Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Playing High Elves now for some years (althoug the last 2 years I haven't played yet) I would be pleased if I could get some advice of some experienced players.
My next battle will only be in two monthes on a tournament with some friends in my local store.

My old armylist was the following:

Lord

Archmage lvl 3 with book of Hoeth: 335

Hero

Dragonmage, lvl2 with staff of solidity and 1 dispel scroll: 425
Hero with 2handed sword, Dragon Armor, Shield and ring of fury: 141

Core

2 x 20 Spearmen, with full command: 410
2 x 10 Archers: 110

Special

12 Swordmasters, musician and standard bearer: 225
6 Shadowwarriors: 96
10 Dragonprinces of Caledor with full Command: 350
(Can also be split in 2 units of 5)
1 Chariot of Chrace : 140

Rare

2 x 1 RBT: 200

The total is 2402 points.

My actual problem is that with the new rules I don't know what to do with this list. Which hero shall be taken beside. Normally I would opt for the Dragonmage and the Archmage. The Archmage could be changed into a hero on griffin, 1 or 2 bancaddies and eventually a BSB (which in my opinion is a kind of must for battles over 2k points.
I can't really decide what to do.
The cause that i haven't yet deleted the Dragonmage is that I like his look on the table :)
I was also thinking of taking eventually some LSG.

THanks for your advice.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Lord

Archmage lvl 3 with book of Hoeth: 335
Is alright, but could really do with being level 4.

Hero

Dragonmage, lvl2 with staff of solidity and 1 dispel scroll: 425
Hero with 2handed sword, Dragon Armor, Shield and ring of fury: 141
Not sure what the role of the Ring of Fury hero is. He doesn't have a magic weapon/armour so won't do well in challenges, and is a bit expensive just to carry the ring around.

Core

2 x 20 Spearmen, with full command: 410
2 x 10 Archers: 110
You could save a fistful of points by folding these units into each other to create 60 Sea Guard, that way you pay 13 points for a spearmen with a bow rather than 20 for one guy with a bow and one with a spear.

Special

12 Swordmasters, musician and standard bearer: 225
6 Shadowwarriors: 96
10 Dragonprinces of Caledor with full Command: 350
(Can also be split in 2 units of 5)
1 Chariot of Chrace : 140
I'm not amazingly sold on 10 Dragon princes, but their immunity to Lore of Metal makes them much better than other heavy cav out there, so might be worth taking for that reason. If you could find the points to mount a hero to add to this unit, I'd do it, probably a BSB.

I'm also not sure about the value of 1 chariot... I guess the Dragon Princes wil be taking most of the fire people normally throw at it, so it might work.

And be careful with those 12 Swordmasters, if you fight a unit of more than 20 models with them then expect to lose eventually due to the new step up rules.

I'm guessing your tactic is a citizen levy center with a chariot on one side and Swordmasters on another, with flanking cavalry and Dragon?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply :) And yes ^^
With the old rules I played my army like a citizen host. The chariot supported my Spearmen, The archers shot on big units, Swordmasters were used against other elite troops, shadow warriors to hun warmachines etc.
I also had in mind to make the swordmasters a unit of 20.

But with the new rules I unfortunately have no plan for the moment.

With my hero I agree, I could easily make of him a BSB, with would be more useful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts