Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to paint my space marines by using a desert color scheme but I dont have any idea of what paints to use. I dont want my marines to be brown I want more of a dark yellow although i hate working with yellow paints. If anyone has or a had a desert themed army (it doesn't have to be SMs) please post pics.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Tausept Ochre, Bleached bone, Tanned Flesh and Desert Yellow are a few good desert scheme colours.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Try looking at some of the other ranges of model paints: Tamiya, Vallejo, even good old Humbrol or Revell.

Might I suggest WW2 Afrika Korps Sand Gelb (desert yellow) or the Luftwaffe equivalent? You might want to look at German Mittelsand (middle yellow) too. There's a lot of inspiration in WW2 colour scheme books if you fancy a camo pattern.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi

I suggest that you use Iyaden Darksun from the Games workshop foundation paint range as a base coat. It will cover the model nicely and give you a good base to start from.

Secondly, use Desert Yellow for a lighter highlight. You will see that the paint now moves from a yellow undertone, to a more sandy color undertone.

Thirdly, you can use a chestnut ink wash, to darken the deepest areas

Lastly, use Bleached Bone for the final highlight.

Regards

Orffer

·
Registered
784 Posts
I agree with aardvark, go with Tamiya they have a nice military color paint line and they are water based. Look at some military photos of armor deployed in the current Middle East or the North African Front during WW II for some good references.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts