Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this army was more what i felt like painting and converting but it doesnt work to badly on the table but any views on units and weapons combos would be helpfull
chaos lord mark of tze warrior familiar and staff of change
14 chosen of tze full comd shield and blasted standard

asp champ tze battle std banner of wrath
asp champ sword of battle helm of many eyes
13 warriors of tze full comd shield

lvl2 sorcerer spell fam dispel scroll biting blade
19 marauders full comd shield lt arm

asp champ sword of might dispel
19 marauders flail

mutant monstrosity

2 spawn
asp champ gaze of gods scimitar of scultar chariot

10 horrors of tze
i know chaos knights would be good but they cost to much i also have 2 more spawn and another giant but only need 3k any tweaks to the list??

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
your list layout doesn't make much sense seperate everything into there force organisation slots e.g.

lords
heroes
core
special
rare

this will make it easyier to understand

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry its set out so the characters are in the units they are with
the chaos lord is the only lord
heros
asp champ with std,asp champ in chariot,sorcerer,and 2 asp champs
core
14 chosen of tzeentch
13 chaos warriors tze
2x19 marauders 1 w flail 1 w handwep shield and lt arm
special
horrors
rare 2 spawn
mutant monstrosity

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
loose the horrors thay are terrible in more than one way. what exactly are the characters armed with? apart from that it all seems ok to me

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the characters are armed as in the first post, ive just finished a game against skaven and will use the horrors for summoning with indigo fire as i had nowhere near enough for that game and it seemed a waste and i'll use the other 2 spawn instead as they were brilliant against the low strength rats the army performed fairly well on the whole but i think i need to tweak the magic a bit as the characters are not really geared to either magic or combat but a bit of both any ideas

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
You'll need to rearm a lot of the characters. Just because they can cast spells doesn't mean they can take Arcane items-- only Sorcerers have access to Arcane items, which are different from models able to cast spells because they have the Mark of Tzeentch.

I'd try to make full ranks where possible-- for example, the unit of 13 Warriors should probably be 14 strong and lead by a Champion (I'm assuming the other 14-strong Chosen unit is lead by the Lord)

You really need some cavalry in there somewhere. The army is SLOW. You'll end up outmaneuvered and outnumbered like that. Marauder horsemen are inexpensive and can solve the problem of guarding flanks. Another alternative are Furies or Screamers-- both Fly, so they're quick too, and can go war machine hunting pretty easily.

With the horrors, I'd see about adding some flamers. Flamers are mean bastards, and a
"Flamer Chain" can make it extremely difficult to engage the unit of Horrors in close combat (by stacking Flamers one more or less behind the other in front of the unit, and making any attackers fight the Flamers one at a time...)

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the tips on the fast cavalry i've been meaning to make some marauder horsemen to screen the chariot(just got to work out how to put the flaggellant models on horses)and they could replace the deamons, one small thing if the mark of tzeench doesnt give you access to the arcane items how could anyone use the staff of change? it says in the rules that the mark of tzeench makes you a level 2/4 sorcerer not that you can just cast spells. and as to the full ranks both warriors are 15 strong on the battle field the chosen have the lord and the normal warriors have the standard and another asp champ over kill i know but i ran out of warriors and wanted to convert another character( the army started out as a modeling project rather than an army list i just adapted it make it game legal

·
Registered
18 Posts
Youre right about Tzeentch mark and arcane items, when you upgrade the lord and heroes to caster, they can now take arcane items just like any other sorcerer.

I prefer keeping most of my chaos warriors at home these days, theyre too easy to kill for their points, too slow and by the time I finally get to combat, I have almost no static CR left.

I 'm always using marauders instead of warriors now, fast cav, a unit of 5-6 chaos knights (even if its just for keeping a flank, they put fear in the enemy's head :) ) and I always field 6-8 furie and 3-5 screamers. Both are great to kill war machines, lone characters, shooting units and also act as a shield for your other most vulnerable units (like your warriors). If you really want those warriors, I would only take 1 unit, you will have a lot of points left to put elsewhere.

I love horrors, and like Son of Horus said, Flamers chain is quite useful, even to protect something else than your horrors. And its one of your only shooting unit, so use it well. I usually put 15 or more horrors though, to make him throw 2 dispel dice when he dont want their spell to go through.

A floating disc can be useful too, if you can manage to fly around him and he got no shooting, i would remove the warrior familiar and put the Golden eye of tzeentch if you choose that path. Pretty nice save for you and your disc.

I also put a beast herd for meat shield and charge redirection, but it really depends on your tactic and if you have or want this type of unit.

Hope this help.

Poltron

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
i think with chaos many player neglect the cheap but ever so useful fast cav units like maurader horsemen, and chaos hounds and also furies. All of which i think add great flexibilty to a force that is primarily expensive.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
jigplums has a point hounds rock so do maruder horsemen good units to draw enemy units close then flee so you can charge them with a better unit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts