Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, new to fantasy, did collect 40k years ago. Decided to get back into the hobby.

Im going for a 2000 point army to start off with, just playing for fun and need a good all round army. Also I'm a devout worshiper of Khorne...

Models I already have

24 Warriors, halberds and shields. Musician, Banner of swiftness.
What is the rule for halberds and shields? I thought halberds were 2 handed weapons?
20 marauders flails, light armour.
I will be increasing this unit to 40, or is it worth leaving at 20?
10 warhounds.
I'll take two units of 5 and vanguard. I'm kind of guessing scaly hide and poison is pretty useless.
5 knights, ensorcelled weapons, musician banner of swiftness.
gorebeast chariot.
I just love this model. I'm not leaving home without him.
All units have mark of khorne.

As it stands it is at 1211 points.
I will be getting skullcrushers, equipped with musician, banner of swiftness and enscorcelled weapons. That will bring the points up to 1480pts, or there about.

I would like to get a khorne lord on juggernaut, or should I use him as a exalted hero to save on points? Equipped with a halberd. Strength 6. Talisman of preservation. soul feeder.

Is it worth increasing the knight size to 10?

I know its a lot of questions, and I apologize if I have asked any obvious questions. Open to criticism. Thankyou

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Something I forgot to mention

Just thought I should mention I'm not a big fan of monsters. I like the warrior look :grin: Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
Welcome to the awesomeness that is Chaos!!! ... :p

Anywho!! ... For starters, you cannot take the Banner of Swiftness on 3 units. You are only allowed to use a specific magic banner once per army. So, it will either go on the warriors, the knights, or the crushers. That being said:

1) Warriors - Pretty typical build. Halberds and shields can be taken together. You are correct in that halberds are 2-handed weapons which means that you cannot use the shields in HtH. They will only ever help against shooting. I always take shields but I face a lot of shooting.

2) 2 units of 5 hounds w/ Vanguard - perfect. Remember, the move is optional. Again, I use it a lot as I face a lot of warmachines. Poison is ok. Scaly skin ... yeah, useless. There's just to many things that will ignore that 6+ save. Even from chaff units.

3) Marauders. I'm a bit *meh* on them since GW raked them over the coals on cost. I would definitely do a larger unit though. They die to easily. I'd skip the light armor for the same reason you don't take the scaly skin upgrade on hounds.

4) Knights - probably best in smaller units unless you're running a delivery system for a combat lord. Again, 5-6 should usually suffice. If you run crushers as well they will see a lot of the heat instead so the knights should still be able to make it mostly intact.

5) Lord on Jugger - What you listed is pretty standard for one. Should do pretty well if you stick him in a unit of crushers. Just remember that you need a min unit of 5 for a 'Look out, Sir!' roll.

Hope that helped some!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok cool, cheers, thats helped a lot.

I'll take the banner of swiftness on the warriors.
How useful is the Rangers Standard? Equipped to my knights
Razor standard for the skullcrushers, make them more efficient.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
483 Posts
Rangers Standard for the knights can make them a surprise unit. The ability to stick the knights behind a forest for cover from missile fire and then charge through w/o fear of taking dangerous terrain tests can be neat trick. Or to move across a lake or pond on a charge when your opponent thinks his unit is safe from combat can also be fun. Do it more than 2 or 3 times vs the same opponent, though, and it loses the surprise value.

I actually like the Gleaming Pennant for the one time re-roll for any LD test: Panic, Fear, Frenzy, Break Tests ... can be golden. Chaos knights are expensive and having them flee off the field or just get rerouted before they get the chance to do anything, well, it sucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts