Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a 2000 point drop pod army (single force org). My goal is to build it in chunks as allies for my Eldar army. I have the first two buys figured out, but I want to build a series of escalating lists that will work their way up to 2k. I'd love help making them fluffy/fun.

First Buy:

HQ:
Vulkan He'stan

Elites:
Ironclad Dreadnought w/ Heavy Flamer (on PF)
-Drop Pod

Troops:
5x Tac Marines w/ Melta
-Drop Pod
5x Tac Marines w/ Melta
-Drop Pod
-------------------------
600 points

Second Buy:

HQ:
Command Squad w/ Apothecary, 2x Combi-melta, 3x Lightning Claws, 1x Thunder Hammer, 4x Storm Shields
-Drop pod

Troops:
5x Tac Marines w/ Melta
-Drop pod
5x Tac Marines w/ MMelta

Heavy Support:
3x Centurion Devestators w/ 3x Missile Launchers, 3x TL-Las, Omniscope
-------------
900 points

This gives me 500 points to get up to 2k. Any thoughts on things I should change?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hey,

Firstly: Your 5-man tactical squads. Do they have meltagun and combi-melta or just melta? Take a combi-melta too on your sergeant, if not.

Secondly, and probably most importantly, I think it's a really bad idea to give a command squad expensive close combat weapons: They become eye watering expensive. For example, thunderhammer + storm shield makes it 60pts a model. That is more expensive than a terminator (40pts) with a thunderhammer/storm shield, and the same price as a terminator with an assault cannon and only 5pts cheaper than a cyclone missile launcher, yet they don't have a 2+ save and do not have as much killing power...See where I am going with this?
Of course, if you are gunning for a super-fluffy list, then you can give them thunderhammers and be done with it. Just don't expect them to do much (it probably wont be fun if they get wasted almost every game though...).

Ideally, if you are taking Vulkan, you need to justify his inclusion with lots of melta. Right now I don't think you have quite enough podding melta to justify that. Also, remember that the multi-melta will be snap firing when it comes from the drop pod, so 6's to hit (with a re-roll, but still, is it worth it?).
The way I run my Command Squad is very simple: I take x4 meltaguns (they can take special weapons even though it doesn't say in the codex, it has been FAQ'd :)) and if I include Vulkan it makes them twin-linked, and then is basically guaranteed to pop anything on turn 1. I often include an apothecary especially if I attach Vulkan to the squad as it grants him and the squad FNP for a very small points investment...
Honestly, I think this is the best way to run a command squad with Salamanders. They very rarely survive the whole game, but they work as a delivery package for Vulkan to get stuck in whilst giving a virtual guarantee of popping AV14 turn 1. I like having a unit as reliable for this.

Other units that I find are fluffy yet effective:

x5 Sternguard with x2 heavy flamers x2 combi-meltas in a pod: Very very flexible unit with special ammo, melta and heavy flamers taking advantage of the chapter tactics.

x5 Assault Marines without jump packs (which means they work for fluff :)) with x2 flamers in a drop pod. A very, very good deal for 95pts and often overlooked.

Thunderfire Cannon: Sallies love there war machines, so it's definitely a fluffy choice. I mention it because for 100pts you get a cannon that can slow horde armies down dramatically or kill pesky guardsmen hiding behind ADLs or in ruins. And with a techmarine you can bolster defences for a unit such as the Centurions, giving them a 3+ cover save in a ruin. Nice synergy there.

Hope this helps.

SF

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Lots of good points by Straken.

Unfortunately it's hard to build a list around Vulkan in stages, as Vulkan only really gets worthwhile over 1800 points. You have to cram in a lot of melta to make him worth the cost. He also works best with a good CC unit (i.e hammernators), but Straken's Melta command squad is a pretty good second if you're running all pods.

Sternguard in pods are fantastic. I really like running a 10 man squad with 2 x heavy flamers and 5 combi meltas. Even without Vulkan they are well worth taking.

I've proxied an ironclad a few times now and have never been disappointed. Note that the heavy flamer won't get the benefit of chapter tactics, but the melta gun will benefit from Vulkan.

Also agree with the thunderfire cannon. it's a fantastic bit of kit and one of the best bargains in the SM dex.

I do like the idea of the cheap assault squad but i prefer them with jump packs.

Also don't forget to kit out your sergeants - you get a free master-crafted weapon for every character. A re-rollable plasma weapon that can also make precision shots can be lots of fun when the dice go your way.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice! I've never played Space Marines before so I appreciate the wisdom.

I think I'll switch my first set of purchases to:

HQ:
Vulcan He'stan
Command Squad w/ Apothecary, 4x Melta
-Drop pod

Troops:
5x Tac Marines w/ Melta, Plasma Pistol
-Drop pod

Since I'll initially be running them with Eldar. Then my second purchase will be:

Elites:
5x Sternguard Vets w/ 2x Heavy Flamers, 2x Combi-Melta
-Drop Pod

Troops:
5x Tac Marines w/ Melta, Plasma Pistol
-Drop Pod

Then, when I fill out I'll grab a Thunderfire Cannon or two and the Ironclad Dreadnought w/ Heavy Flamer and Drop Pod as well as more Tac squads and Sternguard.

How do you kit 10x Tac Squads?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Any reason you are kitting them out with plasma pistols? 15pts for x1 shot of plasma that you will probably only ever use once, just doesn't seem worth it to me...Why not take a combi-plasma for 10pts, where you get x2 shots of plasma for 5pts less? Or a combi-melta for synergy with the melta gun. Just a thought.

Otherwise, well yeah I like the list as it has a lot of the same units I run lol So I am biased.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts