Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i really really need your help. ive been playing 40k for about 5 years now and have always played a fluffy fun list that wasnt designed just to win. But after a horrific losing streak i would love a win once in a while. so my question is, how does one build a competitive space marine list? i have atleast one of every unit in the codex (beside special characters) so feel free to throw any ideas out. Thank you so much for your time and help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
How big should the list be point-wise?

I'd sugget Terminators in Land Raiders. The Land Raider can soften up those genestealers and what-not, especially a Redeemer, as the Flamestorm Cannon rules. A S6 AP3 weapon that doesn't need to roll to hit. Anything average toughness (T4) without an invulnerable save or multiple wounds will be killed on a 2+. They'll cost a bomb of points, but the Raider has the assault vehicle special rule; which allows the occupants to assualt the turn they disembark, throwing your completly unharmed Termies straight into combat. Yes, I really am advising to assault the 'nids, it's a case of charge or be charged. If you go with the lightning claw variants, you'll get re-rolls to wound, ignore armour saves and still keep your base initiative of 4. As they come in pairs, you'll get an extra attack, making 2 base, +1 for the pair, +1 for charging making 4 attacks each, or 20 for a squad of 5 Terminators.

I'd also suggest a big load of Tactical Squads. These are durable and versatile and can be kept back to hold objectives, whilst the enemy tries to deal with the more threatning parts of your army. Take advantage of the free weapon upgrades (Flamer and Missile Launcher). The Flamer is good for dealing with weaker, more numerous enemies, ie Gaunts, Rippers, whereas the Missile Launcher can help deal with the big beasties like Carnifexes and Hive Tyrants. The more of these squads the better, as they are the mainstay of the Space Marines force and are key in objective games, as they are Troops.

In terms of HQ, it really up to what you want the HQ to do to support the army. If yoou were to go with the Terminator idea, Marneus Calgar or Lysander would be a good choice to support the squad, as both come with a rock-hard statline and tons of special gadgetry and rules. Another idea would be to use Vulkan He'staan (don't know if that's spelt right). He is very helpful, as he allows all template and melta weaponry in the army to count as twin-linked. With template weapons that means a re-roll to wound. Flamestorm Cannons... you get the picture... if you don't, it's a steaming pile of charred 'nid corpses.

As to other units, thats sort of down to how big you want the army to be, as I said before, the above ideas will cost many a pointage. I've found this to work nicely in 2,000pt list as you can really max out on Raiders and Termies to overwhelm the enemy. This is just my personal experience and you are perfectly entitled to think my ideas are rubbish, however I hope that this may help you in ending your loss-streak and starting a winning one. :>

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Hey, I wrote an article about SM list building here
- Or just check my Sig...

Also, I think the poster above is giving bad advice for the most part... Terminators are typically not that competative (though in the article above I give an example of how to run a single rock list) Also, special characters should have a list built around them... not just thrown in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Everyone has their own opinions and gaming styles. This is only my experience of what i've found to work well, and you are perfectrly entitled to ignore my advice completly.

·
Registered
147 Posts
theres a few sites worth checking for inspiration http://kirbysblog-ic.blogspot.com/ is one of them. as for developing an army list thatll win games theres nothing rong with keeping it Fluffy too, just aslong as you keep to a specific flavour, I use a Fully mech list, i have a variation of it knocking around on hear.

There are some real stand out units, such as the Standard librarian, the bloke is just evil, Vulkan is also good, but to get the best from him you need to taylor your army to that end.

Ask yourself what style of army you want to use then we can help you further.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Wait, I thought it was ruled that flamestorm cannons do not benefit from Vulkan's special rule?

In regards to what your asking imperialdudes, the best advice many people will be able to give you comes after you have an idea of what you want to use. Even some competative lists start with the player wanting to make use of something (most of the time anyway.)

So what do you want to try and make use of in your list?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well id really like to use something that can kill tyranids in a 2500 point game seeing as the only person who plays and lives near me plays nids. Also would love it if there was a way to include calgar in a list, or is he just not competitive enough?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Calgar is tough as nails yes but im not keen, he is an expensive model and doesnt allow access to command squads, i think you'd be better off with a non special captain, and or a Libby.

As for unit selection Rifle dreads are brilliant, 4 str 7 ap 4 tl shots each are solid gold (they shread Hive guard) killing the big stuff should be straight forward, Auto/lass preads are good at this, as are Plasma command squads, Tac squads of course but mech them up, 5 men in Lass/plasma backs or 10 in rhinos. getting a couple of heavy flamers is always handy for bug removal, these are always nice attached to a speeder.

TH/ss terminators cause problems, just dont let em get bogged down buy gaunts as they will get ripped to peices, because of the massive ammount of saves you'll need to make.

That any help?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone, this is been a ton of help. And for heavy support which unit is worth its points and which isnt? 1 person i know swears by the vindicator and other doesnt like it at all. And what about devastator squads?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, I was wrong about the Flamestorm Cannon, it can't count as Twin-Linked due to Vulkan being there, a good lesson in knowing the rules inside out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts