Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, this post is very long as I explain what I plan on doing with the units as well as what I am trying to beat in this specific match. If you don't wish to read it all then the list is supplied early and the jist is that I need to beat 2 helldrakes and possibly a 3rd flier. I need a dedicated disruption unit to take out a quadgun operator and I need some sweet CC units to wipe out troops. Thanks :)

Alright, so lately I have been playing my DA against a friend of mine with BA allies and I keep getting tabled. I've decided to bust out my Tyranids again and try their luck (I was always better with my Tyranids anyway). Last time we played I tabled him with my nids but that was before the new Chaos codex. Now my biggest problem against his lists are his two helldrakes and so I need help designing a list that will be able to take out his 2 fliers and possibly a third flier (either a daemon prince, a guard vendetta, or a necron flier). I have not played against Necrons in 6th so I am unfamiliar with their power. Regardless, this is what I have so far.

HQ
------
Flyrant - 260 wings, 2x brain-leech devourers - roll on Biomancy

Now, I have only used the flying tyrant once before and it got shot down fast by a Tau gunline. I hate sinking so many points into one unit, let alone 2 and I almost always play a Tyranid Prime as my HQ. So what are everyone's thoughts on running 2 flying tyrants? I feel it may be necessary to run them in pairs to create a much larger threat and a variety of targets. This is my thoughts on most MCs in general. I would start them out in Gliding mode. Then on turn 2, switch to swooping.

Troops
---------
Termagaunts (15) - 75
Termagaunts (15) - 75
Tervigon - 185 Toxin Sacs, Catalyst - trade out dominion for either biomancy or telepathy?
Tervigon - 185 Toxin Sacs, Catalyst - trade out dominion for either biomancy or telepathy?

Elites
--------
Hive Guard (3) - 150
Hive Guard (3) - 150

That adds up to 1380. Now usually I run a squad of genestealers or 2 with a broodlord, 2 trygons, zoanthropes, or sometimes Biovores. However, I feel adding in a single trygon means I have too few units on the board. Additionally, I like fielding 2 trygons as I feel 1 dies too fast but having 2 on the board plus all the other threats usually means I get both to combat and do some major damage. I am tempted to do 2 10 man squads of genestealers that infiltrate to get his back units. Though I hate they can no longer charge turn 1. Zoanthropes I do not feel the need for this game. I have considered ymgarl stealers to get his back units, especially as they can still assault the turn they come in. I'm not married to the tervigons but for the last 2 years I have ran almost always 2x tervigons, 2 trygons, genestealers, and a prime and have done really well. So I have a hard time not imagining them in the list.

Basically until his helldrakes come on his longest range gun is a quadgun from a defense line. I need that gun gone or the units inside of it gone. That is where the ymgarl stealers come on. Or possibly the doom? The rest of his army almost always consists of cultists (near the line or operating the quadgun), a thousand sons squad, an HQ with MoT, a khorne marked CSM squad, a havoc squad, and rhinos for all with meltaguns on everything that can take one. Additionally, he doesn't use bolters. Which gives me a great edge as his threat range is vastly reduced to 12 inches (besides the T-sons).

The idea is to use Hive Guard and Tyrants to take out the rhinos as best I can on turn 1. This will leave his army footslogging. I will most likely have to weather the quadgun for at least a turn or 2, hopefully not longer - its priority #2. Then the flyrants go to swooping mode and hunt those helldrakes or those tasty marines. Tervigons and Termagaunts go for objectives and smash through infantry. Hive Guard after the rhinos are toast and they move forward will focus on the units in the defense line (if they are still around), the quad gun, or just shoot at marines. T-Sons will also be a priority over most other units as they have the furthest threat range. With the Havoc rhino also needing to be popped first as they are armed with 4xmelta and a combi-melta which could really hurt a tervigon.

All of this could change depending on if he allies with necrons. I am not too worried about guard allied.

If my third elite section does not get filled with a disruption unit then I will take 3 squads of 2 hive guard :)

I am on edge about the flying tyrants but I see no other way to take out his possible 3 fliers.

Please let me know what you all think and again, sorry for the lengthy post. Just wanted to be very detailed.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Helldrakes will be tought to take out unitl your tyrants get back armour shots. Trust me there. One cron flier isn't a threat. 10 cron fliers are threat. However, 1 vendetta is a threat. Kill that one first.

For the FMC flyrants. The build is good - optimal actually - but usage is wrong. Swoop them turn one. Always. Swoop. Swoop every turn unless you get into assault. If you stop swooping a smart opponent - actually most opponents will capitalize and kill it. SWOOP! They are arguably the best way to build our best HQ choice in 6th, so good job there.

For your tervigons - you cannot switch out just one power. It is all or nothing. Just buy catalyst and keep it unless you really want biomancy - but catalyst is much better and more reliable IMO. I'd take adrenal glands for rerolls vs marines.

I perfer hive guard in groups of 2. Actually all elites. Lets you pick a new target should you get lucky on the first. Oh - see you already put that.

What to do with the last 370 points:
Maybe a squad of ymgarls. Then you could get a harpy or shrikes. Harpies aren't great but it would add another FMC to deal with in this already saturated market.
Drop a squad of gants to 10 and get 2 trygons with toxin sacs. Footslog then if you want.
Get 2 dakkafexxes or a tfex and a harpy. Maybe add in some biovores to make your list real shooty.

Honestly - solid list using our best units. Not too much to critique. I'd suggest using one of the point fillers above.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Helldrakes will be tought to take out unitl your tyrants get back armour shots. Trust me there. One cron flier isn't a threat. 10 cron fliers are threat. However, 1 vendetta is a threat. Kill that one first.

For the FMC flyrants. The build is good - optimal actually - but usage is wrong. Swoop them turn one. Always. Swoop. Swoop every turn unless you get into assault. If you stop swooping a smart opponent - actually most opponents will capitalize and kill it. SWOOP! They are arguably the best way to build our best HQ choice in 6th, so good job there.

For your tervigons - you cannot switch out just one power. It is all or nothing. Just buy catalyst and keep it unless you really want biomancy - but catalyst is much better and more reliable IMO. I'd take adrenal glands for rerolls vs marines.

I perfer hive guard in groups of 2. Actually all elites. Lets you pick a new target should you get lucky on the first. Oh - see you already put that.

What to do with the last 370 points:
Maybe a squad of ymgarls. Then you could get a harpy or shrikes. Harpies aren't great but it would add another FMC to deal with in this already saturated market.
Drop a squad of gants to 10 and get 2 trygons with toxin sacs. Footslog then if you want.
Get 2 dakkafexxes or a tfex and a harpy. Maybe add in some biovores to make your list real shooty.

Honestly - solid list using our best units. Not too much to critique. I'd suggest using one of the point fillers above.
Can I swoop turn 1? I was under the impression that if I was swooping turn 1 I had to start in reserves. If that is not the case then I will most definitely start on the board and swooping.

I've thought about the harpy but decided since the heavy-venom cannon will not be able to hit the flyers then I would rather just pack 3 more hive guard.

I honestly love dakkafexxes and was considering rocking a squad of them. Would you suggest 2 different squads or one squad with two?

I may go with the two trygons with toxin sacs. The worry there is still that I have almost no units on the board. I'm not used to that but if it is a powerful build in 6th then maybe it is worth a shot.

I was considering as a disruption unit to his his backfield, a squad of devilgaunts in a pod. Possibly 15 to 20. That should be able to tear up what ever is manning his quadgun which really allows my Tyranids to have the better range in shooting. Which is a scary and odd concept.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Give your opponent the first turn if you win the ability to deploy first or second. Having his fliers come on first will allow you to position your FMC's better to gain access to the rear armour of their helldrakes. Deepstrike them in swoop mode when they enter the battlefield right behind the enemy fliers and just ruin them. From personal experience, just recently ive had my flyrant gun down two heldrakes and a necron flier all in the same game just by gaining turn two and the guy im playing make some poor decisions in moving his own fliers.

Once you are behind the fliers you force your opponent to either hover, and take fire from everything on the board, or out run your FMC's giving them more time to shoot the rear of the armour.

As for the rest of the list, personally I'd recommend taking doom and a trygon trio and bringing them in front of the gun line. Its sounds like suicide, but hopefully with doom being in such close proximity your opponent will be forced to divide his fire and pick his poison. Does he shoot doom? Or, does he shoot the Trygons? He he doesn't kill one of the three when his turn comes around he's going to get pasted.

