Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am playing a nid player last night who is running his 2000 point list in a tournament this weekend.

He has as follows : 6 Zoan's (running in 3 xeno squads), Swarmlord, HIve Tyrant (winged), 6 raveners (1 squad), 2x 30 xeno "outflanking" gaunts, 3x 3 warriors, and a death leaper. Various upgrades to re-roll to hits and some sort of weapons on the warriors... Regardless I can't determine a good counter with space marines.

My list is as follows (Still an army in progress)

1 Calgar (PA)
4 Honor Guard (4 Relic blades, Grenade) (No banner yet)
1 Vulkan
1 Librarian (or Tig)
1 Chaplain (jump pack)
1 Captain (Dual Thunder Hammers and Term armor)
1 Command Squad (4 Plasma pistols, storm shields, 2x claw"s", power weapons)
15 Assault Terminators (13 Thunder Hammers, 2 LC's)
1 Techmarine (Harness, bike)
1 Dread (MM, HF, CC)
1 Drop pod (Deathwind)
2 (10) Tactical squads with PF, MM, Melta
4 (5) Scouts (snipers all around)
1 Tellion upgrade
2 Rhinos (Storm Bolter)
1 (10) Assault squad (TH Sgt)
1 Vindicator (Siege shield)
2 LR Redeemers (MM)
1 (5) Dev (2 las, 2 missile)

The list is still growing and I have more coming but the original army was centered around Vulkan but lacked long range punch... now I'm trying to figure out what to run in a couple days. Any thoughts?

I tried to list in categories and the parenthesis are the number in each squad

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Given your list of models, some that I would take are:

The vindicator.
That pieplate will one hit kill the warriors, the zoanthropes, etc. Guants should not even be able to hurt it.

Librarian
Zoanthropes are no good if they can't use their powers. Psychic hood. Hide in transport if possible.

Assault terrminators in landraiders could work. Lots of points, but you could destroy both the tyrant and the swarmlord with those.

If you could proxy the rhinos as razorbacks, that would be a good place to hide you Tac Squads.

Avoid the scouts.

Not sure what else to suggest. Borrow two more vindicators if you can? Try to get groups of ten Tac marines into rapid fire range for the swarmlord and hive tyrant. Avoid assaulting the swarmlord. Keep mobile and out of range and pepper the crap out of the nids.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Given your list of models, some that I would take are:

The vindicator.
That pieplate will one hit kill the warriors, the zoanthropes, etc. Guants should not even be able to hurt it.

Librarian
Zoanthropes are no good if they can't use their powers. Psychic hood. Hide in transport if possible.

Assault terrminators in landraiders could work. Lots of points, but you could destroy both the tyrant and the swarmlord with those.

If you could proxy the rhinos as razorbacks, that would be a good place to hide you Tac Squads.

Avoid the scouts.

Not sure what else to suggest. Borrow two more vindicators if you can? Try to get groups of ten Tac marines into rapid fire range for the swarmlord and hive tyrant. Avoid assaulting the swarmlord. Keep mobile and out of range and pepper the crap out of the nids.
I agree with all except he is using the deathleaper to nerf my librarian leadership and make his psychic hood and powers useless... :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
as a nid player, i can tell you that his list is pretty vulnerable. and vanilla SM is my first army.

i would go all melta+ML on your tacticals. the krak missle's S8 AP3 will own everything he has. yes, focus some fire on death leaper but use your firepower to advantage. you can sit and let him come to you and just punish him. also, vanilla terminators (with a cyclone ML on one too if you have one!) shoot lots of S4 AP5 shots at 24 inches and just punishes nids. the S8 unsavable PF follow up when they come for you = lose lose for nids.

and shoot the swarmlord to bits the second he shows his face. as soon as he isn't hiding behind something and whamo. he has no invulnerable save from shooting attacks.

just sit and let him come to you, or move in a slow advance and shoot as much from 24 inches plus away and he will be sad. just fire 8-10 krak missles and lascannon and then addition meltaguns when close. all that S8 and AP will make it a short game.

also, his raveners get no armor save from your boltguns when they are in open ground. if the deepstrike in or run up, dakka dakka dakka.

anyhoo, i feel dirty having said all this. good luck.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I agree with all except he is using the deathleaper to nerf my librarian leadership and make his psychic hood and powers useless... :(
It could go either way depending on his roll. Zoanthorpes are kind of scary, but with six, that is 360pts if he doesn't use droppods. Use you dev squads, laser, plasma weapons, etc. Pepper the crap out of them. At best, they have a 24" shot. Also, don't let the hormagaunts get the charge or if they do, have a hammer unit nearby to destroy them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so played a Chaos player last weekend who gave me some real trouble. My list hasn't grown much except that I have now added an additional 10 Sternguard, and Pedro, and 2 razorbacks w/ lascannons, and a predator with lascannons all around

I used two combat squads of sternguard and added the one las cannon guy (from dev's) to each group and then ran pedro, the librarian, and 5 assault terminators in one LRR, 5 assault terminators in the other, dedicated razors for each stern squad, rhino's for the 10 man tacs, a techmarine, and the vindicator. (I know there is an extra elite even if you combat squad the terms and put them in each land raider, he let it slide)

He basically ran 6 oblits (two squads of three), a demon prince, 2 rhinos filled with CSM, a land raider (basic pattern, twin las) w/ abbadon and however many beserkers he could fit, a chaos dread, and then a third rhino that set on the objective with 6 plague marines. Long story short I popped both rhino's and he had to assault out of the land raider with the warsmith but I simply could not put his guy down. In fact at one point Abby slaughtered 4 terminators (all failed armor saves) before they even got to hit back.

Any suggestions on an actual counter list for his army? I simply could not hurt abbadon, he killed a tac squad, terminators, and all the sternguard and only took one wound and lost all of his berserkers.

FYI we ended up tying because I rushed the techmarine over and he saved every cover save and armor save like a champ and contested his objective (we were playing "bases")

·
Registered
468 Posts
for the 'don put some sacrificial unit infront of him and let him and his unit charge it and wipe the unit out leaving him open to shooting, cast nullzone then thin out the zerkers as much as possible. Pile every low-mid str 4-6 shot you have (bolters, flamers, H. bolter etc) if needed but those LLR should rip the zerkers apart and leave abaddon on his own. Once abaddon is on his own any ap2 weapons you have left should finish him off.

Edit: i can't stress how important that nullzone is however so makesure you don't forget it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts