Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on occasion I bounce around different themed army ideas. I had always wanted to try something airforce-like... and with the new Dark Angels and access to their new fliers, I was pondering. Which, of course, brings my attention to the Nephilim...

WTF?

I mean, a fighter with two weapons load-outs is great... Lascannons help with tank hunting, the Avenger can deal with lots of other things. But then there are the missiles, and...

does this fighter have any redeeming qualities? It feels like the weapons are wasted, the costs are too high...

Help me out here.

·
Registered
992 Posts
The Nephilim is not as bad a unit as it appears at first glance. It is overcost by about 20pts, but if you parse the numbers out it stands a good chance of dropping a AV11 vehicle in a single round of fire...

For example, using the Avenger cannon and a pair of missiles against AV 11 that strips roughly 2 HP with 70% chance of a Pen. With a slightly above average roll on the Heavy Bolters you will get 1 more HP. So the Neph can pretty reliably strip 2-3 HP from AV 11. Barring saves.

Not as good against AV 12...but the TL las cannons stand a good shot of hitting and pinning, a pair of missiles have a slight chance of glancing so on a good turn you will get 1 pen and 1 glance against AV 12, but more likely just 1 pen.

If the Neph was about 10-20pts cheaper or the missiles were ST 7 it would be more inline with other flyers. As is, it is still a decent Light armor killer.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
The Nephilim is great. Its detractors haven't been paying attention to its ability to bump weapon destroyed results to immobilized results. On the surface, that's not exciting, but two immobilized results will net you three hull points' worth of damage-- enough to wreck virtually anything. So at worst, with the lascannons, it needs two shots to destroy something. The missiles are fine against side and read armor-- something that you shouldn't have any issues getting at with a flyer. Yeah, the thing's probably a little overcosted, but every time I've played with it, I've had great success with it.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
as i have started playing an all ravenwing list, having some air support is really needed, and as stated its actually not to bad, over priced but it can take a lot of shooting away from my bikes, and it ususly kills one thing in a game which is good, i would always take the fighter over the other variant, it just give more punch.

·
Registered
807 Posts
as i have started playing an all ravenwing list, having some air support is really needed, and as stated its actually not to bad, over priced but it can take a lot of shooting away from my bikes, and it ususly kills one thing in a game which is good, i would always take the fighter over the other variant, it just give more punch.
Not to mention the best reason for it, to kill other flyers. A Lascannon can be very good when firing at another flyer, as most flyers have AV10 or AV11

·
Spanner in the works...
5,349 Posts
Not to mention the best reason for it, to kill other flyers. A Lascannon can be very good when firing at another flyer, as most flyers have AV10 or AV11
Problem is they cost way more than a Vendetta, which packs three times the lascannons.

Its only real purpose IMO is tank hunting. If you play something like Deathwing and lack any real anti-tank then the Nephilim is nice to have for that untouchable firepower. Yes it's over-costed, and yes there are better options, but it's a nice niche.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
One Twin-Linked Lascannon for that price is bullshit, and the missiles are pretty worthless. However, I think it has some use with the Avenger Mega Bolter - sure, it's not as good as the Bolt Cannon (was it too much to ask, GW?) but lets you put out a nice amount of Str6/5 AP4 firepower per turn (10 shots, 3 at S5 and 7 at Str6, all BS5 and Pinning). Unfortunately, it's simply not as good as other armies for the points - the Avenger Strike Fighter, Vendetta and Vulture are all better and can be part of your army as Battle Brothers.

Midnight

1 - 7 of 7 Posts