Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am entering a small tournament of 1000 points and I am building my first ever Chaos list.

My list is lacking long range firepower and i wanted some advice.

I have freed up about 120 points and looking to fill it with one of the following:

- Chaos Predator
- Havoc's with auto-cannons
- Shooty Defiler

Which is the best for long range firepower or is there an alternative i'm missing, any feedback or advice is appreciated

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
well any unit should be taken taking into account what the rest of the list is..so... whats your list?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well any unit should be taken taking into account what the rest of the list is..so... whats your list?
good point

HQ
Chaos Lord on Bike
Gift of Mutation
Mark Nurgle
Power Claw

Troop
10 marines
2 plasma and plasma pist. on champion
Rhino
Icon of Veng.
VotLW

Troop
10 marines
2 meltas
champion has power axe
Rhino
Icon of Veng.
VotLW

fast
4 bikes
x2 meltas
Mark of Nurgle

heavy
maulerfiend
lasher tendrils

SPARE points
approx 120-130

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
good point

HQ
Chaos Lord on Bike
Gift of Mutation
Mark Nurgle
Power Claw

Troop
10 marines
2 plasma and plasma pist. on champion
Rhino
Icon of Veng.
VotLW

Troop
10 marines
2 meltas
champion has power axe
Rhino
Icon of Veng.
VotLW

fast
4 bikes
x2 meltas
Mark of Nurgle

heavy
maulerfiend
lasher tendrils

SPARE points
approx 120-130
Well, it seems you have some good basis here.
The list can be ok, if you plan to run a friendly competition.
HOWEVER if you want to chew your opponent's marrow...your list need some tweak.

It is general consensus (and my experience too) that gift of mutation is not reliable, nor useful enough. if it happens in game, fine, to pay for it...no thanks. Real men don't pay for mutations. :nono:

Plasma pistols...gee...really not worthy if you have other options like say, combi plasmagun. Pistol shoot at 12" one shot. How often do you hope to shoot at that range? once or twice per game? Plasmagun shoots once per game but at 12" SHOOTS TWICE! So, you maximise your unreliable number of uses. also, if needed be, your guy can still shoot at 24"! also, costs less and when the plasma is spent the bolter still can shoot as usual. can't beat that! So, imo, swap pistols for combiplasma

Veteran of the long war is good for 2 things: adding +1 to Ld and pummeling marines in melee. Since you already have the icon of vengeance, the Ld boost is useless. Since you plan to shoot with the plasma unit, they don't need the Vet upgrade.

In the meantime, the "melee" unit...sometimes you might want to flee from some bad fight. I'd remove the banner of vengeance (they are still at Ld 9-10 and get hate for marines, cool!) but add meltabombs to the champion. Also, remember to swap their bolters for melee weapons, or to buy them with the banner spared points! (also, consider mark of khorne for a fair attack output)

The rest can be good, but i'd give the lord sigils of corruption, or he's going to die, trust me. Also, you have no way to deal with 2+ saves in melee...maybe a powersword / power axe combo could be useful (or fist / claw better still)

About the spare points you have...i don't think you really need any long range support. Your army has 3 melee units (lord+ bikes, maulerfiend, melta marines) out of 4 total units. I'd say, capitalize on melee. Take 4 spawns and rush forward or another maulerfiend!

That's how i see it. If you really want long range...consider 2 obliterators, for advancing support to follow your wave and gradually improve said heavy fire (nearer the obliterator, greater the firepower)

What do you think?
GLORY TO CHAOS!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is actually some really good advice.

I'm new to chaos and it is good to have some feed back that isn't saying how rubbish I am at building a list :)

I did toy with the idea of bringing some spawns and by removing the banners and swapping some weapons I've probably freed another 50points

Thanks very much

:)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
it is good to have some feed back that isn't saying how rubbish I am at building a list
people who claim they are the best at list building are almost always "internet-listers" :wink:

Also, as i said, your list is not bad at all. Just some mechanical redundance (Votl and Banner) here and there, but pretty good.

I truly respect the fact that you bring marines instead of cultists :eek:k:
glad to help! CRUSH THEM ALL!!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Another suggestion is to split the plasma squad in to 2 five man squads with a plasma and rhino with a havoc launcher each (137). This would give your opponent something to think about.
For some heavy support I would go with either havocs or obliteraters. Two units of one obliterater is a tough nut to crack at a 1000 points.
The trick of chaos is flexibility !
Go reap some skulls. .....

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Another suggestion is to split the plasma squad in to 2 five man squads with a plasma and rhino with a havoc launcher each (137). This would give your opponent something to think about.
sound advice. if you find the points, that would be great.

·
Registered
866 Posts
sound advice. if you find the points, that would be great.
Àt the moment the plasma squad rolls in at 285, so he could split it as I suggested and still be saving 11 points. And that's a combi on a champ or melta bombs for the lord and the melta champion. That would give you an extra two twin linked s5 blasts.
Now personally I would swap the banner on the melta squad for a SIG on the lord.
But if not that's is still cool, but I would take an unmarked oblit or two.
Hope it helps...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Àt the moment the plasma squad rolls in at 285, so he could split it as I suggested and still be saving 11 points. And that's a combi on a champ or melta bombs for the lord and the melta champion. That would give you an extra two twin linked s5 blasts.
Now personally I would swap the banner on the melta squad for a SIG on the lord.
But if not that's is still cool, but I would take an unmarked oblit or two.
Hope it helps...
I did consider splitting the squads into x4 5's but it costs an extra 40points doing this. as it's 75points for 5 man squad and 65 to add 5 additional marines. I'm guessing the extra 10points is for the champion

·
Registered
866 Posts
I would definitely keep the 10 man melta squad and then split the plasma squad as I suggested.
Maybe as nef suggested swap the banner for a MoK then they can gain some attacks on the charge or taking one. A major bonus for the axe champion.
I will expand on my choice with the plasma squad, yes its 10 more points for the champ but with the extra rhino access you gain another durable fire platform. Twice the objective taking capacity and targeting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts