Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after some totally random thoughts bouncing around in my head, I was giving some thoughts to creating a Word Bearers force. I like playing my armies creative and thematic first, all-comers competitive second, and had always enjoyed the idea of the Bearers in general. Now the question is, how do we make it happen with the current codex?

My first thought, of course, involved a Dark Apostle, but I know that in general, these guys are fairly lackluster. A demon prince becomes the next obvious choice.

Troops seem fairly obvious in running unmarked marines, or possibly cultists, but I really didn't want to go with big blobs.

The idea I had involved using some of the more interesting demonic units in the codex. I thought it might seem more interesting than simply strapping an allied detachment of demons into the army.

So... Obliterators seemed like a good idea to act as my fire support. I'm not really a fan of Mutilators, so I probably won't bother with them. As much as everyone hates Warp Talons, they also seem like they could be a nice touch, to act as my forward offense. Supporting the demon prince, maybe. I'd say an Apostle, but you can't jump pack them.

Possessed make alot of sense, but I'm not sure if they're really good enough to throw in to the works. I only know certain units, so need some advice where to go with these ideas from here. A part of me had considered running Hellbrutes or something else from the robo managerie, or maybe the Decimator (even though I know the Forgefiend is more effective for a dakkademon).

Any thoughts to help me out?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Models with the Daemon rule can always benefit from allied daemons who have the Grimoire of True Names; as does a Forgefiend benefit from a Tzeentchi HQ's Prescience. Word Bearers are reputed to summon Daemonic allies, and a 3+ imvuln would do wonders for Warp Talons' fragility. You don't need to, of course, but...

The only problem I can foresee with trying to run an unmarked force is the Daemon Prince needing one... But I don't subscribe to the notion that the undivided legions have stayed pristine and wholly untainted over 10k years, so I imagine a few Word Bearers might have slipped into patronage from one power or another, seeing that power as "self-evidently" the dominant god...

I imagine CSM with meltas and purchased CCWs are plenty flexible for your troops needs (plus perhaps a pair of plasma on a bolter squad to hang midfield), and a tiny band of fervently loyal cultists are never amiss as a home objective claimant. Well, I say "never" but 1/6 of the time, you may be playing kill points.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sadly, I know next to nothing about Chaos Daemons, and what would be good choices to tack on. That said, I'm all for Tzeentch and their better Invuls. (or rerolling parts of em)

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Well, you can hardly go amiss taking a "Straken's Fist Special": a squad of Horrors behind an ADL (who can go to ground for a rerollable 2+ cover save) joined by a Herald of Tzeentch with an Exalted Gift (swapped for the Grimoire of True Names, which gives a unit with the Daemon rule -1 to their invulnerable save on a 1-2, but a +2 to their invuln save on a 3+) and several mastery levels of Divination. It'll be in the range of 300 points (with the ADL), but you can be buffing your daemons and daemon engines, giving Prescience to, say, a Forgefiend for its BS3, and also holding a home objective with a unit that ignores shooting for morale and basically ignores shooting that doesn't ignore cover, anyways.

Still you'd need the codex for that: page through it if you have the opportunity, I'd say. You could also include an assault support unit like cheap 2-wound Flesh Hounds for your Prince/Warp Talins, and/or a Soul Grinder (with Nurgle and in cover for an easy 2+ cover save) for a battle cannon look-alike and some AA capability.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have the codex at home, I'll just need to start leafing through it. Sounds like it might be worth it just for the support of the HQ. Never considered the soulgrinder, only because I hate the model, but it's also a possibility. Try to fit as many units as possible into the army running with the Demon rule from one list or the other.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So here's a first draft that I came up with. This is NOT using Daemons, because I only have that codex at home, and I'm still reading about it. I wasn't really liking the idea of being utterly holed up behind the Aegis. I wanted something a little bit more in your face.

I tried to go with a mix of marks, mostly just cherry picking what would be most useful for each situation.

Daemon Prince - 260
MoS, Black Mace, Wings, Power Armor

CSM - 240
x10, Meltagun x2, Bolter, BP, CCW, MoK, Rhino + Dirge

CSM - 240
x10, Meltagun x2, Bolter x8, BP/CCW, MoK, Rhino + Dirge

CSM - 220
x10, Plasmagun x2, Bolter x8, BP/CCW, MoN

Hellbrute - 105
Reaper

Hellbrute - 105
Reaper

Hellbrute - 105
Reaper

Warp Talons - 226
x7, MoTz

Obliterator Cult - 156
x2, MoN

Obliterator Cult - 156
x2, MoN

Forgefiend - 175

Total: 1988

I think my math is right. The plan is to keep the Nurgle Marines backfield as my defensive unit, hence the sturdier troops and a lack of transport. I assume their heavier units will be sent forward, so Plasma go with them. The two Khorne squads are forward units with rhinos, and the Meltas are there so I can threaten armor hiding in the back. The DP soars around causing all sorts of havoc, and will hopefully threaten with the Warp Talons, crushing whatever needs murdering. I know some people think the Talons aren't very exciting, but I like the idea of them, and 3+/4++ isn't too shabby. The Obliterators are a favorite of mine, and I made them Nurgly for extra durability, and then a Forgefiend just to make some fun with alot of shots, and because the model looks sick. The Hellbrutes, honestly, I'm on the fence about; I love loyalist Dreadnoughts, but not really a big fan of Hellbrutes, but they felt right, giving me some decent firepower with melee threats as needed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you are looking to be aggressive, Khorne Hounds are something to consider if you look to take Daemon allies. Spawn with the Mark of Nurgle in units of at least three should make a decent tie-up option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts