start doing their thing. The planet's Imperial Guard can't handle it, and send out a general distress signal. Two patrols patrols are nearby and respond, one Blood Angels (or some splinter Chapter, possibly one that's more into the whole blood drinking aspect) and one Space Wolves, and both come to save the planet.

Unfortunately, the Warp rift isn't closing. It just keeps getting bigger and bigger. As the two Space Marine forces work together to stop the daemonic incursion, the Warp energies begin to corrupt them, causing the flaws in their geneseeds to be more pronounced, ultimately consuming them entirely. Every Blood Angel experiences the Red Thirst in a strange, Chaos-induced way that allows them to still function mentally while still consumed by their desire for human blood. Meanwhile, every Space Wolf feels their canine nature take hold, transforming them beyond mere Wulfen.

Eventually the daemons are beaten back, but the planet is lost. Its would-be rescuers have become monsters, and most of its population has fallen to one of Nurgle's zombie plagues. And due to their tainted nature, the zombies bend to the will of these monster marines....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bloodcuddler, I like it, I like it alot. Thank you.
This will definitely be the boost I need to get going on the fluffier aspects.
Granted, now I need to re-work certain aspects like equipment and special rulings, but I think this will do very nicely.
Anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So what I have so far is as follows:
Tysalis (tie-sal-iss)
There is a planet on the fringe of explored space. The planet was covered in barren rocky patches and patches of choked overgrown vegetation. Upon discovery of the planet, the adeptus mechanicus sent down a team of servitors to survey the planet.
It appeared to have been an Ork populated planet at one time or another. However there were no traces of any living Orks. All that was found was pockmarked bones and corroded husks of Orky dwellings.
Having decided that there was no immediate threat, the adeptus mechanicus contacted the nearest imperial world and informed them terraformation was safe.

This planet was terraformed to be the focal point for further exploration. As such, It had a fairly well established population and space port. Fast forward 100 years. A squad of space wolves are fighting the traitor legions on a nearby planet and several squads of blood angels are on route to assist the wolves in their assault. After several long and hard won battles, the marines landed on Tysalis.

Unfortunately shortly after landing upon Tysalis, chaos made a push back to reclaim the sector. Sacrificing wave upon wave of cultists upon the planet's defenses, the forces of chaos opened a massive warp rift the size of the planet. Within hours of opening, the rift had completely devoured the planet. Moments after devouring the planet the rift vanished.

Upon the loss of Tysalis the imperium created a new exploratory planet.
Fast forward 1000 years. every planet in the same sector as where Tysalis was has suddenly gone dead. Before going dark each planet reported being attacked by hordes of the dead and odd mutated marines.

So, what do you think?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sounds interesting to me, although I'd increase the time between events and such (make the space wolf/blood angel fight happen somewhere more like 100 years after the terraforming, and the sector go dead more like 500+ years after) just because it seems like in 40k if something didn't happen at least a century ago in relative terms it might as well have happened yesterday.

As for why the sector goes dead, you could do something like Aurelia in DoW 2. If you're not familiar with that, the basic premise is that the planet was once the capital of the sector, but a warp rift appeared, sucked the planet into the warp, and disappeared. However many years later (I think 1,000 but I can't quite remember) the planet as suddenly reemerged from the Warp, with all sorts of Chaosy goodness along with it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
My fluff is quite rusty, but I did remember something about a planet being swallowed by the warp and re-appearing later. I think it was near the eye but I cant remember. (tyranids are my area)
I had kept the timeline short because I honestly couldn't recall if both marine factions were around at roughly the same time. Nothing would look worse (in my opinion anyway) than having an army go to war years before it existed. -_-

*edit* I have been up for the last 21-ish hours without sleep so forgive me if my sentences don't quite make sense.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Both the Blood Angels and the Space Wolves are original Legions, so they've both been around for as long as there have been Space Marines. In fact the Black Templars are the only chapter to get a codex that wasn't.

Now, the Blood Angels have some splinter chapters, some of which are probably more likely to become more vampire-like than others, so looking them up might be prudent. Keeping them as Blood Angels is still safe, though. Space Wolves don't have any real active splinter chapters, at least not loyal ones. They made one to shut Big Blue up, but it's since been dissolved.

Also a little note... in my example I went with a Nurgle Daemon infestation because Nurgle actually does have a zombie plague that has been used in canonical fluff, though I'm a little hazy on the details.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its an ability that can be used in apoc games. I have it laying around somewhere but I just got home from work and i'm too tired to find it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I cant remember where I found that one. I think I have a couple more saved if you want them. They're not just for chaos though. I have them for a couple of different things.

- thread has not derailed, still fine tuning the fluff section -

·
Registered
188 Posts
You know man I have always liked an army of undead in 40k. In the old Rogue Trader Days there were ideas of that kinda stuff. They were alive and well....

Toward the end of the old Rogue Trader book there were mission ideas. One was that a marine ship was taken over by a vampire and the player must retake the ship. Granted the old book was a twist of role play and mini battle but the element is there.

pay no attention to people who tell you that you can do or play something. This game was invented and for scratch builders with imagination. Something that the current evolutions struggle with.

Anyone remember the Squats? Dwarfs are old world old school... so were the Jerico... Choas is magic... go ask the Thousand Sons.

Create on man! have a lot of fun inventing!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the inspiration. Nice to know i'm not alone in my thoughts.

1 - 20 of 213 Posts