Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've recently decided that I would start using Chaos Space Marines, but after a good bit of research i've seen that they are so many paths to follow! Singular armies that only follow one god are just awesome in my opinion, but then again they have their weaknesses. I've tried making a bunch of mixed army list and i've made some relatively effective ones. They don't last longer than a day 'cause I find something new on another army. So basically what I'm asking for is help on deciding which god to follow if I should follow any in particular.

Could anyone who replies please state:

The Name of the army (Which god they follow : Nurgle, Khorne)-
Strengths and weaknesses of the army -
Why the army is effective and against what-

All replies and advice is much appreciated.

This is one quick 500 PTS army list -

-Khorne Berserker Squad x5 - 161 PTS
- Skull Champion
+ Power Weapon
+ Melta Bombs

-Chaos Space Marine Squad x9 - 210 PTS
-Aspiring Champion
+ combi-Flamer
+ Melta Bombs
- Heavy Bolter
- Lascannon

-Chaos Terminator Lord - 145 PTS
+ Terminator Armor
+ Mark Of Khorne
+ Daemon Weapon

Total = 516 PTS

Strong Points About the Army =
Strong anti-infantry core, easily winning in close combat (Against the small armies I play against) Chaos Space Marine Squad can hold it's own against infantry nearby,Lascannon for that pesky tank.

Weak Areas About the Army =
Is an expensive army, meaning in this case it's quality over quantity.
Not mechanized what so ever, cover is an absolute must. Must quickly
try and swap from cover to cover or risk being targeted. No real form of
getting into close combat, foot slog the whole way. No real anti-tank weaponry
save the Lascannon. Although the armies I will be facing shouldn't be
too tank heavy and mechanized. Apart from the occasional Tau Force.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well I play a Khorne army, I have played Sisters, Nids and strait Chaos but I keep going back to strait Khorne.
The strengths are hand to hand and being fearless, so once you get in combat you just keep hacking your way through.
Where they fall short is in shooting, they have no long range troops (well not if your a stickler for a true Khorne army anyway) you can get regular CSM and give them an IOK but thats not a real Khorne army.

So your firepower has to come from Tanks or Walkers which will work as the main tactic is to lay heavy fire at anything big or dangerous using the vehicles or Terminators and then rush the troops forward and get into CC as fast as possible.
This will work against any troop based army but it does struggle against any tank based army but a few chainfists and meltabombs around the place will sort that out if your vehicles can't. But your vehicles should be set up just to deal with enemy vehicles, as you have a big hand to hand advantage and want to get your troops into it asap.

Landraiders are a big thing in a Khorne army as they will get your troops where they need to be, let them charge (your new number one goal in life) and then get in a shoot out with any other tank in the game.

Terminators are another big thing, either arm them with LC's and a PF or two and a HF load them in a landraider and set forth, or set them up to shoot at range add a Reaper and send them to hold objectives. Dreadnoughts are also great for a khorne army and suit the style, set it up either anti tank or anti troop.

Khorne berzerkers are the only troops needed, put them in a Rhino, get them forward fast and set them up in cover to ambush or get in charge range of enemy troops.

Bikes can be good with a couple of PG's as a fast shooting platform for attacking most fast vehicles that tend to have light amour.

A Tank is a must either a predator or Landraider and set it up to take out enemy tanks and MC's

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I play a Khorne army, I have played Sisters, Nids and strait Chaos but I keep going back to strait Khorne.
The strengths are hand to hand and being fearless, so once you get in combat you just keep hacking your way through.
Where they fall short is in shooting, they have no long range troops (well not if your a stickler for a true Khorne army anyway) you can get regular CSM and give them an IOK but thats not a real Khorne army.

So your firepower has to come from Tanks or Walkers which will work as the main tactic is to lay heavy fire at anything big or dangerous using the vehicles or Terminators and then rush the troops forward and get into CC as fast as possible.
This will work against any troop based army but it does struggle against any tank based army but a few chainfists and meltabombs around the place will sort that out if your vehicles can't. But your vehicles should be set up just to deal with enemy vehicles, as you have a big hand to hand advantage and want to get your troops into it asap.

Landraiders are a big thing in a Khorne army as they will get your troops where they need to be, let them charge (your new number one goal in life) and then get in a shoot out with any other tank in the game.

Terminators are another big thing, either arm them with LC's and a PF or two and a HF load them in a landraider and set forth, or set them up to shoot at range add a Reaper and send them to hold objectives. Dreadnoughts are also great for a khorne army and suit the style, set it up either anti tank or anti troop.

Khorne berzerkers are the only troops needed, put them in a Rhino, get them forward fast and set them up in cover to ambush or get in charge range of enemy troops.

Bikes can be good with a couple of PG's as a fast shooting platform for attacking most fast vehicles that tend to have light amour.

A Tank is a must either a predator or Landraider and set it up to take out enemy tanks and MC's
Thanks firstly for being the first one to lend some advice, and thanks for the insight on Khorne. A Khorne army has always been one of my favoured choices, (Slaanesh being the least, though I know very little about Slaanesh) though I do find that having no or very little fire power is very, very annoying. It just means I have to spend more money on buying heavy support, but money isn't an issue anyway. Thanks again :wink:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Well, if you are building a long term, adaptable army, then you will end up with about 2500 - 3000 points of each god and another 2000 or so in undivided and generic units.
Well, I did, anyway. :)

For me, in 5th, Nurgle wins. Remember, young padawan, you win by completing the mission and denying your opponent the ability to do the same. Nurgle is clearly the best choice for both of these roles in 5th.

There are some units in this list that are not considered highly competitive. You decide, but I have won tournaments with it.

DP - MoN, wings, warp time
Sorcerer - MoN, bike, WoC, icon
Summoned Greater Daemon

2 x 7 plague marines w/ pf champ and 2 x melta w/ icon in rhino
1 x 7 plague marines 2 x plasma, rhino w/ havoc
8 summoned lesser daemon

7 bikers - champ, MoN, 2 x melta

2 x oblits
2 x oblits

That is 1950ish - I run it at 2k

I use 7 plaguebearers and a fleshhound converted to nurgle. I have a nice trick to get a 18"ish charge from the icon out of the daemons when they come in. Bikers protect the sorcerer and deliver the greater daemon.

You have to rush forward fast and hard, but once you get used to running it, it is awesome. A lot of people will say "I would just do this" and such, but I have won a number of tournaments with good players with it. It is so brutal and unorthodox that it works.

Think outside the box and playtest. A lot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, if you are building a long term, adaptable army, then you will end up with about 2500 - 3000 points of each god and another 2000 or so in undivided and generic units.
Well, I did, anyway. :)

For me, in 5th, Nurgle wins. Remember, young padawan, you win by completing the mission and denying your opponent the ability to do the same. Nurgle is clearly the best choice for both of these roles in 5th.

There are some units in this list that are not considered highly competitive. You decide, but I have won tournaments with it.

DP - MoN, wings, warp time
Sorcerer - MoN, bike, WoC, icon
Summoned Greater Daemon

2 x 7 plague marines w/ pf champ and 2 x melta w/ icon in rhino
1 x 7 plague marines 2 x plasma, rhino w/ havoc
8 summoned lesser daemon

7 bikers - champ, MoN, 2 x melta

2 x oblits
2 x oblits

That is 1950ish - I run it at 2k

I use 7 plaguebearers and a fleshhound converted to nurgle. I have a nice trick to get a 18"ish charge from the icon out of the daemons when they come in. Bikers protect the sorcerer and deliver the greater daemon.

You have to rush forward fast and hard, but once you get used to running it, it is awesome. A lot of people will say "I would just do this" and such, but I have won a number of tournaments with good players with it. It is so brutal and unorthodox that it works.

Think outside the box and playtest. A lot.
My name is Inigo Montoya you killed my father, prepare to die. He he. Thanks for the input on Plague marines I was hoping some one would provide me with something on them. Thanks for the list too, i'll be sure to try it out... Some day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts