Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a bit of trouble here, and was hoping some of you Ork Loverz could help.

1 - what color is the blood of an Ork? I've read that it's green and also that it's red. Who is right?

2 - exactly how tall is an Ork? I know they possess a squatting frame, but even hunched over, are they taller than a Terran? Same height?

I know that Orks have changed a lot since Rogue Trader, but can anyone help me with the latest info?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Ork blood is green. It was red back in the day.

Orks' mass and height change according to its social station, but your common or garden boy is six to seven feet tall, even hunched up, and much broader across the shoulder.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Per the Ork codex, "A typical Ork stands around the same height as a man, though he would be much taller if he would only stand up straight."

So probably 5'9 or so squatted, 6'7 standing up?

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Ork blood depends on which edition codex you read and what fluff you read. I have seen it as green, bright red, dark red and black in color depending on what fluff you read. So not much help I know so go with whatever you like.

Grots are around 3 feet tall and an ork boy is twice as big so around 6 feet tall. They do grow taller and bigger as they grow in rank so there could be some really big orks out there.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Yeah, some ork Warlords are massive. The Prophet of the Waaagh, Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka is supposed to be about 6m tall, showing that the size an ork can achieve is pretty much only limited by how long he lives and how successful he is.
True what morfangdakka said about the blood. I think ork blood is currently officially supposed to be green but the BL authers tend to change this whenever they feel like it as the colour of ork blood varies a great deal depending on what fluff you read.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Orks are supposed to have green blood fluff wise. Anyone who has written it as different.... even BL authors, clearly don't know their greenskin biology.

However, painting green blood on green skin doesn't stand out, so it tends to be painted red for artistic effect.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the replies.

Regarding the blood question: through my investigation online, I found two different W40K Fluff sites and they disagreed over the color. I figured it to be one of those issues that has evolved over time, and needed to know what the most recent 'decision' was.

Green it is. :so_happy:

·
Registered
147 Posts
In my humble opinion Ork blood should be like a putrid yellow. It just seems like such a dirty race (Fluffwise I think the Orks are the nastiest race aside from Tyranids) would have blood that is similar to hawking a nasty yellow ball of phlegm.

Anyone agree? A compromise for both the artistic and fluff communities.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Orks are supposed to have green blood fluff wise. Anyone who has written it as different.... even BL authors, clearly don't know their greenskin biology.
Or they could have written it following a source stating the blood was not green, written before it was currently decided the blood was green, decided that it no longer should be green, or any number of things.

Things change, it did not completely start that way. As far as I'm aware, orks were not originally walking, killing, screaming fungi; thats something that GW worked into the fluff more recently.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Fifteen Hours, whilst not the greatest book ever, is good in its descriptions of Orks at war. If they aren't a Nob, then the Ork will be scrawnier and weaker, although still a physical match for Humans by a long way. However, should that same Ork get into the action and make some kills, it will trigger a growth in size, muscle mass and aggression- especially if they kill something really big/important.
Xenology has an Ork that hasn't seen war for an extended peroid of time; this creature has lost most of its muscle mass and is now quite 'fat', looking out of shape and unfit/unwell; let it out, however, and let it kill and that will all change.
As for blood colour. Well I'm not sure what fungus would do; if it were chlorophyll, and Orks were plants, I would imagine it would be green. As they are fungi, then maybe it could be a milky, opaque white? Although, what the hell, if you put gore on a model then painting it as red will stop the need for continual explanations. ;)

GFP

GFP

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ork blood used to be green due to the same reason their skin is green(I think something about photosynthesis), but now the reason for the skin color has changed(algae just under the skin) and blood is no longer green, I don't want to flip through the codex but most sources written after the 4th ed codex came out point to it being slightly darker that a humans blood.

Edit: Didn't see you're post fossil, but one thing was wrong anyways while Orks may grow from spores the adult form just has algae growing right below the skin

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Yeah, the awesome cover on the old warhammer fantasy roleplay had orks with green blood, but at the same time, the orks had females too, so it does depend on what fluff and what you want I guess. I like the contrast so I do red blood :)

The choice is yours :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah, some ork Warlords are massive. The Prophet of the Waaagh, Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka is supposed to be about 6m tall, showing that the size an ork can achieve is pretty much only limited by how long he lives and how successful he is.
Is Ghazghkull really that big? Good Lord, I knew he was large but I didn't know he was gigantic. There is that picture of him the 4th Ed. Codex where he is massive.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Is Ghazghkull really that big? Good Lord, I knew he was large but I didn't know he was gigantic. There is that picture of him the 4th Ed. Codex where he is massive.
Well there is the report of 6m and then the report of "really fucking big" so...you choose

·
Registered
941 Posts
they are plants, but combat is their sunlight, so the more combat the bigger they get!

·
Registered
231 Posts
They are NOT plants, they used to be plants. It was even stated by GW, but when either 3rd or 4th came out(dont remember which) Orks were ret-conned into not being plants and not having green blood.

The reason that they grow bigger is similar to the way all of their weapons/vehicles work, their latent Psychic powers have a direct effect on the world around them, making them grow larger the longer they are exposed to fighting.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
They are NOT plants, they used to be plants. It was even stated by GW, but when either 3rd or 4th came out(dont remember which) Orks were ret-conned into not being plants and not having green blood.

The reason that they grow bigger is similar to the way all of their weapons/vehicles work, their latent Psychic powers have a direct effect on the world around them, making them grow larger the longer they are exposed to fighting.

I remember reading this explaination into why orks had red blood i believe it was covered in a chapter approved or faq somewhere in WD. It was way back just as codex armageddon came out iirc. They went on to say that algae below the skin caused it to appear green adn that the algea could sometimes photosynthesys and make the skin colour change huge depending on sunlight. But as the orks still need to breath they still require red blood cells and platelets to process oxygen in their blood which is why it is red. Otherwise their gums and inside their mouths should be green as well as their blood.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
True what morfangdakka said about the blood. I think ork blood is currently officially supposed to be green but the BL authers tend to change this whenever they feel like it as the colour of ork blood varies a great deal depending on what fluff you read.
Snagrod is much older than Ghazghkull, and has seen just as much combat or more but even he isn't any where near that big.

I'd say Ghazghkull in his Mega-Armour would be just a shade smaller than a Space Marine Dreadnought, which stand about 4-5m in height.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Snagrod is much older than Ghazghkull, and has seen just as much combat or more but even he isn't any where near that big.

I'd say Ghazghkull in his Mega-Armour would be just a shade smaller than a Space Marine Dreadnought, which stand about 4-5m in height.
My warboss is huge, i used an Ogre kingdoms gorger modle for the basis. His shoulders come about level with the top of the tracks on a leman russ battle tank. I think it really comes down to your preference. My first warboss was based on the old Nork deddog model and was shorter and fatter than his nobs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts