Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy y'all. I am new to the game and have decided to play BT they just seem to appeal to me more then anyone else does right now. So i have put together an army wanted to get your feedback. Again, I have NEVER played a game, and this is MY first ARMY build, so let me knonw what i have done wrong and what i could do better!! Thanks.

[HQ]
Emp. Champion with accept any challenge blessing

[Troops]
10x Initiates
10x Neophytes
broken up into two 10 man squads 5/5

[Elite]
5x sword brethren

1x Predator Annihilator

and upgrades include

all with seals, 1 missile launcher (initiate), 1 melta gun, las cannon (sword), annihilator with las cannon.

this point total is 705, i need 45 more pts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Howdy y'all. I am new to the game and have decided to play BT they just seem to appeal to me more then anyone else does right now. So i have put together an army wanted to get your feedback. Again, I have NEVER played a game, and this is MY first ARMY build, so let me knonw what i have done wrong and what i could do better!! Thanks.

[HQ]
Emp. Champion with accept any challenge blessing

[Troops]
10x Initiates
10x Neophytes
broken up into two 10 man squads 5/5

[Elite]
5x sword brethren

1x Predator Annihilator

and upgrades include

all with seals, 1 missile launcher (initiate), 1 melta gun, las cannon (sword), annihilator with las cannon.

this point total is 705, i need 45 more pts.
Starting from the top...

Your HQ is both compulsory and fine, and at this point value you don't really need anyone else.

Troops are a bit of a problem though. Your current set up they will probably die before they reach the enemy and are too unfocused (also, seals are overpriced IMO). You can have three set ups that work for troops in black templars.

The first is with at least 10 initiates and 5-10 neophytes with close combat weapons.. This set up gives you enough abrasive wounds in the for of neophytes (and this is the only thing they are good for since they don't benefit from the vow) for you to get into CC (close combat). It is in CC where your rules and vows give you the greatest advantage, so you want to get there as fast as possible.

For this squad I'd leave the heavy weapons at home, since they will be moving or in CC every turn and therefore will never fire them. Instead I would take a power fist, as it allows you to hurt both vehicles like dreadnoughts and high toughness opponents like carnifex (SP?) in CC. I would also avoid plasma guns since you can't fire them and assault, so that leaves both the melta gun and the flamer as viable choices. Personally I love the meltas audibility to crack transports to get to the sweet gooey center :), but if you find yourself fighting horde armies a lot then the flamer would probably be a better buy.

The second squad loadout is for 10 men (9 if you want to put a HQ in them), at least seven of these as initiates, in a rhino with smoke launchers. Personal I prefer this set up to the one above since our smoke launchers use the old rules; making all penetrating hits into glancing ones. This means that our tanks get one turn of near invincibility :biggrin:. As for the weapons, everything I said earlier applies here as well.

The final squad is basically there to make up for our lack of devistators (heavy support marines with four heavy weapons that other chapters get). It consists of five initiates with bolters, a plasma gun (the longest range special weapon) and a heavy weapon of your choice (I like lascannons or plasma cannons). This squad is there to sit on an objective and provide fire support. for the assaulting squad.

As for which squads to chose, I would take at least two of ether the first or second (don't mix!), as you need CC power. The third is more of an optional support unit then part of your core army so that's up to you.

I would leave the sword brethren at home, since they need to be highly specialized with lots of upgrades to make them worth their points. For the squad you have the veteran skill isn't worth it for a single lascannon.

For the predator, I find that tri-las to be too expensive and overkill so I prefer an autocannon with lascannon sponsons. It will also die quite quickly in this list as its the only tank. This means that every anti tank gun in your opponents army will be shooting at it. If you relay want it I would take rhinos for your troops to spread your opponents anti tank guns thinner.

Sorry, that ended up being longer then I intended :shok: anyway, good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, thank you for the reply, and thank you for the ideas.. Being new to this game, and well mini war all together, that was very insightful, I do need to ensure my army is set up for CC with this. This will be a good base to start with, with your feedback. I will go back and readjust my army see if it improves with your thoughts and ideas. I started working a list for a 1750pt army too, I should make sure all my troops are set up for CC and just have a squad sit in the back with ranged weapons and have them stationary in cover (if there)..and get the rest of my army set up for CC get up close and personal and put a whooping on them...

....back to the books. thank you again!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds good, I look forwards to seeing your finished list. There are also quite a few good unit-by-unit tacticas for black templars on the web which would probably help you a lot if you manage to find them. Anyway, welcome to the game and happy hunting!

·
Registered
12 Posts
There's one last, and very important thing you need to remember about Warhammer 40k. There is more then one way to play it. Some people try to make the most competitive armies that they can; fluff, play style and modeling be damned. You don't need to to this to have fun in 40k, or even to win! You will probably enjoy and army you like much more then a 'win at all costs' army.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Something I don't like in my troops is rocket launchers. You're limited to shooting the nearest enemy (without a morale check), so you can't always shoot how you'd like to. I guess firing template rockets into a squad you're going to charge can be handy, but you can often just flame them anyway. That's just my personal choice, anyway.

Your results might vary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts