Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been thinking bout starting a SM army, i might go back and start with dark angels again but i used to do that years ago and might try somthing new

ive been thinking templers space wolves or grey nights

what you guys think on them any hints ?

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
I'm not a expert on Black Templers however GK's I can give you some hints on.

First: if your going pure GK your force is going to be very small in number due to teh high point cost of all their units and thus may struggle vs Hordes purely because of the lack of models.

Second: Antitank is a big problem for Gk's. They have very little in the way of antitank and what they do have is usually vechile mounted and as such gets targeted pretty fast.

Third: GK's are primarily designed to fight Deamons. The majority of their special rules are related to this. So against deamons your going to decimate. Against others you may have a little more trouble.

The up side is however that GK's do kick ass in both CC due to the Nemis Force Weapons and in shooting due to the storm bolters. They are the best of the best and really cause headaches. It takes a lot of skill to use them well.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks that helps alot.. im really interested in GK the modles look some of the best and those nemesis force weopens and storm bolters as average weopen is really good... but i was thinking bout the high point cost... i will be buying about 2,000 points of the army i choose because im getting back into it and wanna start a fresh so leaving my death guard behind. thanks for help mate

any more ?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I play Dark Angels and Grey Knights.
If you have any Qs on these I would be glad to help.

As Jacobite stated above, Grey knight are an allround ass-kick but they don't do anti-tank. My army has (Will, actually. Not finished yet) 20 GK, inquisitor and 2 dreadnoughts for the tanks.

Dark angels are a very flexible army. They do lots of damage in Combat, can outshoot even Tau sometimes and can really lay some heavy damage with heavy weapons.
Try to build a balanced army that has at least one of a squad specifically designed for something.
I have a squad of termis and veterans for combat, tactical squads, devastators and predators for shooting, and a dreadnought for both.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask here or through pm. Preferably here so other can learn something too.

·
Registered
598 Posts
flow with your interests, like tactics wise and looks wise, (if your into the look of armies)
bloodhound and jacobite gave good pointers, but go for what suits your taste
i wish you luck in your choice of army!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Black Templars have some wicked rules like where they take a wound form shooting and at the end of the turn the whole army gets to advance d6 inches. They have got an unusual set up for SM they have big tactical squads with scouts in there as well, but cant take devastators. Also their really anti psycher would compliment a which hunters army well.

Space Wolves are hard as nails in the assault, not that Templars aren't, but wolves are a little more relaxed and their wolf priests and wolf guard battle leaders are hard as nails!.

Grey Knights are the best against fighting psycers and have some really hot weapons, they come off very well against chaos, or eldar.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Grey Knights can be a very deadly force @ 2000pts.

1 Grey Knight Grand Master
4 Grey Knight Terminator Retinue

36 Grey Knights
4 Justicars w/ Melta Bombs

1 Land Raider
2 Grey Knight Dreadnoughts in Hellfire configuration w/ Extra Armor

That gives you 8 scoring units, a scary 45 Str 6 HtH attack models 9 of which have power weapons and 40 of which have true grit :), 4 meltabombs so you can assualt the standard vehicle, 4 twin linked Lascannons and 2 Missle Launchers to destroy any vehicle sitting around, and upto 90 storm bolter shells flying from your army a turn to give you 24" kill zone around your army.

In addition you have the Aegis to protect you from psycher, you can drop a terminator from your retinue and give everyone unguents of warding to double up on this protection, you can take sacred incense on the GM to really scare any Chaos Lord or CC unit. Need I say more??

The only downside I found with GK is the metal models dont stay glued very well no matter what you use and they are some what of a pain to paint. But to each there own.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, i play DA and my army has some decent CC units but is mostly shooty, so if you want a shooty army go for DA.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Another thing to remember with GK's is that your dealing with a all metal army (with the exception of the tanks and Dreads) and therefore converting isn't as easy as with all plastic like BT's or SW's.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I think DA's are great, both their look and their game options. There is a great new sprue for cool conversions for both your vehicles and troopers which is always fun. Cool looking armies always tend to play better. :victory: PLus they come with all the needed support equipment, (grenades, bolt pistols, etc...) you just have to live with the combat squad doctrine which isn't to bad once you get used to it.

As mentioned prior GK is all metal which is rough on the pocket book, difficult to convert and painted metal is always so fragile. There is nothing worse then ruining your favorite model with a big paint chip! :angry:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks alot guys ive taking sum good hints there.... im still thinking bout which one to choose, i really like the look of GK but as people say there costly in points, DA and templers i like too and space wolves i like haha still hard choice

wulfen are probably my favourite models in the game though so that draws me closer, but GK terminators are sweet too. and i think dark angels and templers have the best colour schemes of SM thats my opinion though

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
The great thing about Grey Knights is that you can use 1HQ, 1Elites, 1FA, and 2 Troops in any Imperial army.. so if you like BA you can take them then have Grey Knights as allies.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah ano, they are a good (expensice) force

does any one on this forum know bout space wolves for any info on them like are they good to use things like that

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> Arite mate. Space Wolves are the shit. There are loads of good options for SW, but there are also a few bad ones.

>> Good: All hqs, if ye can manage tae keep them cheap enough. Scouts, worth every point, especially when ye come on from yer enemies table edge, but dont rely to much on this tactic, as a wise opponent will just nullifgy it straight away. Grey Hunters, probably the best troop choice for any marine chapter as they can carry power weapons/fists and are'nt held back by heavy weapons, as they cany have any ij the squad. The fact that they get 2 attacks when carrying bolters, due to the true grit rule is a bonus. Long Fangs. People will say Fangs are a waste as they can only be 5 strong, but to this I say bollocks. Use other units to block site, and force priority checks. they can also fire at 2 seperate targets. Blood Claws are a bit hit and miss. Backed up by a stormcaller throwing rune priest, they rock on the charge with 4 attacks. can carry 2 powerfist in an 8 man squad, but they only have a weapon and bs of 3.

>. blodcl;aw bikers, read above but add a bike, and they can be in units of 8, but this is expensive.

>. Bad: Bloodclaw Jump pack squads. Well over-priced. Same as a biker, but no toughness bonus, not worth it at all. i personally find Wolf Guard are over expensive, and they can only be used a pack leaders or bodyguards. You cant have seperate squads.

>> So thats generally what I think are the strengths and weakness of Space Wolves. I have played them for years, and would never use another SM army. Oh, and as a side note, Rhinos and razorbacks are your friend.

>> hope I've helped you a little mate. Im sure peeps will give you other pointers. Choose wisely my friend, CHOOSE WISELY!!!!!.:victory:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
haha cheers mate... that helps me choose im going down today as its early morning now (2 am lol) are the wolfen any good coz there my favourite models imo they look great

1 - 18 of 18 Posts