Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What weapons should I give my devastator squad?

All I know is that I want at least 1 lascannon in my squad and no heavy bolters, and I want the squad to be able to blast tanks into oblivion and still be able to destroy entire infantry squads from long range once all the tanks are blown up (or if im fighting someone who doesn't have tanks).

·
Registered
517 Posts
Well, I don't know... What about 2 lascannons, 1 missile launcher and 1 plasma cannon? That should give you a decently effective squad against vs heavy infantry as well as light and heavy veichles.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My stay at home Devs are armed 1 las, 1 plas and 2 missile. I find this the most flexible unit, regardless of Army faced.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Devastator Weapon Selection

Hi gang,
You know what's interesting. I played Space Marines in the Dawn of War computer game for a couple of years before I played them in 40k. And, in the DoW video game, heavy bolters rule; I love them! But, they definitely aren't as awesome in the miniature version of 40k. Still, if you don't have the Devastators in a Razorback or with some standard tactical Marines to support them, then they are somewhat vulnerable, especially to assault.

Cheers,
Tau2007

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I not sure what chapter you are using, but adding tank hunter skill to a Dev squad of 2 missiles and 2 plasma is like having 2 missile and 2 las against armour and yet be absolutely:victory: crushing to troops! I'm currently using this set up in my Imperial Fist army and I am really liking it.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I rarely use devastators because they're outrageously easy to neutralize (park an empty Rhino in front of a devastator squad sometime and you'll see what I mean.) but when I have used them, I've found that the most effective setup for multi-purpose support is a lascannon, a pair of missile launchers, and a plasma cannon. The missiles are solid enough all-rounders-- people really underestimate frag missiles-- and the plasma cannon is perfectly capable of opening up a light vehicle if the need arises. When you need to get more specific with roles, which I've found works best with devastators, one or two lascannons and two or three missile launchers do the trick for anti-armour, while a squad equipped with two or three heavy bolters and one or two plasma cannons works well for anti-infantry.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
4 Missle Launchers works pretty good for me... its point effecient enough and can work wonders against troops if you drop Frags instead of Kraks. Also I save my Las for my Tactical squads where they can really do damage instead.

Also just to give you an idea of how to get lots of heavy weapons cheaply (well sorta...) I bought the new plastic devastator squad as well as a full 10 man tactical squad and put all the heavy and special weapon models together. When it was all said and done I had 2 Missle Launchers, 2 Lascannons, 2 Plasma Cannons, 2 Heavy Bolters, 1 Multi Melta, 1 Plasma gun, 1 Melta gun, 1 Flamer, 2 Sgts (1 w/ PF), and 1 Regular tactical marine. Not to bad for $70 if you ask me. Kinda filled out every other role for my army.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts