Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now the necrons are just ridiculous how do i deal with an army rolling with around 40 warriors with a necron lord with a ressurection orb the nightbringer 2 monoliths 3 destroyers and a tomb spider.. i rock an CSM army without giving my army list what are your recommendations for me to take down such a formiddable force or at least how to neutralize it and keep it at bay i when i play usually rock at least 5-6 lascannons so what should i do as in tactics and warfare!

·
Registered
287 Posts
My first suggestion has nothing to do with strategy, and everything to do with learning to use punctuation. Your post was about as tough to read as the Necron list is to crack.

Second, it is difficult to give you good strategy advice when we don't know what you roll. Posting a list can be helpful.

Over-all, the key to cracking any Necron list is to Kill as many models with the Necron rule as you can. Try the following things:

1. Try and spank the warrior squads in assault. That includes the Lords squad. A few squads of Berserkers or even Vanilla CSM should be able to win the assault. The idea is to sweeping advance the squads, so they can't get WBB or get ported out by the monolith. The trick is to apply enough force to kill about half the Warrior squad, so you can have a very good chance of sweeping 5-6 models right off the table. Not enough force, and they just get ported out of CC and get a free WBB attempt. Too much force, and all the models get to use WBB because of the Tomb Spider, Orb, and Monoliths.

2. Try and crack the Monoliths and the Tomb Spider. Killing either will reduce his ability to WBB, and increase your ability to force a phase-out victory. Dedicated anti-tank weapons, in your case Lascannons, are a must for this. You should be able to kill his Spider without too much trouble. A Monolith is tougher, but not impossible. Regardless, if the Spider and a 'lith drop, ignore the last one and start shooting Warriors with your Lascannons.

3. Gank the Lord! His Res Orb is the only thing that keeps power weapons and Instant-Death class shooting from permanently knocking out whatever warriors you kill (though the Spider may as well, no Necron codex on me to confirm). Regardless, if he drops, phase out becomes much easier.

4. Ignore the Nightbringer entirely. Trying to kill him will just divert resources that should be placed upon cracking warriors. If you need to sacrifice a squad to keep him away from a heavy weapon squad, do so.

Hope this helps. Things like Lascannons, Defiler Battle Cannons, Melta-guns, and Power-fists are all useful. Oblit's are very useful, seeing as how they can have many High-Strength weapon options.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i also have a freind who uses necrons and use CD. i find the easiest way to defeat necrons is to tie them up in combat using lots of power weapons or armour negating rules such as power swords ect. if they have a lord try to take him down while he is away from the bulk of the necron warriors as this will yet again make them suspectible to to ID and PW/PF

·
Registered
271 Posts
Maybe stick a plague marine squad on the Nightbringer, they should hold him for a turn or two. Also if your having trouble with the lord I would recomend a defiler charge. Dont personally play CSM but I have seen this work, made a mess out of the lord. :p

Sniper

·
Registered
325 Posts
Phase out is what you've got to pull off, if 2/3 of the guys with necron rule die it's over, so if you kill 27 of the warriors you're done. Taking out the Lord, the Spider and a Monolith is important to make it harder for him to get his WBB.
Try to keep the Nightbringer out of the battle as much as possible he is damn annoying and like impossible to beat.
Take as much PW's/PK's and low AP shooting weapons as possible.

Srry i am not a CSM player so can't help you very much.

·
Registered
854 Posts
don't shoot liths. Don't shoot nightbringer. Kill all the "necron" models, phase out, win on turn 4. Don't even try tying up the nightbringer in assault, either, as he can kill anything in your codex in one turn save big infantry squads (of anything) a daemon prince, or abaddon. Oh, and typhus has a decent shot of killing him in one-on-one before he gets pwned, but don't count on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Maybe stick a plague marine squad on the Nightbringer, they should hold him for a turn or two. Also if your having trouble with the lord I would recomend a defiler charge. Dont personally play CSM but I have seen this work, made a mess out of the lord. :p

Sniper
loving the advice

·
Registered
3,648 Posts

Sniper
Just wondering, what type of plague marine could hold up the Nightbringer? He would kill the whole unit in a single turn.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As above: Plague Marine tarpitting with FNP (if I remember correctly) is great and all, but it doesn't work against attacks which ignore saves, like C'tan (X).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts