Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used it and lost twice to long range eldar, first one was a bloodbath. is this army broken and needs to be redone, needs twinkering, or it was just the army i face:

HQ:
Captain w/ LC, hellfire rounds 150

Elites:
dreadnought w/ HF, assualt cannon, drop pod 160
Assualt terminators w/ 2 LC, 3 TH w/ SS 200
Land raider, tank commander 320

Troops
10x tactical squad FL, PC 175
10x tactical squad FL, PC 175
10x tactical squad FL, ML drop pod 205

Heavy:
Vindicator 115

Actually the first game had another vindicator and a thunderfire cannon without the last tact squad and the drop pods.

But anyways was just gifted two vindicators.... any use?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My guess is that he is using fire prisms and falcons? Probably a few wraithlords. With only 2 vehicles he is going to focus fire his small beam on you. That will normally drop your vehicles in 2 or 3 turns alone. with the other shots he will drop them faster. The trick with eldar is that they are very mission specific. If it shoots it does not fight in cc very well and if it CC's well it does not shoot far or much. That being said you need to assault what ever is shooting you unless its a wraithlord. Those guys you hit with a lib or just shoot the snot out of them.

You need transports for your troops. Rhino's or razorbacks. Use smoke the first turn and try to get to his gun line while avoiding his cc units.

drop the tank commander in the low point game, and get to rhinos or razorbacks. Drop the 3rd squad and get another DP Dread. Change the PC of ML in your tac squads. I think this will help you better because they have very few TEQ units. That give you about 125 points. You could get another Vind, and have 10 points left for a hunter killer missile or something like that. As for your commander either a chaplin in term armor, or commander with art armor, relic blade and combi melta or flamer

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man. but my worry isn't beating this one guy, its about whether i can make a tournament army out of this.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
You need transports for your troops. Rhino's or razorbacks. Use smoke the first turn and try to get to his gun line while avoiding his cc units.

drop the tank commander in the low point game, and get to rhinos or razorbacks. Drop the 3rd squad and get another DP Dread. Change the PC of ML in your tac squads. I think this will help you better because they have very few TEQ units. That give you about 125 points. You could get another Vind, and have 10 points left for a hunter killer missile or something like that. As for your commander either a chaplin in term armor, or commander with art armor, relic blade and combi melta or flamer
dead on

thanks man. but my worry isn't beating this one guy, its about whether i can make a tournament army out of this.
follow Grinnsira's advice and fine tune it to your liking

thats about as much as i can tell you since Grinn has mentioned most

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
No, you really can't.... You are trying to do too many things to build a good tournament list....

Here's my 1500 competative list as an example... IMO you need somewhere between 6-8 credible long range threats every turn in order to be competative.

Libby
2x Full Tac squads (ML/Flamer) in Razorbackwith TL Las
2x Dreadnought w/ 2x TL Autocannons
3x Landspeeder Typhoons
3x Autocannon/Las Predators

Personally, I don't think running at termie assault squad works well at 1500 - cause you end up with a ton of points sunk into one unit... but if you do, then you should drop the vindis for something with more ranged punch.

Example:
Libby
Full Tac squads (ML/Flamer) in Razorbackwith TL Las
Scouts with ML and snipers
2x Dreadnought w/ 2x TL Autocannons
3x Autocannon/Las Predators
LandRaider w/ Multi Melta
Termies

In both examples, you'll see there is a lot of target saturation... so if my opponent focuses completely on one unit, I've still got lots left to dish out some ugly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about?
HQ:
Librarian 100

elites:
dreadnought HF/assault cannon drop pod 160
dreadnought HF/assault cannon drop pod 160
dreadnought SB/assault cannon drop pod 150

Troops:
10x tactical squad HF, ML drop pod 205

Heavy support:
Predator TL 105
Predator TL 105
Predator TL 105

I have 6 drop pods. and with drop pod assualt, i could have 3 close range dreadnoughts on them the first turn. Then I could have 3 squads as i need them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How did the two Vindicators work out for you? I've got about 250 points free for HS of which I'm considering dedicating to the use of two vindicators with only the siege shield.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they didn't work well but i didn't use them well, plus eldar vehicles are perfect for using them against me. get a shot works fantastic. if used to defend objective its great, but the range really hurt me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quite interesting, though I've never played against the Eldar I still think your advice is quite sound. The range won't be too much of a problem for me considering the way I want to play them, I imagine they soak up a lot of fire? In fact I've heard its almost to the point where playing with one is useless because it will get 1st turned.

·
Registered
220 Posts
what if you hid it behind a couple of advancing rhinos or razorbacks who pop smoke , saving vindi smoke, and then breaking off second turn to pop it's own smoke and get into position?

·
Registered
53 Posts
what if you hid it behind a couple of advancing rhinos or razorbacks who pop smoke , saving vindi smoke, and then breaking off second turn to pop it's own smoke and get into position?
I was thinking that, or "sandwiching" it between two Rhinos to save its side armor. Though I do think your idea is much better, just make sure they get in range!

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
As a thought, you've now dumped points into a unit that will not do anything useful for a 1/3 of the game. I have run 3 vindi's in 2K, but I built the rest of the list around them. If they have support then can be effective (ie, if you focus on them, the rest of the dakka comes your way... If you don't then on Turn 2 I'm dropping pie plates...)

But if you just toss them in, then your opponent doesn't have a hard choice to make and can concentrate fire on it (and if you don't have the ability to make them pay for the choice with your other units, then it dosen't cost him anything to do so)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the only time i've used it with effect, is by having it behind cover overlooking a strategic point. Played with them in spearhead although, which is PERFECT. because you can make them infiltrate and start within firing range.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It seems like a tough tank, just wondering whether I should go with that or two auto-las predators.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I feel I have a decent list for them, with plenty of other threats.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts