Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everbody, I just resently came into a bunch of unpainted IG for cheap (about 3,000+pts for $100!!!). I've really liked the look and play style of an infantry-heavy army, being able to issue orders is probubly one of the coolest army-wide rules out there. I havn't been able to play 40K in a LONG time so I wil start small like 500 or 1,000pts and just add on to the army once I get into the grove of playing again. I also have never played or built an army other than SM or CSM so I have no idea how much and or how many of each unit that will help my dozens or Guardsmen.

If anybody has any ideas or have a list I might could reference thaqt would be great. The only thing I know I want to add to the list is a unit of Ogryns in a Chimera for a counter-assault unit and a lot of Infantry-like squads to issue Orders to. My game group isn't against Special Characters so I might want to add Creed and Kell as I want to make use of the Orders. Don't get me wrong I want to use tanks and artillery like Leman Russes and Basilisks I just don't know how many to take and how to kit them out.

I was finally able to get a hold of the Codex and study it so I will know what people are talking about lol. So please help me out any and all IG related advice is welcomed because I'm starting fresh and being thrown in the deep-end. :victory:

Also I have been looking thru some related threads so don't think I'm trying to be lazy I just need all the help I can get and I apreciate everyones time and effort.

·
Registered
28 Posts
check out the tactica by bishop on the imperial guard its in the tactics section and is very good. it should help you come up with a basic list idea and then we can help you a lot more as we get an idea what you have.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy crap this Codex is fringgin' nuts! Its totally different than any other I've looked through. I've checked out all of the IG tacticas that I could find and they helped a lot but I'm still a little sketchy about how to play this army. I guess I need basic (noob) training, the only thing I know for sure about IG is that close combat + Guardsmen = FAIL.

I don't even know how to set up and use most units. How do you deploy? Something like this? :
PCS CCS PCS
IS IS IS IS

Anyway heres my first attempt at a 1,000pt list:

180pts
CCSquad: Vox, 3x Meltaguns, OoFleet, Chimera w/ HStubber

65pts
Marbo

65pts
PCSquad: Vox, 3x Flamers

135pts
2x ISquad: Combined, 1x Vox, GLauncher, Autocannon HWT

135pts

65pts

135pts

135pts

75pts
HWSquad: Lascannons

It looks terrible I know but I have no idea what I'm doing, someone please help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Holy crap this Codex is fringgin' nuts! Its totally different than any other I've looked through. I've checked out all of the IG tacticas that I could find and they helped a lot but I'm still a little sketchy about how to play this army. I guess I need basic (noob) training, the only thing I know for sure about IG is that close combat + Guardsmen = FAIL.
Not even. If you've got enough of them Quantity>Quality. I've trashed chaos marines in melee wit infantry platoons. :p Neways...

I don't even know how to set up and use most units. How do you deploy? Something like this? :
PCS CCS PCS
IS IS IS IS

Anyway heres my first attempt at a 1,000pt list:

180pts
CCSquad: Vox, 3x Meltaguns, OoFleet, Chimera w/ HStubber

65pts
Marbo

65pts

135pts

135pts

65pts

135pts

135pts

75pts

It looks terrible I know but I have no idea what I'm doing, someone please help.

Are you trying to make this hard for me?? This is actually quite a good list!

I realise your going for infantry spam though I would still recommend more vehicles. Maybe shove your Platoon commands in chimeras. That keeps them safe(r) so they get more orders out + I see you gave them close ranged weapons so the chimera can get them closer to the action faster when the enemy get close.

I would also recommend more spec and hvy weapons both in teams and in infantry squads. You can take 1 of each per infantry squad so you may as well. 2Autocannons and GLs per combined squad can't go wrong :). However more importantly you dont want to have just one hvy weapon squad. Many or none. Especially with lascannons that squad will die... fast! I would take another one especially seeing as you don't have much Anti tank.

Feel free to vary your guard squads a bit. There is nothing wrong with GL/AC combined squads BUT having a squad with 2 flamers instead could be handy to push forward on objectives with.

As for how to use an army thats something you really have to figure out for yourself by playing. There is no 1 way to play an army and it depends nearly entirely on Battlefield. Making a gunline with your squads and putting your heavy weapon teams and command squads just behind is good but not always practical. Terrain restrictions and opponents deployment and army can make other deployments more feasible. You often wanna concentrate guys on one flank or something and against some armies it may be wiser to keep yout squads behind chimeras or even off map to start. Play some games and decide how you wanna use them.

Hope this big block of writing helps. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks a bunch CaptainWertze, +rep for all the indeepth advice. I'm starting to get a pretty good picture of how this will look and feel. I spent my breaks at work to reconfigure the list a bit today and I also left out some details in my last post so here is my second attempt:

140pts
CCSquad: Vox, 3x Meltaguns, Chimera
(I took out the OoF because I didn't know how much my "average Joe" opponent would have in reserves in a 1,000pt game.)

65pts
Marbo
(Just because he is awsome sauce.)

120pts
PCSquad: Vox, 3x Flamers, Chimera

135pts
2x Combined ISquad: 1x Vox, 2x GLaunchers, 2x Autocannon HWTs

135pts
2x Combined ISquad: 1x Vox, 2x Flamers, 2x AutocannonHWTs
(That was a good idea.)

120pts
PCSquad: Vox, 3x Flamers, Chimera

135pts
2x Combined ISquad: 1x Vox, 2x Glaunchers, 2x Autocannon HWTs

75pts

75pts

1,000/1,000pts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I second what the good bishop wrote.

@ OP...once you build larger lists though you will need to include some form of Armour, be it Tanks or Artillery, to help support your Infantry, otherwise you will be outgunned and out maneuvered.

Still, that may be a long ways off in your plans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.