Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, new around here. :victory:

Anyway my brother and I have started playing Warhammer 40k. I have a Tau army and he has Tyranids, the thing is, he always beats me (I would like to beat him sometimes :grin:) I need some help with my tactics and hopefully with them I can try to eliminate his forces. Some help with spending wargear and weapons would be appreciated.

What I have:

1 Fire warrior squad
1 Hammerhead w/ railgun
1 Devilfish
3 Battle suits
2 Stealth Suits
16 Kroot with 2 hounds
5 Pathfinders (rail rifles)

and a few gundrones.

What he has:

3 Warriors (1 usually prime)
1 Carnifex
2 Termagaunt broods (some have devourers, spinefists and fleshborers)
1 Hormagaunt brood
6 Ripper broods (6 bases)
1 Genestealer brood
1 Venomthrope

and a few spore mines.

Thanks guys, hope you can help! :eek:k:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I won't claim to be an expert on either army but here are some ideas:

Kill anything that gives the hive mind thing to the lesser nids, without it they will be in trouble.

Drop firewarriors behind the devilfish. They can shoot underneath it as it hovers, while the nids have to charge around it because they can't come within 1 inch of the transport without having to attack it instead of your guys.

Stealthsuits blasting away with 3 shot's each then jumping behind cover with jetpacks could do well, especially if you keep them kind of far away with the stealth rule

Template weapons are your friend. Submunitions on the railgun, Cyclic Ion blaster (hope thats the right one but it might be the other special issue weapon) etc. Flamers could be good but getting that close to nids probably isn't going to be fun.

almost forgot - my memory is hazy but flechette launchers seem to be popping into my mind so check out their abilities in your codex.

all in all, try and focus your fire with multiple units on one target at a time. The dice gods can be your friends- or they could laugh at you

I assume you aren't using the legit rules, instead you are getting a feel for the units as some of you minimum unit sizes are being ignored.

·
Registered
201 Posts
only 1 MC
just pulse rifle him down
just use a lot of rapid fire...

o and you can use your kroot as speed bumps..
or defend 1 of your flanks with them against outflanking of the genestealers

·
Registered
331 Posts
Unless you missed something, he doesn't have an HQ so his list is illegal. I'm gonna assume one of those Crisis Suits is a Shas'el/O so you should be straight.

Aside from that. It's all about prioritizing your targets. The Carnifex really shouldn't be a problem, it's slow. Kit your stealth suits with fusion guns, mow it down and then jump behind cover. If that doesn't kill it all the way just throw a railgun his way. Your superior range on Fire Warriors should more than be able to handle the gaunts. If they get too close, Kroot will be a good combat buffer allowing your FWs to fall back to a better position.

The same goes for the stealers try not to allow them to get close, cuz I'm pretty sure you know what that means. If they're available throw your Kroot at them as well. They'll die but IMO Kroot are sacrificial anyways, because frankly they are a terrible unit. Just JSJ with the Crisis Suits and the stealers will fall quite easily.

As for the single thrope, you'll be able to laugh as you knock it off from 2-3 feet away.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, one of my battlesuits are a shas'el. Good tips :). I want to get commander o'shovah later on. Hopefully he can help me win more often.
And last week i got 3 pathfinders, and my brother got a warrior pack.

He usually makes one a prime, which is a bit of a pain sometimes...

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
As an aside you can't just make one of your three warriors a Prime, if you want to field a Prime and 3 warriors you will need 4 Warriors.

Run and Gun is really your best bet, keep him at the extent of your range and shoot him down, don't be tempted to try and close the distance. If he's 18" away you could move forward to try and rapid fire, but that means you're now in easy charge range, instead be cautious, move back so he cannot reach you and shoot him. Your crisis suits can always move in the Assault phase, make use of this to keep them out of harms way. Always finish off units even if it means over killing it. Blowing away Half his Stealers and Half his hormuguants is not as good as blowing away all the Stealers or Gaunts. If one of your units does get caught in CC, leave it to die if you try to support it you're playing into his hands, hopefully it will get wiped out in his turn and allow you to shoot at them.

Aramoro

·
Registered
21 Posts
Even if his list is "illegal" I'm guessing it's a friendly game between brothers and the only thing they'll really care about is that the points match up :p

Anyway, problems with fighting nids. He can deploy spore mines in your deployment zone, and if he's lucky, can cut off your ability to deploy you guys where you want too.

I think the only Synapse creature he has are his warriors.... So he'll need to keep those within 12" of his units. If they drift too far away, he'll have to roll for "instincvtive behaviour" at the start of every turn.

I think everything except for the stealers (and maybe the venomthorpe) will suffer from that. And he won't be able to move them where he wants to... then just sit back and blast him :p

You need to make sure he's playing by the rules though, I could overlook a guy not having a HQ choice, like a friend who buys a battleforce box set for the nids. but I would never let them disregard Synapse.... This is a major weakness of the nids, that all his units will have to be covered by :D

Also, if you can take out his stealers and his carnifex, I don't think he has anything that can take out your hammerhead... Maybe if he's got a warrior prime or a warrior with some lucky rolls in CC... but like I said, if you take those out first, most of his guys should be running around like headless chickens :p

If you have any questions about specific units I'd be happy to help out with what I've found their strengths and weaknesses to be :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm a huge Tyranid player well over 8k and 3 years of games under my belt. Tau don't do well against tyranids from what i've seen, lucky for you there's an easy fix.

-railgun is your friend, drop the submunition on the genestealers ASAP
-plasma the warriors with the suite teams (this wont save you by getting rid of synapse, hormos and carni still will run at you with feed)
-use fire warriors to force carnifex saves
-use the kroot to slow down the hormogaunts.
-keep in mind what pathfinders do, the stealthsuits with tons of gun drones against gaunts will do you wonders.
-missile pods on crisis suits then plasma, best ant-warrior/carnifex

From a Tyranid player that's the only way I can see being beaten, GL it will be a tough game but it'll happen.
-a good rule is that swarms take double wounds from template weapons, use the submunition on the rippers. They may look small but that's 18 wounds and tons of attacks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the tips guys!
But there's one thing that's going to happen soon...

My brothers birthday is coming. You know what that means!
He is planning on getting:

1 Hive Tyrant
1 Mawloc
2 Tyrant Guards
1 Lictor
2 Zoanthropes :shok:

I have a bad feeling about this. After he gets these I could lose every game we play. :(
Well, hopefully Commander Farsight could help...

Wish me luck! (he will get them around mid June. Hopefully I'll be ready.)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Use Pathfinders to mark up a unit, then drop the sub on it and remove his cover save.

Use kroot as bubblewrap to protect yourself from assaults. Hide everything behind a wall of kroot.

Get Crisis suits with missile pods and plasma rifles ASAP. They bring the pain against any army, but are particularly useful against Tyranids due to all the shots and AP2 they bring.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
if he's expanding his force, its looks like its time you do the same. Add some more firewarriors into the mix, more crisis suits and some broadsides, plus a second hammerhead or skyray

1 - 12 of 12 Posts