Another idea is to take devilgaunts (devourer wielding beasts). If he is using cultists as the quad gun operator, then drop pod 15 of the little devils in rip infront of them and fire your 75 shots to wipe out the squad. Hell if you can make up the points, take this brood with/instead of a trygon. Your opponent will most likely be on the boards edge anyway, let him try and pass a leadership test on a double 1!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Give your opponent the first turn if you win the ability to deploy first or second. Having his fliers come on first will allow you to position your FMC's better to gain access to the rear armour of their helldrakes. Deepstrike them in swoop mode when they enter the battlefield right behind the enemy fliers and just ruin them. From personal experience, just recently ive had my flyrant gun down two heldrakes and a necron flier all in the same game just by gaining turn two and the guy im playing make some poor decisions in moving his own fliers.

Once you are behind the fliers you force your opponent to either hover, and take fire from everything on the board, or out run your FMC's giving them more time to shoot the rear of the armour.

As for the rest of the list, personally I'd recommend taking doom and a trygon trio and bringing them in front of the gun line. Its sounds like suicide, but hopefully with doom being in such close proximity your opponent will be forced to divide his fire and pick his poison. Does he shoot doom? Or, does he shoot the Trygons? He he doesn't kill one of the three when his turn comes around he's going to get pasted.

Another idea is to take devilgaunts (devourer wielding beasts). If he is using cultists as the quad gun operator, then drop pod 15 of the little devils in rip infront of them and fire your 75 shots to wipe out the squad. Hell if you can make up the points, take this brood with/instead of a trygon. Your opponent will most likely be on the boards edge anyway, let him try and pass a leadership test on a double 1!
Deepstriking the tyrants.... seems ballsy but it might just work. I like it.

The doom and trygon shenanigans might work but it could also just fail horribly. I'll have to think about that one.

I had just mentioned taking devilgaunts and honestly I'm thinking that may be my best option for taking out his rear troops. In a squad of 15 they only get 45 shots though, not 75.

Thanks. More to think about.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Deepstriking the tyrants.... seems ballsy but it might just work. I like it.

The doom and trygon shenanigans might work but it could also just fail horribly. I'll have to think about that one.

I had just mentioned taking devilgaunts and honestly I'm thinking that may be my best option for taking out his rear troops. In a squad of 15 they only get 45 shots though, not 75.

Thanks. More to think about.

Yeh thats a maths fail on my part... but you get the picture!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
i don't deepstrike mine because i like having them as a gun magnet from turn 1. however, i can see as to how that would be useful.

HQ
------

excellent choice

Troops
---------
Termagaunts (15) - 75
Termagaunts (15) - 75
i wouldn't bother with more than 10.
drop the extra power and grab adrenal glands. one turn of rerolling all wounds on marines is worth it. i also suggest telepathy. psychic shrike can be very useful.

Elites
--------
Hive Guard (3) - 150
Hive Guard (3) - 150

to expand this:

trygons (solid and easy to use),

ymargls (place right, they can be game changing),

snot pods/devilguants (pretty plug and play, but i would take ymargls over them),

raveners (amazing, absolutely amazing. also, they won't draw fire if you build your list right),

biovores ( i often run two squads of two and they tear through infantry),

harpies ( more flyers means less shots at other things and they are not bad. used to be a hater, but i am starting to see the use of them),

shrikes with two boneswords, ts, ag (rip through most deathstar units.)

you have a solid start but you will need to be careful in building up.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'd have to disagree only with dropping Catalyst. Any player worth their salt will obliterate Tervigons ASAP. With only a 3+ save to cover them a lot of stuff can deny those saves. Having FNP on your tervigons will make them much more survivable. For example the Heldrake itself can use its flamer to remove a wound while also being about to vector strike away 1+d3 wounds if they specifically target your Tervigons. Once these troops choices are gone you're going to have very little left to hold objectives to win games.

I agree with Loki's other recommendations. They're all spot on!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input.

What about this?

HQ
------

Troops
---------
Termagaunts (10) - 50
Termagaunts (10) - 50
Tervigon - 195 Toxin Sacs, Catalyst, adrenal

Elites
--------
Hive Guard (2) - 100
Hive Guard (2) - 100
Ygarml Stealers (5) - 115

Heavy
-------
Carnifex Brood (2) - 380 dual twin-linked devourers

This is 1705, now I could go over by 5 points (won't be a big deal, its a friendly match), and give the carnifex brood regen. If I alternate who is in front then when they take a wound I just alternate the brood so the back fex can regen? Or I could add a hive guard? Or I could take hive commander?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Thanks for all the input.

What about this?

HQ
------

Troops
---------
Termagaunts (10) - 50
Termagaunts (10) - 50

Elites
--------
Hive Guard (2) - 100
Hive Guard (2) - 100
Ygarml Stealers (5) - 115

Heavy
-------
Carnifex Brood (2) - 380 dual twin-linked devourers

This is 1705, now I could go over by 5 points (won't be a big deal, its a friendly match), and give the carnifex brood regen. If I alternate who is in front then when they take a wound I just alternate the brood so the back fex can regen? Or I could add a hive guard? Or I could take hive commander?
i am a little hesitant about carnifexs. for 20 more points, you could have two trygons, 4 extra wounds, fleet, and honestly a much better model choice. it could be that i know how good and cheap those fexes used to be, but i can't stomach them any more.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i am a little hesitant about carnifexs. for 20 more points, you could have two trygons, 4 extra wounds, fleet, and honestly a much better model choice. it could be that i know how good and cheap those fexes used to be, but i can't stomach them any more.
Yeah, you're right, I kinda forgot about that. That's why I usually field 2 Trygons anyway. I got hooked on the fex as I was talking to someone else and they were talking about a squad of 3 armed that way at 1500 was super-brutal. So I was thinking about that. I will probably just run trygons then. Though their range is a little shorter and harder to hide.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yeah. Dakkafexes are the 2nd best way to run fexes, but are outclassed by tyrants. A tyrant with 2 devs will cost 10 more points but have synapse, have shadow, psychic powers and be hq (can be a + or -). Did I mention the +5 ws? Can also have a 2+ save and become an FMC. I'm honestly thinking take bioplamsa or home - because I can count my Ap2 weapons one one hand. I mean finger. Makes them good anti TEQ/2+ but not hammmernators.

5 ymgarls might be a little light. Maybe switch to trygons with sacs and buy a few more. I don't know what to drop to get them though. They will often be hitting at I1 and a 4+ is not too much protection.

Real solid list. If you were to drop some HG you could get claws on the tervs, upgrade to trygons with sacs and take more ymgarls. Up to you which is better.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Did I mention the +5 ws? Can also have a 2+ save and become an FMC.
can't be both flying and 2+

5 ymgarls might be a little light. Maybe switch to trygons with sacs and buy a few more. I don't know what to drop to get them though. They will often be hitting at I1 and a 4+ is not too much protection.
i usually run 8 and have no issues with the I1 or 4+. they are there for a purpose and that is taking apart the back rows. making them t5 on that first turn makes them very survivable.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I know the can't have armoured shell and wings. I suppose I should've written or there. I was just trying to say it can be more versatile.

I know about the ymgarls - I rum 8-10 too. It just seems like if a melta connects on overwatch you lose one, then maybe one or two to rolling, then you won't blow through stuff like you should. With t5 and a 4+ they are decently survivable, but there are plenty of ap 4 weapons out there and it isn't invincible - ask ork bikers.

So yeah.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the most I would run is 7. Reason being is that often we don't use too much area terrain (for lack there of). Which means I might be trying to fit a brood in a small space.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Rather unconventional choice, but maybe some bonesword+deathspitter warriors?
Podded devilgants would be more reliable and overall better, but you could pod the warriors or even use the trygon's subterranean assault. You would shout when you show up then assault. I'll have to try them out for backfield elimination this weekend.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Rather unconventional choice, but maybe some bonesword+deathspitter warriors?
Podded devilgants would be more reliable and overall better, but you could pod the warriors or even use the trygon's subterranean assault. You would shout when you show up then assault. I'll have to try them out for backfield elimination this weekend.
I have tried it. It can be hit or miss. If you play second, you can make a good choice as to whether it is worth it or not, but if you play first turn, it can turn out badly.

You get a lot more shots with devilgants... a lot more. If you are podding into missiles or anything str 8, you want bodies. vs CSM, you might be dropping on a dev squad equivalent. That would be bad.

·
Registered
495 Posts
True. But havocs will have autocannons - which will ignore your save - but not ID you.

I used to run them all the time but footslogged them with a prime bulletshield. Never did the trygon hole for that very reason.

Of course, you could always go overbaord and take both.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts