Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I'm considering building a custom Eldar HQ that would basically be a Shining Spear Phoenix Lord. I know that there's some stuff in some older codices about one guy who used to ride a Vyper Jetbike heavily modified, carried the Celestial Lance... I was thinking about doing something based around him.

Basically this would be the Eldar equivalent of Sammael of the Dark Angels. He doesn't need to make Spears into Troops, since no PL does that in the Eldar Codex, but I'd like something bigger and badder than the traditional Shining Spear Exarch.

Based on everything, we're looking at the following so far at least...

WS 7 BS 7 S 4 T 5 W 4 I 7 A 4 Ld 10 2+

His toughness, of course, is better than most PL because of his mount. Based on how most PLs work, he should also have Disarming Strike, Hit & Run, and Monster Hunter (the three choices an SS Exarch gets).

From there we need to customize him a bit above and beyond a basic Exarch. I had considered the Celestial Lance, or something like it, but that's already been used in the Iyanden Supplement, so he needs his own weapon. I also wanted to use something better than just Shuripults, or even a Shuricannon, since he is riding around on a modified Vyper. If he has a decent ranged cannon (again, thinking like Sammael's plasma cannon), he only needs a melee weapon, and not a Laser Lance with a firing profile.

All PLs also automatically get a Warlord Trait.

Finally, in the vein of all PLs, he needs one special rule as well. Possibly only 2 Exarch powers and one power of his own. Does that sound about right?

I'll take any suggestions for just about anything involved here, honestly.

My first thought was to make him 200 points. He would get Falcon's Swiftness for a Warlord trait, but allow it to apply to any Jetbikes using their assault move. I was thinking a Starcannon or similar as his ranged weapon. I'm not sure what sort of Lance to give him... S+2 AP2?

Help!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
The old Nuadhu Fireheart is the guy I think your thinking of.

He rode a Vyper named Alean rather than a jet-bike and he just had a power spear rather than any named gear. He could only join guardian jetbikes though rather than spears. Imrik the old High elf dragon rider was the one armed with the celestial lance

He was Fearless, never feel back and could not be pinned. so could add that. He only had a shiricannon, which I think is more than good in terms of weapons.

I do think that a 2+ save combined with jink and T5 is a bit much for his points

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All Phoenix Lords are T4 and 2+ armor by default, the jink and the T5 comes from having a bink in general.

The Celestial Lance was the weapon currently listed in the Iyanden Supplement, and is described as the weapon of the old Spear PL... Dohasta, or something like that. Nuadhu wasn't a PL, just a special character on a bike.

Can't be Pinned and cant Fall Back is all part of Fearless, so that's just one rule really. I suppose a Shuricannon is enough firepower, but all the other PLs have something special for their armament. So I'd probably go with either a special ranged, or a special lance for him.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the Celestial Lance. I could use that, but I was trying to basically pick something that wasn't in a book already... seemed weak to create a character that didn't already have something.

On the other hand, I could use that Lance, so what I would basically need is the BASE cost of a Phoenix Lord's statlines... then I could just give it all the wargear/upgrades as if it was a better than normal Autarch.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've given this one some more thought, because I'm considering a highly-homebrewed Saim Hann craftworld force.

230 pts

WS 7 BS 7 S 4 T 5 W 4 I 7 A 4 Ld 10

Phoenix Armor, Celestial Lance (from Iyanden Supplement)
Skilled Rider, Hit & Run, Monster Hunter
Warlord Trait: Falcon's Swiftness. Note that this can be applied to any Eldar Jetbike during their assault phase movement.

Must choose one of the following:

May purchase an Eldar Jetbike for +20 pts. This Jetbike has a Shuriken Cannon, and deals D3 Hammer of Wrath hits.

May purchase a Starcutter Chariot for +60 points. (See other entry in the Homebrews section) This Starcutter may then purchase any available upgrades as per normal.

Alright... hit me! What do people think? Does he need more? Less? Too expensive? Not enough?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts