Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What with the new edition being released, I thought I'd better update my chaos list. So before I start testing it out I thought I should run it past you guys :good:

Sorceror Lord
Level 4
Mark of Tzeentch
Dispel Scroll
Spellshield
Talisman of Preservation
Ironcurse Icon
Biting Blade 390

Exalted Hero
Shield
BSB
Mark of Nurgle
Sword of Swift Slaying
Book of Secrets 210

Chaos Sorceror
Level 2
Mark of Nurgle
Power Familliar
Conjoined Homunculus 185

30 Chaos Marauders
Great Weapons
Full Command
Mark of Khorne 200

30 Chaos Marauders
Great Weapons
Full Command
Mark of Khorne 200

20 Chaos Warriors
Shields
Full Command
Banner of Eternal Flame
Mark of Tzeentch 380

5 Marauder Horsemen
Shields
Throwing Axes
Musician
Mark of Slaanesh 96

5 Warhounds 30

5 Warhounds 30

5 Chaos Knights
Musician
Standard Bearer
Banner of Swiftness
Mark of Nurgle 275

Its supposed to be relitivly competitive, the Sorceror Lord goes with the warriors and each of the heros goes into a unit of marauders. I've got 4 points left to play with, so if anybody has any ideas how to use them, speak up.

All C&C welcome :grin:

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
The things that leap straight out are
(i) you do not have Favour of the Gods
(ii) your BSB does not have a magic banner

Given the risk of getting nothing at all or stupidity from the Eye of the Gods I would be tempted to squeeze Favour in if nothing else; although I am not certain what to trim.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
What with the new edition being released, I thought I'd better update my chaos list. So before I start testing it out I thought I should run it past you guys :good:

Sorceror Lord
Level 4
Mark of Tzeentch
Dispel Scroll
Spellshield
Talisman of Preservation
Ironcurse Icon
Biting Blade 390
I'm not sure I'm in favor of a level 4 Wizard here. Two spells a turn is about average for the magic phase, the level 4 seems a waste of a lord slot, when a level 2 with the Book gives equal usage in the 8th edition. You could go with a combat Lord to bump up your warriors.
Exalted Hero
Shield
BSB
Mark of Nurgle
Sword of Swift Slaying
Book of Secrets 210
Not in favor of a non-mage using the BOS. Just asking for a bad miscast roll. I'd suggest a magic banner here.
Chaos Sorceror
Level 2
Mark of Nurgle
Power Familliar
Conjoined Homunculus 185
Nothing wrong here.
30 Chaos Marauders
Great Weapons
Full Command
Mark of Khorne 200
Khorne marks here can be problematical. You can be lead around/stopped by distant guys. You have to declare a charge if possible, and if you're 15" away, you likely end up with a lot of failed charge 1d6 movement.
30 Chaos Marauders
Great Weapons
Full Command
Mark of Khorne 200

20 Chaos Warriors
Shields
Full Command
Banner of Eternal Flame
Mark of Tzeentch 380
Nothing wrong here, except 20 is a little small for an 8th edition unit. I'd rather see 25.
5 Marauder Horsemen
Shields
Throwing Axes
Musician
Mark of Slaanesh 96
If at all possible, increase this to 10. The rank may come in quite handy.
5 Warhounds 30

5 Warhounds 30

5 Chaos Knights
Musician
Standard Bearer
Banner of Swiftness
Mark of Nurgle 275
Not as effective as it might be. I'd recommend declining in favor of Chosen. 5 knights aren't going to disrupt infantry, and likely will be taking a lot of strike-back wounds. Eventually you'll roll badly, and they'll die.
Its supposed to be relitivly competitive, the Sorceror Lord goes with the warriors and each of the heros goes into a unit of marauders. I've got 4 points left to play with, so if anybody has any ideas how to use them, speak up.

All C&C welcome :grin:

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I don't trust leadership tests, and Marauders often are out in front of the BSB. If you like the risk, go for it. They do give some benefits.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure I'm in favor of a level 4 Wizard here. Two spells a turn is about average for the magic phase, the level 4 seems a waste of a lord slot, when a level 2 with the Book gives equal usage in the 8th edition. You could go with a combat Lord to bump up your warriors.

Not in favor of a non-mage using the BOS. Just asking for a bad miscast roll. I'd suggest a magic banner here.
The book is awful on a level 2 Wizard now, the FAQ really screwed it up for us. I'm really tempted to take a magic banner, but I'm stuck for ideas (any ideas very welcome).

Khorne marks here can be problematical. You can be lead around/stopped by distant guys. You have to declare a charge if possible, and if you're 15" away, you likely end up with a lot of failed charge 1d6 movement.
I'm hoping that with LD8 in both units and the BSB re-roll I'll be able to avoid most of the bait units.

The book may not be the best option on the Exalted BSB, any ideas for a better load out for the BSB?

·
Registered
885 Posts
You really want and need a level 4 sorc in 8th ed for three reasons: (i) +4 to casting rolls; (ii) +4 to dispell rolls, and (iii) when rolling for the spells in a lore a double DOES NOT cause a re-roll but, instead, alllows you to choose a spell (This gives you a much greater chance of getting that spell you need). Given the cost/damage associated with miscasts, Tzeentch allows for a +1 to casting for a total of +5 and allows most spells to be cast efficiently with only two power dice to minimize risk of failure to cast (which ends the ability of the Sorc to cast any more spells that turn) and minimize the risk of a miscast. Since miscasts are far more dangerous, having the level 2 carry an infernal puppet both to protect you and mess with your opponent's miscast rolls is more important. I would tend to run my lord on a disc and keep away from other models given the miscast consequences and put the standard protective stuff on him, not spend money on biting blade. Bloodcurdling roar is very good, BTW, especially with always wounding on 6's and with lower T and AS horde units becoming more common in 8th ed.

A second caster at Lvl 2 is need because the failure of the first caster to cast successfully can prematurely end the magic phase due to broken concentration and a failure of the lvl 4 to dispel ends its ability to dispel. Thus, you need a back up scroll caddy and caster even if if only casts one flickering fire every turn with 1 or 2 PD, (natural roll of 1 or 2 is a autofail to cast).

I like the warrior block with shields and Tzeentch a lot. I think the 2 attacks in the first rank, high I and WS, high S, T and AS and the ward save in combat will serve them well and they will chew up weaker horde blocks with that second rank supporting attack.
I'm still not sold on marauders and, wihile Khorne is better than before due to ability to restrain with LD test, I still think resilience with shields and Tzeentch or Slaanesh might be more important.

I like the horsemen but would not use shields and give up the fast cav and vanguard abilities. The throwing axes will be effective for them and, while they will get shot up, they are needed to go after war machines since you don't have many other options.

I'd even cut a unit of marauder infantry down for a second unit of horsemen or two ranks of horsemen now that they can attack and shoot in two ranks.

I think most people are overestimating the ability of horde armies. The low T, low S and low AS may simply mean a lot of CR in round one and they might hold for a turn due to steadfast but will die in droves and quickly lose ranks if attacked correctly, especially on the flanks where the supporting attacks and spears cannot fight back if not in base contact. It is the steadfast ability that is the key and that can be broken by killing off ranks or smaller, elite ranked units hitting first with two ranks of attacks. Running 10 wide gives an extra rank of attacks but also wastes a lot of points on the ends of the unit that don't get into combat. Thus, always think in terms of swift reforms that allow for depth.

I think Ogres should be looked at for the ability to have 3 models per rank with 3 attacks in two ranks, chaos armour, mobility and hitting power (including stomp attacks). Their mobility will allow them to hit flanks of slower horde blocks and survive with little damage the attacks they will face and crush the opponent. If an Ogre block hits a unit with five ranks in the flank, then that unit will get only five attacks first (if greater initiative) and those attacks will usually whiff or cause maybe one wound. The Ogres are fully ranked and get 18 high S attacks (worth using GWs) and stomp attacks back and crush most opposing units that can afford to be arrayed in a horde formation.

I'm not sure the banner of swiftness is so critical for chaos knights as other magic banners that they already have.

Just some thoughts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts