Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,612 Posts
So far the only consistently successful elements have been Mephiston, the bikes, the crusader and the DC.
I really love the concept of having every man on a bike or in a transport, but SM transports really suck...
Overall, the thing that looks weirdest about this list to me is you only have 20 guys (edit: no, there's really 25, not including ICs). I'd recommend, not fewer units in really sucky transports, but more if you can. He can't take all of them out, can he? I know the Rhino-rush is hardly the done thing these days, but perhaps it's due for a comeback?

If the Baals aren't working, how about dropping them? That'll free up a heap of points (enough to get you another Crusader... difficult to see who to put in it though...) (edit: how about the Honour Guard that you consistently fail to notice, Orc you brainless... orc?) Anyway Galahad, if the ICs are in the second Crusader too, that's two Crusaders and two Laserbacks rushing towards the enemy intent on disgorging troops, allowing you to drop the HB razorback, giving you a bunch more points to play with...

Just my first (and second) somewhat random thoughts...

· Registered
3,612 Posts
Easier said than done. 5 marines without any special weapons runs me 115 points, plus another 40 just for a rhino.

Dropping both baals would buy me maybe another razorback squad and perhaps a powerfist or two. One fragile target in exchange for two strong ones.
Yeah, sorry, I'm not being clear.

The first and second paragraphs in my post don't necessarily go together. But as they don't seem to be working, dropping the preds seems to be the way forward. That frees up 250pts which you could buy another Crusader with, for your HG & ICs, allowing you to drop the HB razorback, thereby giving you some more points to spend on... another attack bike?

OR; you could more fundamentally re-tool your army towards a rhino-rush-type force; again, drop the preds (I'm not a big fan of tanks as you probably already know!), to get another tac squad with laserback; and maybe lose Lemmy too if he's not working; if you also drop an attack bike, that'll give you enough points for a HB razorback and melta-armed tac squad, for instance (weird suggestion, I know, but it's just numbers off the top of my head at the moment - not done the math, but you should still have about 50pts left; so it might not be necessary to drop the attack bike, or potentially possible to re-tool a fourth tac squad more sensibly).

On exchanging two strong targets for one fragile one, I see your point, but if the two strong targets are that good, why are you complaining about them? If all they are doing is soaking up heavy weapons fire until they blow, that could be seen as bad (point-sinks that are bound to be eventually destroyed) or good (fire-magnets that take the heat of your other units), but you have to decide which it is, and if they're worth it. But no, I wouldn't advocate just swapping two preds for one rhino- or razor-squad, that does seem like a bad swap, hence a few ideas how to make the points for another rhino- or razor-squad. After all, a Crusader, three laserbacks, a rhino or HB razorback, and three attack bikes bearing down on your gunline (even if it does infiltrate) is not to be sneezed at.

· Registered
3,612 Posts
No worries mate; sorry I haven't been more helpful...

OK, if you want to keep the army mobile, and if you're reluctant to drop the preds, or Lemmy, and everything else is working except the HB razorback Honour Guard, and the Lazerback tac squads, it seems (since you obviously can't drop your 2 compulsory troops) that really the only place to squeeze points is from the Honour Guard.

Otherwise, rather than list fluffing, the only option is alternative tactics (hmm, Galahad's posted this in the 'Tactics' forum... I wonder if that's a clue? Nah, can't be...). To be honest though, against infiltrate, I'd think the best thing would be something that moved quite fast but could still attack (unlike disembarking tac squads)... a speeder maybe, or a jump-pack assault unit. I know you want the attack bikes, and you don't want guys with jump packs, but you need to be able to knock out his tankbusting, infiltrating infantry with something (sorry, this is stating the bleedin' obvious really). I mean, running over them with the Crusader is I'm sure pretty funny, but it can't be everywhere, and you need to be able to take them out - or he's likely to keep on popping your transports.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.