Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks i've had this idea floating around in my cerebellum for a little while now and as i've hit a point where my opponents armies combined can't field enough units to match my chaos force in an apocalypse game (seriously last time i had to lend them 3 traitor leman russes to get them even close. Blood angels, Doom wing marines, Tau and IG and i still outnumbered them.) My orks are going to be a loooong project to get back to a state where i am happy with them so i need something to break up all that green and red.

I am thinking of some sort of loyalist group so that if we play some apocalypse again i can lend the units to the goodies.
I've had three ideas but i'm not sure which to go with. One seems to be the clear winner though i'd be interested to see what you think. Bare in mind i'm painting and modelling these for a change, not for competative play. It's more about what is asthetically pleasing.

1: Space marines: i was going to paint the scattering of models which i have laying around up, i have enough for a scout squad and terminator squad.Probabley an attack bike as well. I have a colour scheme for these but i think i would get board of painting yet more marines when my chaos boys are right there waiting for me to add another unit.

2: The 3rd Vengrosian "Warps angels" bikers: This is a bike mounted imperial guard army. i know there are no rules but we have houserules that have been agreed on by my gaming group. I'm not sure what models i would use for the bikes, maybe have a look at the old ww2 models. Bikers will be based on catachans with a few hairy heads and i'lm going to try and get a load of autoguns to replace the lasguns.
Transports will be flatbed trucks (basically ork trukk rules and ww2 troop vehicles without the options and only including twin big shoota).

3: Inquisitor Corleone: So far this one is winning, a witch hunter inquisitor based on the godfather. His inquisitorial stormtroopers will be based on maybe old metal mordians with scupted fedora hats. It' shouldn't be too hard to model plastic lasguns into tommy guns to represents the hellguns. This gives me the option of including Sisters as well which will be soemthing of a change for me as i've never worked on them before.

Which would you go for and can you think of any better way of approaching these projects?

·
Registered
477 Posts
3. I have to admit my own selfish desire to see this completed has made my opinion biased...

I especially like the thought of Tommy Guns with the imperial Aquila on them...

Awesome idea....

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
#3 mafia for the win. Now go and model.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like the mob has spoken (pun intended). Mafia Stormtroopers is the way forwards, this is the one i wanted to do but i was hesitent because of the amount of sculpting i'll need to do. Sculpting isn't exactly my strong point and it would be necisary to avoid the models looking like mordians with funky hats.
Here are some random mordian models (i'm watching them on ebay at the moment so if the person who was going to get these is watching, i apologise but i am totally going to snipe them)

And here are the same models with some photoshpping to help get the idea of the changs i intend to make. For the most part i've nudged out areas which i will smooth out with files and greenstuff. New details i will need to add are in red and will probabley be mostly sculpted. I may see if i can get the drum mags for the tommies from orks. The hats i'm not too worried about as i've sculpted hats and hair on my orks before and these aren't all that much more detailed, it's the shirt/tie combo i'm a little nervous about. I'll have to modify the front hands on the weapons as well as they need to have a handle to grip the gun.

on a side note here is the picture of justin timberlake i used for reference as i couldn't find any good shots of actual mobsters.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A bit of an update on the progress on this, i've started work on my first model and i have two more mordians to work on. I've still got to work out how to make his lasgun look like a tommgun, all this really means is that i need a handle for closer to the barrel and a drum mag to go where the ammo clip normally sits on the plastic lasguns.

Here is the first model i was working on before stripping....

after stripping.....

and after sculpting. He looks better than this picture makes him look but for some reason it seems that sometimes the camera focuses better on smaller models than others. It may just be that it doesn't like dealing with the reflection from the silver. I'm finding the sculpting very difficult, i put nearly six hours into this model and still have a lot to do. can anyone give me some pointers to stop greenstuff sticking to my sclpting tools. I'm already wetting the tools but as soon as the green stuff gets wet it stops sticking to the model.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Looks damn good if you ask me. Regarding sticky Greenstuff, my only suggestion would be to let it sit for about 5min before working with it, it goes less like congealed superglue and more like well-chewed gum. Work it onto the model and get it 'gripping' before trying to sculpt it. At a glance that definitely looks like a mobster, half the job will be the paintjob. Pinstripes would be perfect but would take the hand of a master.

Here's a better reference photo than that douchebag Timberlake:

The suits themselves were mostly dark greys, only occasionally black. Shirts tended to be white or off-white, with dark grey or black vests; hats were often a contrasting colour, usually a grey-white with black band, or black with light grey band. Bright colours were very rare, usually limited to coloured pinstripes on the tie or pale coloured handkerchiefs. Blood red ties are a stereotypical mobster item, but were extremely rare on the streets.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i'm pretty certain i can't pull off pinstripes. I might give it a shot and if it fails just paint it an flat toned grey. Thanks for the tips with the g stuff i'll try it when i start the next one.

khorne's fist said:
I'd go with the IG bikers. On here somewhere are is a brilliant unit of rough riders using the SM scout bikers with cadian helmeted heads. A really effective and simple job.
If i go with bikers i wanna field a more hells angels feeling army. Big beards tattoos and choppers. I want to stay away from ork and sm bikes as i feel they are too boxy for the guard, i've still not worked out where i'll get these from though i'm looking at ww2 bike models.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
if ya want lots of IG/ Mobster looking guys i think that these guys here would be a good choice IMO Here

the Suit & Tie looks awesome!

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ah, well, it's a shame you never got to have a go at buying [cough]squats[/cough]. That's exactly what they were.
I did have some of the *censored by the inquisition* but only a few support crews to man thudd guns and cover my old blood angels. currenlt i have a scattering of them hiding out amongst the ranks of the mutants in my chaos army. Problem was that i didnt like the bike models for them othewise i might have used them for more than just allies.
fallen said:
if ya want lots of IG/ Mobster looking guys i think that these guys here would be a good choice IMO Here the Suit & Tie looks awesome
I didn't see those but i did see these several of them could have worked much more easily but i figured that it would be more of a challenge to make one from standing GW figures.
Though i'm tempted to use one of their vampires for the main honcho, with Creed's head.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Are you seriously doing this?:grin: I'm excited to see the Don (Commisar) model! (How much cash do you plan to spend in order to finish this army anyway?:)) +Rep

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
khorne's fist said:
Just found these bitz that you may find helpful. Might save you a lot of work, and they're fairly cheap. Tommy Guns
these are awesome, and you're right this would save me a heck of a lot of work. I'm still going to have to fudge some together as a lot of the mordians have their lasguns attatched to their bodies directly but still it's going to be really helpful to have the grips and drum mags premade even if i transfer them to the existing las.

Are you seriously doing this?:grin: I'm excited to see the Don (Commisar) model! (How much cash do you plan to spend in order to finish this army anyway?:)) +Rep
I'm going to give it a shot, like i said the idea's been floating around ever since i first watched the godfather so many years ago. Problem has always been that my Chaos or Orks have always taken presdence. Well now that i've decided my orks need a complete facelift and that i'm going to put my chaos army on hold untill my opponents have got slightly larger armies i need something to break up the tide of green paint.
It seemed like the perfect time to see if i could pull it off. Initially i'm just going to try a couple of squads and as for funds it depends on ebay really. I've only got 6 mordians so far but i'm watching a few more lots on ebay. The time it takes to make each guy means that making even a ten man unit is going to be hugely time consuming.

In reality i suspect that the army will get to no more than 1000 points though currently i'm working one model at a time so we'll see.

I'm thinking that the army will be led by either colonel or inquisitor Corleone and i'v epretty much decided that i need to use Creed's head....he could pretty much be Marlon Brando. I'm going to have to have a closer look at the other characters to pick parts and either use them as henchmen or officers.

I'll use as much money as i need to until i feel the army is done....and we all know that can be a long time and money. I'm thinking this will need to move to the projects thread at some point.

Thanks for the support guys . :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts