Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the catch is 5 dreads with lascannons and missle launchers. then a squad of las devestators with reroll misses. that means monolioth goes byebye 1st turn. I try to run a balanced necron army. this about a 1500 pt game and i got some flayed about 20 warriors, destroyers and immortals. I know this is not the right thread but this is my list for the purpose of creating a tactic.

hq
biped- veil,rezorb
elites
8 flayed
5 immortals
troops
20 warriors (2 squads)
fast
5 destroyers
7 scarabs (disruption fields)
1 wraith
heavy
monolith

I basically turbo boost the scarabs to tie things up and teleport immortals to do some damage on the devastators but, eventually by turn 3 most of my ppl are dying bc of immense amounts of las cannons. not to mention marines are getting into CC also. just trying to find a different necron tactic other than shooty.

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
I'm not sure how your opponent is bringing a Devastator squad that can re-roll misses. If there's a Techmarine leading the squad, which is a seperate Elites choice, then he can use his Signum to let ONE of them re-roll their missed to-hit roll, but not all of them. If they have Tank Hunters, it doesn't apply against the monolith.

The thing about the monolith is that despite being a cool model, and somewhat imposing, it's really sort of a liability. It's a lot of points and it's the only armored target the Necrons have, so every anti-tank weapon in the enemy army is going to be naturally drawn to it. In my experience, it's really better to just bring more Warriors. You can never have too many of 'em, and you ultimately don't need much else besides them.

The main thing to deal with anti-tank weapons tearing up your Warriors is to make sure you're marching in phalanxes. Ideally, you've got squads of 20 warriors marching in a loose brick, with a Lord(s) covering the squads with resurrection orbs. He can (and should) join in with one, just so he doesn't get himself shot somehow. That alone will help a lot with your survivablity.

Necrons ought to win nine out of ten times against Space Marines in close combat. It's not as nuts as it sounds-- you get back up, and they don't. It's a battle of attrition, and as long as you have an orb nearby with a Lord to ensure that the veteran sergeants don't make an unnecessary mess, you'll come out on top. The key thing to that is making sure you've got lots of Warriors, and not a lot of expensive stuff that can't do anything much better than the Warriors, like Immortals.

Ignore the devastators, meet the Marines head-on. As I've been saying, the biggest thing is making sure you're bringing enough Warriors. I'd lose the Immortals, the Flayed Ones, two of the Destroyers, the wraith, and the monolith and just bring a pair of lords and as many Warriors as you can. You just plain don't need anything else... the Warriors' gauss weapons are the best anti-tank weapons in the game...there's a reason that there really aren't any serious dedicated anti-tank units that are viable to bring (heavy destroyers are FAR too expensive for what you get out of them) in the army.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I beg to disagree son of hourus. The monolith can work well, it's just that you're letting him get too much time to shoot at it. Here's what I would do:
Deepstrike the monolith. drop into the middle of his army, and let all you little green beams of light do their job. The immortals are also a good choice as a retinue for the lord. Have him teleport around with them unleashing fire on flanks or heavy weapons (like the devestators) in places where they won't take too much fire back. I would try to drop the flayed ones and the wraith for some more warriors though, they really are the core of your army.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with Horus.

Maybe use 2 lords with the rest warriors.

Use one lord to teleport units of warriors next to the marines. At 12" the warriors will kill a lot of marines.

The las-cannons won't kill that many warriors.

Just be aggressive and kill.

·
Registered
538 Posts
monolith not necessarily bye bye turn 1. 9 lascannon and 5 ml shots total.
14 shots= 7 hits= need 5+ on las and a 6 on ml pen rolls. 1 pen and 1 glance most likely. anything other than destroyed doesn't really hurt a monolith much at all.
I wouldn't sweat it. deep strike if you still feel scared.

Lord w/orb gives you wbb on all his wpns. He has few shot with all those big guns.
your destroyers and scarabs can use terrain to block los and turn 1 or 2 for sure be lighting up all his vehicles.

any opp with vehicles is the one to worry when facing necrons.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the help. it was very informative and reassuring. I like the idea of alot of warriors too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts